The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's Your Opening Night Lineup?

Rate this topic

AngryElf

i think we should be more concerned about who gets move this summer.

i have myers gone; one of beauvillier, garland or boeser gone and pearson either on ltir, waved or 2 soft forwards moved. poolman on ltir.

i want each line to employ a scorer, playmaker and grit.

tocchets wants board battlers to make the team harder to play against. that is why he loves joshua and PDG.

only one of the following players should be on each line...kuzmenko, boeser, beauvillier, and hoglander.

i don't see many of your lines being hard to play against.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i have myers gone; one of beauvillier, garland or boeser gone and pearson either on ltir, waved or 2 soft forwards moved. poolman on ltir.

tocchets wants board battlers to make the team harder to play against. that is why he loves joshua and PDG.

only one of the following players should be on each line...kuzmenko, boeser, beauvillier, and hoglander.

Agreed Joe. :metal:

6 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I just can't see a lineup like that. Joshua is not playing with Petey and Kuz will not be on the fourth line. Also no Studnicka :sick: .... this is a doomsday scenario lineup. Aman and Pearson will be contending for spots.

One can only hope.

I hope i'm wrong but we saw plenty of that last year.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

I'am really hoping we trade on or two of those guys too but I am not very hopeful of it happening at this point. Maybe some other team sees a need or opens some cap space that enable such a move. Fingers crossed. Garland, Myers, Beauvillier and Boeser, in that order for me. I'd be absolutely fine with all of the first 3 going. Then maybe look at a guy like Comtois depending on the outcome of the Hockey Canada scandal. Maybe Ritchie or even Motte, hmmm I don't know about those last 2 but maybe.

4 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'am really hoping we trade on or two of those guys too but I am not very hopeful of it happening at this point. Maybe some other team sees a need or opens some cap space that enable such a move. Fingers crossed. Garland, Myers, Beauvillier and Boeser, in that order for me. I'd be absolutely fine with all of the first 3 going. Then maybe look at a guy like Comtois depending on the outcome of the Hockey Canada scandal. Maybe Ritchie or even Motte, hmmm I don't know about those last 2 but maybe.

Yea lets add motte and change our name to the vancouver smurfs.

20 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Yea lets add motte and change our name to the vancouver smurfs.

No doubt Motte’s small, but even though adding him would slightly bring down the Canucks’ average height, this team would probably play “bigger” with him in the lineup.

Motte would likely finish top-3 for hits among Vancouver’s forwards, even if he played just 4th line minutes for the Canucks next season.

I’m not necessarily arguing for re-acquiring Motte. But if he came into camp on a PTO and earned a cheap deal, I’d have no issues with the Canucks adding him. I’d also have zero worries about his effect on the team’s size. He’d probably make these current Canucks faster, more physical, and harder to play against.

(I’m just not sure whether that’s praise for Motte, or an indictment of this roster?) 

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

No doubt Motte’s small, but even though adding him would slightly bring down the Canucks’ average height, this team would probably play “bigger” with him in the lineup.

Motte would likely finish top-3 for hits among Vancouver’s forwards, even if he played just 4th line minutes for the Canucks next season.

I’m not necessarily arguing for re-acquiring Motte. But if he came into camp on a PTO and earned a cheap deal, I’d have no issues with the Canucks adding him. I’d also have zero worries about his effect on the team’s size. He’d probably make these current Canucks faster, more physical, and harder to play against.

(I’m just not sure whether that’s praise for Motte, or an indictment of this roster?) 

Well said, Sid

My opening night roster;

Che Lance Beercan

Raz Me Jay

Chris Mark Rando

Little Sean Big Shawn

Shannon Russ

Aaron

(Spence)

Lance is really good. Che can't skate but he toe drags his attackers and has a bomb. We call Beercan 'Beercan' cuz he collects all the empties to fund his weed habit, and we have too many Shawns.

Raz is lazy and gets shit on a lot. Jay is lazy but he's actually good, so he gets away with it. I'm solid af and do all the work but the refs never give me my points like wtf!

Chris sucks but always pays his fees so we keep him. Mark runs the team and fronts all the money so we overlook the fact he's pushing 90 or whatever. Rando is whichever rando shows up. Sometimes we have two Randos and it messes up the lines.

Little Sean's a great Dman. So is Big Shawn.

Shannon isn't a girl. Russ is a lawyer or something.

I hope Aaron starts, cuz Spence sucks and whines a lot.

We'll win the division and lose in the playoffs like every season. Traditions are cool.

• Haha 1

Jett woo;

"My expectations are nothing less than playing in the NHL,” said Woo. “That’s my priority. That’s my goal. I feel like I’ve taken some good steps, especially this summer and I’m coming in ready. I’m going to be a prick on the ice and I’m going to be one of the leaders as well. I’m excited and I definitely have some fire in my belly and I’m just going to come in and play the best hockey I can.”

hoping this guy can find a role on the team if not this year than maybe when Myers is gone or resigns cheap (plays a smaller role) and Cole will be gone next year (most likely our 3rd RSD this year). We definitely need some more of the attitude bolded there. 

https://canucksarmy.com/news/expectations-nothing-less-playing-nhl-confident-motivated-jett-woo-canucks-camp-2

Forwards:

Kuzy - Petey - Micky

Hogz - Miller - Boeser

Beauvillier - Suter - Garland

Joshua - Bleuger - Podz

PDG/Aman

Really banking on Hoglander breaking out this year. If he falters Tochett will hand his spot to PDG pretty fast. Would love to see him have a huge year though.

