The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's Your Opening Night Lineup?

Rate this topic

AngryElf

1 hour ago, KirkSave said:

I know it ain't gonna happen but for years I have coveted my neighbour's third line C. Adam Lowry is everything I have ever wanted in a 3C. Big, mean, can skate and has some offensive acumen, pretty decent shutdown guy.

I'm a sinner and I know. it

Adam Lowry to the Canucks...

Never gonna happen,

So I consume all the double chocolate donuts!

I'd love that on D as well...  But like you, I'm NOT holding my breath! 

• Cheers 1

On 7/10/2023 at 10:52 AM, BigTramFan said:

Pair Hughes with Hronek (they will be our Makar-Toews pairing)

Pair Soucy with Cole (proven chemistry in MIN in 2020-21)

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

Garland - Miller - Boeser

Pearson - Blueger - Hoglander

Joshua - Aman - Podkolzin

(PDG)

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Cole

Hirose - Myers

(Irwin, Woo)

Demko (Silovs)

Traded: Beauvillier

I think our D will be all over the place next year. I think Cole starts as top pairing RD with Hughes though, just gives us an element of a rich-man's Schenn which worked so well. I think next up Soucy will be the physical shutdown guy to play with Hronek and then Myers and one of Irwin, Rathbone or Hirose.

That being said, as the season goes on you know we'll see Hronek and Hughes together - our two best defencemen. We'll see a lot of them together probably late in the game if we're chasing a lead, then Soucy and Cole together as a bit of a shutdown physical pairing.

On PK I'm sure Soucy-Cole will be our top pairing so everyone will probably play with everyone else at some point in our top-4, but the bottom pairing will be a constant rotation depending on how those kids play, and also how good Irwin still is, but also Wolanin has a stab at taking the 3LD spot.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Mik-Miller-Boeser

Kuz-EP-PDG

Garland-Blueger-Beau

Joshua-Aman-Podz

Hogz

Huggy-Cole

Soucy-Hro

Myers-Wooly

Breezer

Demko

Silovs

I think this is actually pretty close. Big question in net is, will they leave Silovs in Abbotsford for the first part of the year and let him learn to dominate before making him the default backup. They can always call him up for a game here and there with the AHL team being just up the highway.

I think Woo will stick around on the team as #7 or #8 and that there's a solid chance that we go with 8 D to start the year with a long road trip in the first 2 weeks.

I also think there's a really good chance that we don't make any more substantial trades until late in camp or the start of the season. We are cap compliant as we sit right now, and there will ALWAYS be injuries in training camp. It happens every year that we have at least one player moved to LTIR from a camp injury, and it happens with other teams as well. As other teams experience holes in their forward lines, it may open opportunity to move someone like Garland.

Kuzmenko               Petey               Mikheyev

Beauvillier               Miller                Boeser

Joshua                    Blueger            Garland

Podkolzin                Aman               Klimovich

Di Giuseppi

Hughes               Cole

Soucy                 Hronek

Wolanin              Myers

Brisebois

Demko

Silovs

I have a lot of boldness in my line-up but the boldest is Klimovich.

In his second AHL season, he really upped his game and looks to be, at least, a bottom six shut-down player with offensive up-side and could move up in the line-up.

I believe he'll, at least be one of the last cuts, if he needs more development but, I see him, getting to start the season with the team with a real chance to stick.

In a limited role, Podkolzin can be an effective player. To this point in his development, top six may be out of reach but, with more time, he should be a third line player in his prime. For now, however, he gets a fourth line spot.

Imo, the biggest question mark is second line RW. If Boeser ", stumbles out of the gate," look for Garland to move up. If both falter, we're in trouble, given their salaries, market value and our lack of cap-space.

Silovs, imo, is our second best goalie and should be in the second position where he can get 20-25 starts and continue his development.

This team still has a ways to go before it can be considered a true contender but, this also provides opportunity for players like Klimovich, Podkolzin, and others, not in the line-up, to step up and showcase themselves.

With the additions of Cole and Soucy, comes greater defensive capability and physicality; two aspects this team, sorely, lacked in. We should see a better penalty kill and a significant reduction in goals against. 

I believe next season will bring back playoff hockey to BC.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I'm not sure what's more interesting, what the Top 6 will look like, or the Bottom 6.

