The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ian Cole | #82 | D

-AJ-

16 hours ago, King Heffy said:

The last guy to take an unofficially retired number didn't exactly work out.  Management should have at least had the professionalism to give Cole enough information to make a decision.  Yet again, Rutherford chose to not do the right thing.

You’re embarrassing yourself by suggesting Rutherford made a conscious choice here. I’m projecting, and this might the wrong take, but does your hate on for management have any limits? The number is not retired. I think the club has done a nice job recognizing the contributions of the previous generation of players. Why not celebrate that instead of insinuating villainous intentions?

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, zimmy said:

You’re embarrassing yourself by suggesting Rutherford made a conscious choice here. I’m projecting, and this might the wrong take, but does your hate on for management have any limits? The number is not retired. I think the club has done a nice job recognizing the contributions of the previous generation of players. Why not celebrate that instead of insinuating villainous intentions?

I have absolutely zero respect for Rutherford.  Given his obvious character issues, I see no reason to give that worthless sack of **** the benefit of the doubt.  The sooner this dirtbag is driven out of town, the better.  It is the duty of the fans to make it clear that he isn't welcome.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I have absolutely zero respect for Rutherford.  Given his obvious character issues, I see no reason to give that worthless sack of **** the benefit of the doubt.  The sooner this dirtbag is driven out of town, the better.  It is the duty of the fans to make it clear that he isn't welcome.

Wow. I might have got a bit of spit on me from that response. I guess hate is your flavour then. I won’t ramp you up any more.  

• Haha 4

On 7/8/2023 at 5:02 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Is it really that bad that he wears number 28? I mean Bourdon also wore number 4 when he first started and his first number was 40 when he joined the organization for his first camp. Why aren't those numbers semi retired then?

I get we remember Luc as he passed away tragically but wearing that number does not disrespect the legacy he had here in Vancouver. 

Legit, we will all pass away at some point, including the players. Is this organization really going to semi retire every single number then? At that point its going to be hard to have numbers on jerseys moving forward. Remember the player and their legacy and move on. There are far more important and greater issues to be concerned about in this world than a player wearing someone else's number. Some people need to get a grip.

On 7/8/2023 at 5:50 PM, -AJ- said:

Probably a better safe than sorry move from him. The potential fallout wouldn't be worth a jersey number. Kinda starting to agree tbh though. The Canucks have done an amazing job of preserving Luc's legacy--the number thing, which isn't even official, seems unncessary.

^^^^^These^^^^^.

Canucks as an organization has done well to honour its past players, almost to a fault.  For a team that is lacking historical star power (i.e., Hall of Famers, Cup winners - which is hard to have when the team's only been the finals 3 times in 50+ seasons, perennial all-stars, etc.), it's done well with its jersey retirements, ring of honour, etc.

Just an opinion, but the notion of holding #11, #28, #37 and #38 out of circulation is unnecessary (though I have a big soft spot in my heart for Rick Rypien). 

Notwithstanding the tragedy that is loss of human life, what is Maki's legacy?  He played 2 1/2 seasons with the Canucks and was deemed a "star" of the team of nothings (110 points in 154 games while healthy during an era Esposito was scoring nearly a goal a game, Orr was revolutionizing what an offensive dman can do is hardly "star" material or what legends are made of).  It's time to let that one go. 

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Sounds like the same rhetoric that been spewed about Gillis, Benning and whoever else.

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Sounds like the same rhetoric that been spewed about Gillis, Benning and whoever else.

Gillis and Benning were idiots, but at least were respectable people and weren't constantly disgracing the franchise with their misconduct.  Rutherford combines all of the worst qualities of Gillis, Benning, and Keenan.  Not only is this management group destroying the future of the team on the ice, they're doing their best to cause as many problems as they can off the ice.

• RoughGame 3

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

The King is on the loose! All hail to the King! 
Heffy is the best. Always brings a smile to this old alien fur ball. 
:towel:

• 2 weeks later...

"Despite playing on his weak side next to a free roamer like Hedman, Cole has been a good fit. He has played on the right side before and made a quick adjustment. 

