The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ian Cole | #82 | D

-AJ-

Sounds like how Jim Benning was for us as a NHL defenseman.  Exactly what the team needs.  Short term deal, not too much money.  Safe & reliable (and as someone said, not too flashy).  Weird how JB was unable to get a player that played like him for 7 years.

edit:  correction, Schenn was such a player.

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Maybe?

Hughes - Cole

Soucy - Hronek

Irwin - Woo

Hirose

Unless Woo has continued to improve dramatically, I'd be concerned if he makes the team. Hirose is above him IMO and Myers is obviously missing from your roster, so I presume you're thinking we shed some draft picks to lose his last year?

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Unless Woo has continued to improve dramatically, I'd be concerned if he makes the team. Hirose is above him IMO and Myers is obviously missing from your roster, so I presume you're thinking we shed some draft picks to lose his last year?

Concerning Myers; there is a possibility that they have talked at length with his agent and Tyler on Tyler's wishes going forward and if he would consider playing out this season and signing a new contract next of season at a reduced amount or if he wants to test the free market.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

You're probably right about Woo, he might be edged out, but that's okay too. Another year in Abby wouldn't be a bad thing. I just have high hopes for him to make it.  

14 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

You're probably right about Woo, he might be edged out, but that's okay too. Another year in Abby wouldn't be a bad thing. I just have high hopes for him to make it.  

He definitely improved quite a bit near the end of the year in Abby, but I'm not sure he's NHL level yet.

Here's an article from Sports Forecaster describing an interesting past connection between Cole and Soucy that I was not aware of before reading:  

Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 5:54pm

COLE FOR PATERYN

The Colorado Avalanche acquired defenseman Greg Pateryn from the Minnesota Wild for defenseman Ian Cole.

What does it give the Colorado Avalanche
For the Avalanche, this trade is mostly about savings. Even after retaining $800,000 of Cole's contract, Colorado will still save $1.2 million in cap space by swapping Cole for Pateryn. This move may also open up more playing time for prospects Conor TImmins and Bowen Byram. Pateryn figures to play the role of No. 6-7 defenseman with the Avs this season.

What does it give the Minnesota Wild
Wild GM Bill Guerin is familiar with Cole from their days together in Pittsburgh, so it is not a coincidence that the latter is now a member of the Wild. Look for Cole to take Pateryn's spot in Minnesota's lineup (alongside Carson Soucy). The left-handed Cole can play either side, which adds to his overall value. He also has Stanley Cup rings, which is also an added bonus.

• Thanks 1

I never realized Cole was brought to MIN to play in a D pairing with Soucy. Do you think they'll use that pairing in VAN?

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Cole

I know Hughes and Hronek are both considered offensive Dmen, and some might question putting together two ODs, but they're the best skaters and the best D on the team, so why not? That is a high end D pairing. Chances are, if they don't have the puck, they'll get it. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I know Hughes and Hronek are both considered offensive Dmen, and some might question putting together two ODs, but they're the best skaters and the best D on the team, so why not? That is a high end D pairing. Chances are, if they don't have the puck, they'll get it .

Get it? like dig it out of the back of our net?