The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's Your Opening Night Lineup?

Rate this topic

AngryElf

With day one of free agency in the books, I'm asking you what you think our opening night lineup looks like. You can suggest trades will be made, but try and keep it as specific as possible :) 

Kuzmenko - Petey - Beauvillier (duh)

Di Giuseppe - Miller - Boeser (one of our best line combos last year and Tocchet loves PDG)

Mikheyev - Blueger - Podkolzin (Speed, skill, and defensively responsible, may struggle finishing chances though)

Joshua - Aman - Studnicka (Another successful line from last year, although Studnicka took faceoffs iirc)

Dries (Tocchet's guy, swap with Aman if he starts cold)

*Pearson will probably not be able to play night one, but as he comes in he can either push Podkolzin or Studnicka out

Hughes - Peeke (Solid in transition both ways, and Peeke can be Hughes' long term partner)

Cole - Hronek (Similar to above, Hronek drives offense while Cole makes up for defensive deficiencies. Cole is in the top 4% when it comes to defensive play, let's see if he can continue that)

Soucy - Myers (two big men with very different styles, hoping Soucy's aggressiveness forces Myers to do the same without being pure chaos)

Demko (duh)

Martin (Start Arty in Abbotsford unless he runs away with the backup job. If he proves he's ready, trade Martin for a mid pick and leave Abbotsford for the kids Sawchenko and Tolopilo)

I'm assuming we deal with Columbus around Garland for Peeke. They're moving towards contention and Garland would be one of the most proficient players at 5v5 for them. Peeke is an odd man out in Columbus but I could very much see him flourishing here. Strong along the boards and defensively responsible, perfect for Tocchet. 

PP1: 

Kuz - Miller - Beauvillier 

Hughes - Pettersson 

No change from last year.

PP2: 

Mikheyev - Blueger - Boeser

Hronek - Podkolzin

Get's Boeser out of the faceoff dot and into a more prominent passing role. Mikheyev and Podkolzin can also switch if we need his speed at the point. 

PK1: 

Blueger - Pettersson 

Soucy - Cole 

One of the best starting PK groups in the league. Soucy has a great first pass and Blueger isn't slow, so look for lots of shorthanded opportunities. 

PK2: 

Miller - Mikheyev 

Hughes - Peeke

Again, focusing on aggression. Hughes can feed Miller and Mikheyev all day long with stretch passes, and it allows us to take some risk knowing we have one of the top goalies in the league. 

Edited by AngryElf

ikheyev-Petey-Kuz

Beau/Garland/Boes-Miller-Beau/Garland/Boes

Pearson?/???-UFA-Pod

Joshua-Blueger-???/Pearson?

Hughes-???/Cole

Cole/Soucy-Hronek

Soucy/???-Myers/???

Need to add a solid 3C that can move up in case of injury/added depth. Move one of Boeser/Garland/Beau.

It sounds like Pearson is coming back next year. He’d be decent on the bottom 6 for the season. 

Preferably move Myers and find a partner for Hughes. Would allow Cole to be with Hronek and Soucy to carry the 3rd pairing/step up when injury to the top 4 occurs. 

Think we will still try and trade one of our top 9 wingers to create a little more cap space.

Something like Beau to ARI for 3rd round pick. ARI are looking to compete and Beau is a young, versatile winger that can provide good scoring. If the fit isn't good in ARI they can trade him at the 2024 TDL for a pick.

VAN signs someone like Fischer for $1.25m x 2 years as a defensive, bottom 6 forward.

Our projected opening night lineup:

Kuz - EP - Mik

Garland - Miller - Boeser

Pearson - Blueger - Podz

Joshua - Aman - Fischer

(Hogs)

Hughes - Cole

Soucy - Hronek

Brisebois - Myers

(Irwin - Woo)

Demko (Silovs)

Poolman on IR and still have $300k of cap space

1 hour ago, AngryElf said:

With day one of free agency in the books, I'm asking you what you think our opening night lineup looks like. You can suggest trades will be made, but try and keep it as specific as possible :) 

Kuzmenko - Petey - Beauvillier (duh)

Di Giuseppe - Miller - Boeser (one of our best line combos last year and Tocchet loves PDG)

Mikheyev - Blueger - Podkolzin (Speed, skill, and defensively responsible, may struggle finishing chances though)

Joshua - Aman - Studnicka (Another successful line from last year, although Studnicka took faceoffs iirc)

Dries (Tocchet's guy, swap with Aman if he starts cold)

*Pearson will probably not be able to play night one, but as he comes in he can either push Podkolzin or Studnicka out

Hughes - Peeke (Solid in transition both ways, and Peeke can be Hughes' long term partner)

Cole - Hronek (Similar to above, Hronek drives offense while Cole makes up for defensive deficiencies. Cole is in the top 4% when it comes to defensive play, let's see if he can continue that)

Soucy - Myers (two big men with very different styles, hoping Soucy's aggressiveness forces Myers to do the same without being pure chaos)

Demko (duh)

Martin (Start Arty in Abbotsford unless he runs away with the backup job. If he proves he's ready, trade Martin for a mid pick and leave Abbotsford for the kids Sawchenko and Tolopilo)

I'm assuming we deal with Columbus around Garland for Peeke. They're moving towards contention and Garland would be one of the most proficient players at 5v5 for them. Peeke is an odd man out in Columbus but I could very much see him flourishing here. Strong along the boards and defensively responsible, perfect for Tocchet. 

PP1: 

Kuz - Miller - Beauvillier 

Hughes - Pettersson 

No change from last year.