“It’s not more or less difficult,” Cole said. “There’s just different instances that are a little bit harder, (being) pinned against the board in the offensive blue line on your backhand or deep in the corner on your backhand.

“But then again, there’s the positives, being on your one-time side in the (offensive) zone and always being open for pucks (defenseman to defenseman) and stuff on your forehand, kind of seeing the whole ice.

“So, there are positives and negatives, and I think once you do it enough, you’ll learn what plays work and what plays don’t, and just kind of try to weed out the plays that don’t and stick to the ones that do work.”

For most of the season, Cole was paired with Erik Cernak and they provided a strong defensive duo for coach Jon Cooper. Their 2.86 XGA/60 at 5v5 was the best out of any pairing that spent significant time together (607 minutes). 

Cole was pretty much the standard bearer for stay-at-home defensemen last year. He didn’t provide much offense, but was solid in his own zone.

Cole was always going to be looked at, unfairly, as the “Ryan McDonagh replacement” since he was signed to fill a spot on the left side after McDonagh was traded off to the Nashville Predators in a salary cap move. If you remove that context, the Cole signing was a successful one. Evolving Hockey had him at 2.6 Standing Points Above Replacement (SPAR) due to his defensive performance. They equate that to a contract value of $8.8 million.

Sounds like he will give us a few options either as a steady presence with Hughes or can form a shutdown pair with Hronek. 

1 minute ago, canucklehead44 said:

Sounds like he will give us a few options either as a steady presence with Hughes or can form a shutdown pair with Hronek. 

Yeah, I expect him to play the role of a discount Tanev.

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, I expect him to play the role of a discount Tanev.

Hopefully stays healthier!

I guess a lot depends on the last spot. Juulsen and Wolanin both looked really good last year and are two guys who have untapped potential (Wolanin with playing college and then Covid, Juulsen with injuries) then you also have Hirose and Johansson who are wild cards coming off of strong campaigns. Rathbone and Woo are also there - it should be interesting! 

• Upvote 1

Yeah I think it'll end up being something like 

Hughes     Cole

Soucy       Hronek
(x)             Meyers

x = battle for spot between young guys. Main options likely - Rathbone, Brise, Hirose. Irwin is your #7

If Meyers gets moved then perhaps Juulsen goes for that last RD spot. Also a chance if enough cap moves we go for something like Dumba on a 1 year or even give Bear a 1 year deal after he heals up. 

Better then last year maybe, mainly due to more defensive dman brought in. Everything pretty much rides on Hughes being stellar again and Hronek living up to the hype. Soucy will be given a bigger role to see if he can manage it. Cole should be fine with Hughes, he's played with all sorts of great Dmen before. Bottom pair is unknown, but kinda exciting and I'm hoping more young guys go for those spots. 

On 7/9/2023 at 1:12 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Yup.  Braden Holtby.  I forgot about that. He didn’t even have the opportunity to wear it before he was vilified in the media.  The dude who designed his mask was Swedish, same guy who designed all his masks.  No wonder he played so poorly here, it was toxic right from the beginning.  Hopefully Cole has no hard feelings about this and people stop harassing him now. 

I don’t remember that mask. What was the controversy?

On 7/15/2023 at 11:41 AM, zimmy said:

Wow. I might have got a bit of spit on me from that response. I guess hate is your flavour then. I won’t ramp you up any more.  

On 7/15/2023 at 1:11 PM, -AJ- said:

You have now survived the King Heffy Trial Initiation. Welcome, friend.

Part of me wants Rutherford to go over Allvin and trade for Tyson Barrie, just to see Heffy's response....:bigblush:

nuclear-nuclearbomb.gif

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

I don’t remember that mask. What was the controversy?

I believe he had a mask with a native-style design that wasn't actually made by a native artist. There was a bit of a fallout and he had it redone by a native artist and the people were appeased. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I believe he had a mask with a native-style design that wasn't actually made by a native artist. There was a bit of a fallout and he had it redone by a native artist and the people were appeased. 

Oh, that’s right. I recall that now. Thanks!

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...