The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ian Cole | #82 | D

-AJ-

• -AJ- changed the title to Ian Cole | #28 | D
14 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Classy.

Is it really that bad that he wears number 28? I mean Bourdon also wore number 4 when he first started and his first number was 40 when he joined the organization for his first camp. Why aren't those numbers semi retired then?

I get we remember Luc as he passed away tragically but wearing that number does not disrespect the legacy he had here in Vancouver. 

Legit, we will all pass away at some point, including the players. Is this organization really going to semi retire every single number then? At that point its going to be hard to have numbers on jerseys moving forward. Remember the player and their legacy and move on. There are far more important and greater issues to be concerned about in this world than a player wearing someone else's number. Some people need to get a grip.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Cheers 3

• -AJ- changed the title to Ian Cole | #82 | D
47 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Is it really that bad that he wears number 28? I mean Bourdon also wore number 4 when he first started and his first number was 40 when he joined the organization for his first camp. Why aren't those numbers semi retired then?

I get we remember Luc as he passed away tragically but wearing that number does not disrespect the legacy he had here in Vancouver. 

Legit, we will all pass away at some point, including the players. Is this organization really going to semi retire every single number then? At that point its going to be hard to have numbers on jerseys moving forward. Remember the player and their legacy and move on. There are far more important and greater issues to be concerned about in this world than a player wearing someone else's number. Some people need to get a grip.

Probably a better safe than sorry move from him. The potential fallout wouldn't be worth a jersey number. Kinda starting to agree tbh though. The Canucks have done an amazing job of preserving Luc's legacy--the number thing, which isn't even official, seems unncessary.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, mordekai said:

We didn’t have issues people wearing Demitra’s 38 after his tragic death…

oreskovich and Bailey both wore 38 

That’s quite a reach. Demitra played for multiple teams, most notably the Blues. Canucks were a footnote at the end of his career. Plus, he didn’t actually die when he was a Canuck. 

• There it is 1

Public pressure forced him to do this.  He literally asked what number he wanted and was given the number he has always worn.  Then the Canucks hang him out to dry and he is forced to make a statement on his own and change his number. 

This is an embarrassment to one of our new players and the Canucks should take responsibility for putting Ian Cole in such a sh*t position. Next time don’t hand out the numbers that are supposedly out of service. We all know which numbers they are.  

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Public pressure forced him to do this.  He literally asked what number he wanted and was given the number he has always worn.  Then the Canucks hang him out to dry and he is forced to make a statement on his own and change his number. 

This is an embarrassment to one of our new players and the Canucks should take responsibility for putting Ian Cole in such a sh*t position. Next time don’t hand out the numbers that are supposedly out of service. We all know which numbers they are.  

And then the same people wonder why everyone calls Canucks fans and media toxic :picard:

• There it is 3

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Reminds me of the goalie mask fiasco a few years back. New player to our club gets blindsided for the painting on his mask. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Pears said:

And then the same people wonder why everyone calls Canucks fans and media toxic :picard:

Twitter literally blew up today. There were pictures of Wayne Maki everywhere. Cole probably thought “what the f*ck did I just do, I literally just asked for my old number that I’ve worn my entire career”…

Like he is supposed to remember what happened 15 years ago and also the number that the player wore…

• Like 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Reminds me of the goalie mask fiasco a few years back. New player to our club gets blindsided for the painting on his mask. 

Yup.  Braden Holtby.  I forgot about that. He didn’t even have the opportunity to wear it before he was vilified in the media.  The dude who designed his mask was Swedish, same guy who designed all his masks.  No wonder he played so poorly here, it was toxic right from the beginning.  Hopefully Cole has no hard feelings about this and people stop harassing him now. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Definitely a nice gesture by Cole, but as others have said I just hope that the team didn't feel backed into a corner to have him change it.

Bourdon's passing and the way in which it happened was very tragic. The Canucks have done a good job over the years trying to honor him. However, he wasn't really a big enough part of the organization to have his number permanently retired and I think it should be okay for his number to be worn again.

10 hours ago, D-Money said:

That’s quite a reach. Demitra played for multiple teams, most notably the Blues. Canucks were a footnote at the end of his career. Plus, he didn’t actually die when he was a Canuck. 

I actually don't think that's much of a stretch. We were the last team Demitra played for in the NHL and Demitra actually played more games for the Canucks than Bourdon played AHL and NHL combined. Bourdon's passing was incredibly tragic in part due to how young he was but Demitra dying in a plane crash (while still playing at a very high caliber) is also quite a tragic story.

• There it is 1

Classy move, he had to do it, you can't go head to head against the fans before your first shift. I doubt he would have been booed but it wouldn't have been pretty, whereas now I think he'll get a little extra cheer for him. Think he's going to absolutely rock a lot of people and stand up for Hughes and become a fan favourite much the way Schenn was. The fans know what this team needs and it's more guys like Cole.

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Classy move, he had to do it, you can't go head to head against the fans before your first shift. I doubt he would have been booed but it wouldn't have been pretty, whereas now I think he'll get a little extra cheer for him. Think he's going to absolutely rock a lot of people and stand up for Hughes and become a fan favourite much the way Schenn was. The fans know what this team needs and it's more guys like Cole.

It’s sad but it’s just a number.  He died like 15 years ago.  Shouldn’t of even been pressed to change.

16 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yup.  Braden Holtby.  I forgot about that. He didn’t even have the opportunity to wear it before he was vilified in the media.  The dude who designed his mask was Swedish, same guy who designed all his masks.  No wonder he played so poorly here, it was toxic right from the beginning.  Hopefully Cole has no hard feelings about this and people stop harassing him now. 

I blame the dirtbags in the management group that allowed this to happen far more than a player asking for his number.  Rutherford and Allvin have repeatedly proven that they don't care how much they disgrace the franchise with their complete lack of professionalism.  No hard feelings on my end towards a player who cleaned up a mess that would never have occurred under respectable management.

Rutherford and Allvin are giving Keenan a run for his money with the obvious character issues.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I blame the dirtbags in the management group that allowed this to happen far more than a player asking for his number.  Rutherford and Allvin have repeatedly proven that they don't care how much they disgrace the franchise with their complete lack of professionalism.  No hard feelings on my end towards a player who cleaned up a mess that would never have occurred under respectable management.

Rutherford and Allvin are giving Keenan a run for his money with the obvious character issues.

I wouldn't go that far lol. Rutherford and Allvin had a blunder with Boudreau due to a media leak and honestly should just retire 28 if no one is allowed to wear it. Keenan was on a whole other level with actually destroying the spirit and soul of the franchise. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

On 7/9/2023 at 5:48 PM, King Heffy said:

It wasn’t management or Ian Cole. It was the fans who can’t let go after 15 years. Now I loved Luc as much as the next fan, but if the number ain’t retired, eventually someone else is going to wear it. Why not Ian? Otherwise retire it officially. This “it’s not retired but it is” is stupid.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

It wasn’t management or Ian Cole. It was the fans who can’t let go after 15 years. Now I loved Luc as much as the next fan, but if the number ain’t retired, eventually someone else is going to wear it. Why not Ian? Otherwise retire it officially. This “it’s not retired but it is” is stupid.

The last guy to take an unofficially retired number didn't exactly work out.  Management should have at least had the professionalism to give Cole enough information to make a decision.  Yet again, Rutherford chose to not do the right thing.