PP2: 

Mikheyev - Blueger - Boeser

Hronek - Podkolzin

Get's Boeser out of the faceoff dot and into a more prominent passing role. Mikheyev and Podkolzin can also switch if we need his speed at the point. 

PK1: 

Blueger - Pettersson 

Soucy - Cole 

One of the best starting PK groups in the league. Soucy has a great first pass and Blueger isn't slow, so look for lots of shorthanded opportunities. 

PK2: 

Miller - Mikheyev 

Hughes - Peeke

Again, focusing on aggression. Hughes can feed Miller and Mikheyev all day long with stretch passes, and it allows us to take some risk knowing we have one of the top goalies in the league. 

Honestly, you lost me with PDG in the top 6. I didn’t bother to read the rest.

• Like 1

Kuzmenko-Petey-Garland

Mik-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Aman-Hoglander

PDG-Blueger-Podz

*Beau is traded by Sept (if not he takes out Hogs or Podz) Hope we can move out a winger for some of our young guys. Pearson probably on LTIR.

Extra forwrads= Kravstov, Studnicka, Dries

Huggy-Cole

Soucy-Hronek

Hirose-Myers

Extra D= Irwin, Briesbois

Demko

Martin

• Vintage 1

As it stands?

Mikheyev-Petey-Kuzmenko 

Beauvillier-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Bleuger-Garland

Pearson-Aman-Podkolzin

(Hoglander)

Hughes-Cole

Soucy-Hronek

Wolanin-Myers

(Irwin-Juulsen)

Demko

Martin

I think it’s a pretty decent lineup - should contend for playoffs.  But, I’ve been wrong about that the past 2 seasons so who knows?

I’ll take it over:

Mikheyev-Petey-Kuzmenko

Garland-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin

Joshua-Lazar-Hoglander

Hughes-Schenn

OEL-Myers

Dermott-Poolman

I swear it looked better on paper before last year.  :lol:

Edited by ilduce39
Wolanin in for Hirose
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Maybe our lineup will look like 

Thing - Thing - Thing

Thing - Thing - Thing

Thing - Thing - Thing

Thing - Thing - Thing

Thing

Thing - Thing 

Thing - Thing 

Thing - Thing 

Thing/Thing

Starter: Thing

Backup: Thing

Coached by: Thing

Managed by: Thing

Could contain: Book, Comics, Publication, Face, Head, Person, Baby

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

As it stands?

Mikheyev-Petey-Kuzmenko 

Beauvillier-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Bleuger-Garland

Pearson-Aman-Podkolzin

(Hoglander)

Hughes-Cole

Soucy-Hronek

Hirose-Myers

(Irwin-Juulsen)

Demko

Martin

I think it’s a pretty decent lineup - should contend for playoffs.  But, I’ve been wrong about that the past 2 seasons so who knows?

I’ll take it over:

Mikheyev-Petey-Kuzmenko

Garland-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin

Joshua-Lazar-Hoglander

Hughes-Schenn

OEL-Myers

Dermott-Poolman

I swear it looked better on paper before last year.  :lol:

Preferred last yrs lineup on paper over what we have so far.  Still a long offseason to go and trades will be made.  Hronek and soucy are the keys so far- the rest are just depth guys. Hopefully hogz and podz can make a push.  

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Preferred last yrs lineup on paper over what we have so far.  Still a long offseason to go and trades will be made.  Hronek and soucy are the keys so far- the rest are just depth guys. Hopefully hogz and podz can make a push.  

Cole was a top four defenseman with Tampa last year 

he’s a top four defenseman for us too 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

I can see that - last year on paper looked pretty good.  

We don’t have the firepower to roll 3 lines like we could with Petey-Miller-Bo and on paper OEL-Myers were coming off a solid season (but obviously didn’t maintain it).  Lazar looked like a nice pick up. 

This year we absolutely need some wingers to step up to help with depth scoring as Bleuger / Aman are limited offensively.  I am a lot more confident in the back end - but we’ll miss Schenn even if I wouldn’t want him back at what he signed for.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Upvote 1

Kuzmenko - Petey - Mikheyev

Hoglander/Beau - Miller - Boeser

Podkolzin - Blueger - Garland

Pearson/Hog - Aman - Joshua

Hughes - (Cole?)

Soucy - Hronek

Cole - (Myers?/Bear?)

I expect Hoggy and Pod to take a leap next year. Even if not a big one, enough to be the 3rd guy on a 2nd line or the 2nd guy on a 3rd line. Garly proved last year he can drive a 3rd line on his own. Having Blueger playing responsibly and another guy with snarl and a scoring touch should be great. Pearson being healthy is great and I hope he's as good as he was 2 years ago but creates a bit of a logjam along the wings. Ideally we give Beau and Garland ample opportunity to show they're good so we can trade at least one of them. Doubt anyone takes Pears either way. 

I hope Myers is moved and replaced with whoever - and we re-sign Bear on a 1 year prove-it deal. Having him on the 3rd pair would be elite. If we can get off the Myers money, I'd imagine we'd try to find a stay at home RD. Not sure who is possible..if at all, but Cole isn't a bad back-up plan since he can play both sides. 

If the SJS rumour for Myers has truth to it, that extra 6 Mill will be interesting when it comes to trading for a QH partner.

Overall I'd be really happy with this lineup. Lethal on the PP, I think we would be GOOD on the PK with this personnel and coaching staff as well. Got some good puck possession guys for 5v5 and a defence that can get the puck out of their own zone. Definitely a step in the right direction and a team that can challenge for a playoff spot. By the time some of these contracts are up, we should have guys like Hirose, Willander, Lekkerimaki, Raty playing on cheap contracts. A lot needs to go well though so hope we keep adding to the depth!