Top 6 - Kuzmenko, Pettersson, Beauvillier, Boeser, Miller, Mikheyev, Garland

(someone has to go)

My Guess:

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Boeser

Mikheyev - Miller - Beauvillier

Bottom 6  - Podkolzin, Blueger, Hoglander, Joshua, Aman, DiGiuseppe, Studnicka, Dries, Pearson, Karlsson, McDonough, Bains, Klimovich

(around 6 players need to go (Abby etc)

My Guess:

Hoglander - Blueger - Joshua

DiGiuseppe - Aman - Podkolzin

Pearson*

Kuz - Petey - Beau

Capitalize on proven chemistry, with Kuz & Petey dominating possession, and Beau complimenting with speed, forechecking and finishing ability. Beau will be highly motivated in a career year, and should optimize his asset value on this line for a (potential) future trade.

Högs - Miller - Boeser

Recapture chemistry from the bubble year while relieving this line from matchup duty. JTM brings his improved two-way acumen to be the defensive conscience on this line. Högs plays the role of skilled pest, and Boeser gets a second chance at 30g with two excellent passers.

Pearson* - Suter* - Mikheyev 

*Assuming Pearson is healthy, flank our smaller two way C with our biggest and best defensive wingers, forming our new matchup line. Suter provides top 6C insurance, plus more skill to the 3C role until our prospects like Räty or Sasson are ready to take over. 

PDG - Blueger - Joshua

Tocchet’s two favourite wall guys provide a strong north/south game with our new defensive center, forming a secondary matchup/energy line. If Pearson needs more time to get in game shape, PDG takes his place on third line, with Åman drawing in on the fourth.

Studnicka

Capitalizing on waiver eligibility, Åman and Podkolzin start the year in Abby, building confidence and chemistry with our growing pool of prospects. Studnicka provides flexibility to play center or wing, and will be hungry to earn a spot, and his next contract.

bolded are ‘forward pairs,’ that largely remain together

* sign Pius Suter to a 1 year, $1.5M deal

——————————

Hughes - Lyubushkin** (aka Thuggy Bear)

The Russian Bear is a 6’2, 200+lb RHD, known for sound defence and big open ice hits. He is a purely defensive dman that has played well against top lines while with Arizona. To be clear, he is a bottom pair calibre dman, auditioning for the complimentary ‘Hughes caddy’ role.

Cole - Hronek

Cole provides the size (225 lbs), physicality, and shutdown ability to the second pairing. With the most legitimate top 4 experience of our remaining left side Dmen, Cole helps get the most out of Hronek in his first full year as a Canuck, while taking over OEL’s minutes.

Soucy - Myers

Standing at a combined 13’1”, this has to be one of the biggest D pairs in the NHL. Soucy’s strengths are denying zone entries, strong 1/1 coverage, and throwing big hits. He can hold down the d-zone when Myers joins the rush. Myers should effectively shut down the oppositions bottom 6 forwards in a reduced role.

Irwin

Likely signed for this purpose, Irwin allows our younger d prospects the best chance to develop in Abby. 

** trade Garland + 2024 3rd to Buffalo for Lyubushkin (and $2.2Mcap space)

——————————————

Demko

Martin

As has been suggested, Silovs comes up for longer stretches when needed.

——————————————

PP1

Kuz 

Boeser - Miller - Petey

Hughes

Help Boeser regain his form by moving him to PP1, possibly the bumper spot, or the left point. Petey’s shot from the right, Hughes walking the line, Kuz around the net, and Miller dropping blind passes…what could go wrong?

PP2

Högs

Mikheyev - Suter - Beau

Hronek  

Suter provides a modest upgrade from Dries on the 2nd unit. Högs sticks around the net, Mikheyev provides a right shot option, while Hronek mans the point (hopefully showcasing his bomb with a fully recovered shoulder).

——————————————

PK1

Suter - Mikheyev

Cole - Hronek

Our first PK unit leverages chemistry from our 3rd line ‘forward pair,’ and 2nd D pair, where they are building reps together in match up / shutdown capacities.

PK2

Pearson - Blueger

Soucy - Myers

Our next best defensive forwards relieve Petey and Miller from substantial PK responsibilities. As with PK1, this unit borrows chemistry from an existing (3rd) d pairing, who are primarily deployed for shutdown duties. 

PK3 (last shift of the PK) 

Miller - Petey

Hughes - Hronek

Miller and Petey built some great short handed chemistry at the end of the season. Would love to see what these core 4 can do against the opposition’s second PP unit.

——————————————

Overload (delayed penalties / last shift of the period)

Kuz - Miller - Petey

Hronek - Hughes

Damn. That is all.