Other than that I think these lines look solid. Definitely will be some interesting battles in camp. Also a relatively young lineup. I believe Miller is the only forward in his thirties.

Defense:

Hughes - Cole

Soucy - Hronek

Wolanin - Myers

OR

Hughes - Juulsen

Cole - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

I really liked Juulsen's game in Abbotsford last year. He looked too good for that league. If he could establish himself as a legitimate option on the right side with Hughes that would be so huge for this team. It's probably asking a bit much from a guy who's 26 and hasn't broken through as an everyday NHLer yet though. 

I think the first group is a lot more likely. I'm really excited to see Wolanin for a full season. I think he has the potential to be this year's unsung hero. Won't be surprised if we view him as an important piece by the end of the year.

These pairings don't even take a potential Myers trade into consideration. Not to mention guys like Hirose, Johansen, Brisebois, Matt Irwin and Jett Woo. Gonna be really interesting to see how it all shakes out. 

I definitely think Hirose and Woo will play games in the NHL this year. Just how many they play will be the bigger question.

Johansen is a wild-card. Former first round pick that the organization is really high on. I don't have big expectations but who knows maybe he'll surprise us.

Man I wish camp would start already.

• Cheers 2

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Mikheyev

Joshua - Miller - Boeser

Di Giuseppe - Blueger - Podkolzin

Hoglander

Hughes - Cole

Soucey - Hronek

Wolanin - Myers

Irwin - Brisebois

Demko

Martin

I would like to see Hoglander push himself onto the roster, but we need that kind of forward depth to cover for injuries so someone will have to be the odd man out to start the season.  If Pearson is back healthy, he takes Joshua or DG's spot. I like adding a physical winger to a scoring center-winger pair, instead of using 3 scoring forwards together. It spreads out the offence and salary throughout the lineup, makes the line harder to play against, and given there is only one puck, having 3 skilled forwards together has diminishing returns as you are better off giving more touches to your best guys by giving them a physical winger who can get them more time and space with the puck and win puck battles. Strong guys drive the middle of the ice, and speed guys push defenders deeper on the rush.

17 hours ago, sashimii said:

Forwards:

Kuzy - Petey - Micky

Hogz - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - Bleuger - Podz

PDG/Aman

Really banking on Hoglander breaking out this year. If he falters Tochett will hand his spot to PDG pretty fast. Would love to see him have a huge year though.

Other than that I think these lines look solid. Definitely will be some interesting battles in camp. Also a relatively young lineup. I believe Miller is the only forward in his thirties.

Defense:

Hughes - Cole

Soucy - Hronek

Wolanin - Myers

OR

Hughes - Juulsen

Cole - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

I really liked Juulsen's game in Abbotsford last year. He looked too good for that league. If he could establish himself as a legitimate option on the right side with Hughes that would be so huge for this team. It's probably asking a bit much from a guy who's 26 and hasn't broken through as an everyday NHLer yet though. 

I think the first group is a lot more likely. I'm really excited to see Wolanin for a full season. I think he has the potential to be this year's unsung hero. Won't be surprised if we view him as an important piece by the end of the year.

These pairings don't even take a potential Myers trade into consideration. Not to mention guys like Hirose, Johansen, Brisebois, Matt Irwin and Jett Woo. Gonna be really interesting to see how it all shakes out. 

I definitely think Hirose and Woo will play games in the NHL this year. Just how many they play will be the bigger question.

Johansen is a wild-card. Former first round pick that the organization is really high on. I don't have big expectations but who knows maybe he'll surprise us.

Man I wish camp would start already.

Love this lineup. Well done

I’m intrigued by a third line of Podz - Suter - Mikheyev. Wonder if they’ll get a look together as a checking line.

Edited by Ted Lasso
  • Cheers 1

Kuzmenko-Petey-Mikheyev

Beauvillier-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Suter-Garland

PDG-Bleuger-Podkolzin

Hughes-Hronek

Cole-Myers

Soucy-Juulsen

Demko

I don’t think we have the personnel to run a traditional “shutdown” 3rd line - unless I guess as Lasso says we drop Mikheyev down there - but with Suter we should be able to roll out a defensively responsible group that can add some secondary scoring.  

Suter-Garland is a little light in the pants but I like the idea of Garland driving the offence setting up Suter and literally any of our depth wingers (Joshua, Pearson, Podkolzin, heck PDG had 6 in 30 games) - all solid depth goal scorers. 

Keep the 4th line heavier and while again they aren’t “matchup” good they should be able to give a gritty 12 minutes a night.

Ideally, I’d let Petey go head to head against the other teams top lines and try and let Miller take some easier matchups.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Cheers 1