The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] 22 players elect salary arbitration

NHLPA announces 22 players elect Salary Arbitration::

TORONTO (July 5, 2023) - The National Hockey League Players’ Association announced that 22 players have elected salary arbitration:

Morgan Barron (Winnipeg Jets)
Will Borgen (Seattle Kraken)
Noah Cates (Philadelphia Flyers)
Ross Colton (Colorado Avalanche)
Brandon Duhaime (Minnesota Wild)
Vince Dunn (Seattle Kraken)
Cale Fleury (Seattle Kraken)
Trent Frederic (Boston Bruins)
Filip Gustavsson (Minnesota Wild)
Brett Howden (Vegas Golden Knights)
Tanner Jeannot (Tampa Bay Lightning)
Philipp Kurashev (Chicago Blackhawks)
Jack McBain (Arizona Coyotes)
Ryan McLeod (Edmonton Oilers)
Ian Mitchell (Boston Bruins)
Drew O’Connor (Pittsburgh Penguins)
Ilya Samsonov (Toronto Maple Leafs)
Brandon Scanlin (New York Rangers)
Jeremy Swayman (Boston Bruins)
Troy Terry (Anaheim Ducks)
Alexei Toropchenko (St. Louis Blues)
Gabriel Vilardi (Winnipeg Jets)

The deadline for the second club-elected salary arbitration notification is July 6 at 5 p.m. ET. Salary arbitration hearings will be held from July 20 to Aug. 4.  

https://www.nhlpa.com/news/1-22514/22-players-elect-salary-arbitration

Just now, The Big D said:

I’m pretty sure teams can open another buyout window if players elect arbitration 

Nope. A second buyout period, before the start of the season, was allowed only in the first two years of the CBA so teams could adjust to that new contract. That was for 2013 and 2014 seasons only.

• Wat 1
  • RoughGame 2

20 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Nope. A second buyout period, before the start of the season, was allowed only in the first two years of the CBA so teams could adjust to that new contract. That was for 2013 and 2014 seasons only.

Nope nope. I think you're confusing the compliance buyouts with arbitration buyouts.

Buyouts Outside of the Regular Period

Clubs whom have 1 or more arbitration filings may be permitted to perform a buyout outside of the regular window. This gives teams another opportunity to become cap compliant following an arbitration case.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yup... hence "Buyouts incoming..."

Got a link? The CBA signed after the shortened 12/13 season allowed for a second buyout before the season started for 2013 and 14 only. Giving teams the chance to adjust to the new CBA. But I've seen nothing about the NHL/NHLPA agreeing to renewing an extra buyout since then.

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Nope nope. I think you're confusing the compliance buyouts with arbitration buyouts.

Ok now I found that. Looking up "buyouts" all I got was compliance. Arbitration buyouts isn't mentioned at all. Although I remembered the extra buyout option from the last CBA for two years. Thanks!

That said I doubt there will be any arb buyouts. The arb buyout option is a 48 hr window three days after an arbitration settlement. The majority are settled without actually going to arbitration.

• Cheers 1

here’s more from puckpedia

Teams may receive an additional Buyout window.  If a team has a player go to arbitration and it is either settled or awarded, the team receives a new 48 hour buyout window beginning 3 days after the arbitration settlement or award.  The only contracts that are eligible to be bought out in this window are for player with Cap Hits greater than $4M AND they were on the team's roster at the last trade deadline.

• Cheers 1

Does the buyout window only apply to the player awarded in arbitration, or can teams trade any roster player (over $4M that was on the roster at the last TDL) as a means to clear space?

Edited by Ted Lasso

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And we Canuck fans care about what those guys get because? 
#Hatetheotherteams! :frantic:

I like both players so it will be cool to see if they get the bag. Borgen would be my 4th favourite Kraken player behind Schwartz, Beniers, and Tanev

2 hours ago, Ted Lasso said:

Does the buyout window only apply to the player awarded in arbitration, or can teams trade any roster player (over $4M that was on the roster at the last TDL) as a means to clear space?

The buyout window opens if there's a filing - even if a new deal is signed before arbitration the buy out window will still open.  The 4M and on the reserve list is only for buyouts during the 2nd window.  There's no limitation on trades.  

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1