Edited by Ted Lasso
  • Cheers 2

On 7/10/2023 at 6:39 PM, KirkSave said:

I know it ain't gonna happen but for years I have coveted my neighbour's third line C. Adam Lowry is everything I have ever wanted in a 3C. Big, mean, can skate and has some offensive acumen, pretty decent shutdown guy.

I'm a sinner and I know. it

Adam Lowry to the Canucks...

Never gonna happen,

So I consume all the double chocolate donuts!

I wouldn’t be upset if Canucks took a flyer on Jujhar Khaira, who is available.

Big, tough, has some offensive skills, and is a local kid.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

Kuz - Petey - Beau

Mik - Miller - Boeser

Pearson - Bluger - Podz

PDG - Aman - Joshua

Dries

Hughes - Cole

Soucy - Hronek

Brisebois - Myers

Wolanin - Woo

Demko

Martin

Garland moved. If Boes/Beau get moved instead, then Podz moves up to replace and Garland fills in on third line.

Try to think like and NHL coach here.  Tocchet wants North-South hockey (Read: Dump and chase-sigh).

First line is easy.

Mik-EP-Kuz.  With Mike and EP together this gives forechecking and defensive presence to the line.  I think this is the one thing we know in the forwards.  Can be your first line, all situation line, can take easy or tough matchup.

Beau-JTM-Brock.- This is where it gets tough.  We have Beau and we need to use him.  He provides lots of North as is decent forechecker and could score 20-22 goals if all goes right, no South to his game at all, defensively questionable.  JT is JT.  Brock like Beau needs to play and needs to play on an offensive line.  Two players showcased with JT and this line is one that will need protection and smart usage.  Not putting them out in defensive zone or against elite offensive player.  We have those winger, we need to use them and we really will need scoring next year.

Joshua-Bluger-Podz-Every coach loves a momentum killing line.  This line will suck the energy out of every building including ours.  They can be used in tough matchups and won't be expected to provide any offence though Podz could.  I see Podz sliding into Kuzmenko's role in close games with a lead.

Pearson-Raty-Hogz/Aman/Garland- We need a 4th line and it needs a centre.  Only 2 options Raty and Aman.  Pearson will give some veteran presence and can slide up to JTM when Beau is struggling.  Can't have both of Hoglander and Garland playing in bottom 6 at same time, especially if you want an eraser line like Blugers.

• 4 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Mikheyev Petey Kuzmenko 

Podzilla Miller Boeser 

Hoglander Suter Garland

Joshua Blueger Aman 

PDG 

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Cole 

Briseboi Myers

Irwin 

Demko 

Martin

Trade Beau and Rathbone for a prospect/ or pick.

Management and coaches like Beau so i doubt hes being traded. He was the only winger that clicked with both Miller and Petey last yr.  Skates well, can carry the puck and make things happen- theres no reason to not keep him.  Pdg deserves a spot. Hes an nhler and brought the best out in Miller last yr.  

That 3rd line is way too small.  

I agree though podz and hogz need to play in top 9.   

Im pretty sure they are trying to unload a few wingers still and find a top 4 dman.

Edited by EddieVedder

It’s all about pairings. We can’t load up too much on one line which is why I think we’ll see:

Kuzmenko Pettersson Beauvillier

Garland Miller Boeser

Podkolzin Suter Mikheyev

Joshua Blueger Hoglander 

Hughes Hronek

Cole Soucy

Brisebois Myers

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

It’s all about pairings. We can’t load up too much on one line which is why I think we’ll see:

Garland Miller Boeser

Podkolzin Suter Mikheyev

Joshua Blueger Hoglander 

Hughes Hronek

Cole Soucy

Brisebois Myers

I think you nailed the forward group 

imo D still needs work 

especially another top 4 LD 

Hughes Cole 

soucy Hronek

irwin Myers 

D not great 

it’s ok 

52 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Garland Miller Boeser

Podkolzin Suter Mikheyev

Joshua Blueger Hoglander 

Hughes Hronek

Cole Soucy

Brisebois Myers

i'm ok with this but i still rather mik with pettersson.. beau had a hot start.. and then he was back to his islander pace in march and april. 3 goals in 22 games.. and doesnt' look that good at all. i rather load up the top line with guys that have known to work well.. because the 2nd line is a question mark for me.. garland in my opinion needs to go he works hard and what not.. but his stats against the good team and his production against them is horrendous

• Cheers 1