Travis Sanheim 27 years old LD 8 years x 6.25M

Scott Laughton 29 year old C 3 years x 3M

Vancouver trades

2024 1st(Conditional; top 5 protection)

2024 3rd

2025 2nd

Tyler Myers 34 year old RD 1 years x 6M

Connor Garland 27 year old RW 3 years x 4.95M

We reallocate our cap space by getting a #3 LD thats 1.6 years older than Hronek and solid 3C under a good contract. We also gain 1.7M in cap space for next season. 

Could contain: Person, Text, Face, Head

That’s after a year with Risto. 2023 is not up yet. 

Flyers get a plethora of picks. 

Vancouver lineup

Mikheyev-Petey-Kuzy

Beau-Miller-Boeser

???-Laughton-Pod

Joshua-Blueger-???

??? = Hog/Pearson/Aman/PDG

Hughes-Cole

Sanheim-Hronek

Soucy-???

??? = Irwin/Juulsen/Brisebois/Hirose/Rathbone

IMO this lineup is better equipped for playoffs and is a step towards building a contender. 

Do we give up too much? Not enough? Rather keep the picks? Rather spend more for better? 

Flame away. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

12 minutes ago, Fen1010 said:

Like it from the Canucks end, but don't see why the Flyers would do it. Garland is to "old" since they are now starting their rebuild, They have enough RHD, so no need for Myers even as a rental.

It’s to make the cap work. 

The picks are the real prize.

Myers may be an asset that could potentially be flipped depending the variety of the market come TD(Team injuries as well)

I don't like it.  We've added playoff pieces in Soucy and Cole already for the top-4, not a fan of bringing in another 8 year contract, seeing how OEL fell off.
I'd like Laughton if they sell him, but not hoping to pay through the nose.

4 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Flyers trade

Vancouver trades

2024 3rd

2025 2nd

We reallocate our cap space by getting a #3 LD thats 1.6 years older than Hronek and solid 3C under a good contract. We also gain 1.7M in cap space for next season. 

Vancouver lineup

Mikheyev-Petey-Kuzy

Beau-Miller-Boeser

???-Laughton-Pod

Joshua-Blueger-???

Hughes-Cole

Sanheim-Hronek

Soucy-???

IMO this lineup is better equipped for playoffs and is a step towards building a contender. 

Do we give up too much? Not enough? Rather keep the picks? Rather spend more for better? 

Flame away. 

Why would Vancouver trade 1st rounder -- 2nd rounder - 3rd rounder -- Myers 1 yr remaining- Garland ?

BIG NO NO

Return Sandheim 27 --8 yrs X 6.2 million--- Laughton 3 yrs X 3 million????? Big Pass

Adding 11 million in salary -- Myers is off the books next season????

We have to sign Hronek to 7 yrs X 6.4 million -No room for # 3 D man making 6.2 million

This is a deal that could set up the team for success if he's the right guy (after some research, don't think he is).

Not sure how this works for our cap the following year though.   Sanheim > then Cole and Soucy.   He's been playing top minutes anyways. 

We are going to need a legit top four at some point, and what we have now sure isn't that.   We have two of four and fill ins, last year Schenn, this year Cole.   Soucy has never done that job, he's about as solid a 5 as you can get though, so who knows maybe he can step up.   But we shouldn't  be assuming that either.   A much better Stetcher that's about it's and a left handed one.  

QHs, Hronek, Sanheim (or someone else) at 20 million, isn't crazy money cap wise.  Soucy 23, and another 4 to finish it up is 27.   We'd need a young guy on an ELC to finish things up and give this core a shot.   Wallinder in two years?     A few years ago SJ had EK, Burns, Vlasic plus plus ... those 3 guys cost them 26ish on their own.    Personally have zero issue re-allocating cap this way.   Beau and Garland pay for a lot of it on their own. 

Edit:  As for the cost, maybe it's too steep on our side, as Briere would love to make a tank and knows its rebuild time.    Maybe Sanheim  replaces a 26 year old Edler.   If Hronek works out too, that's 3/4 of our D sorted out.    

Edited by IBatch

9 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

I don't like it.  We've added playoff pieces in Soucy and Cole already for the top-4, not a fan of bringing in another 8 year contract, seeing how OEL fell off.
I'd like Laughton if they sell him, but not hoping to pay through the nose.

Cole is a one year stop gap, whose best years are behind him.   He's a Schenn replacement.   Soucy is a top level 5th.   Who hits and adds size.    Not sure how he'd handle top four duties, but we likely find out.   As of right now we have a legit number one, a solid number two,  then an OK 4/5 in Cole and solid 5/6 in Soucy and Myers.   Not exactly a playoff inspiring D core.    We make the playoffs IF our PK manages 85% or better, and Demko plays like a top ten at least, and our offense doesn't suffer.   It's going to take a lot for us to leapfrog CAL, Seattle and LA.   Not saying Sanheim is the right guy, but for sure this team needs to add a long term solution for one of the top four spots, if we can manage that before the summer is out, and the cost is Garland and some futures, it's a solid move.     Button loved the Hronek deal for us.   Will Allvin and JR have the balls to do it again?  

Sanheim is 26, and has been playing top four minutes since he was 21/22.   Doesn't get PP time, manages decent production, does PK though.   He's skinny but 6'3", and a good old Canadian boy.    We could do a lot worse.   And his contract runs out at 34/35.    We get him his entire prime (for D's that's 27-33ish) .... if Allvin and JR like him, I wouldn't at all be upset with this deal.    In fact any deal for a legit top four (he's playing top pairing minutes),  bring it on.   6.25 x 8 is a good deal for any team really.   That's like 4.25 back during the peak Sedin era, less than Ballard I think lol.    Would right away be our shot blocking leader.    Makes sense as Hronek's partner.  

Edited by IBatch

11 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Flyers trade

Vancouver trades

2024 3rd

2025 2nd

Vancouver lineup

Mikheyev-Petey-Kuzy

Beau-Miller-Boeser

???-Laughton-Pod

Joshua-Blueger-???

Hughes-Cole

Sanheim-Hronek

Soucy-???

Flame away. 

One of the more realistic proposals, well done (edit - at least at first glance before checking out what PHI a thinks of him!).   Not sure Sanheim is the best target (ok i've looked at PHI, they sure aren't fond of his deal ...), but that rarely works out anyways (let's do Hedman instead! lol point is, it's not a video game and the trades you'd like are extremely unlikely, how about Heiskanen!) .   He is a good target given PHI looks ready to rip it up and start over, but it looks like they'd have to retain for it to work for any team.    And the cost is likely lower Junkyard. 

Sanheim stats, show that he's been used as a top pairing guy for awhile.    Blocks a shot or two every game, doesn't throw a lot of hits, and is a negative giveaway guy but nothing ridiculous.   Appears to be the real deal as far as a defensive minded, top four D.   That's maybe a round  peg in a round hole as a possible pairing for Hronek.    6'3", good old Canadian boy, who likely puts on some weight to his teenage frame given his age (currently 26).   

.    Once our winger stuff is dealt with, we should have the cap space to pay for a top four that's very solid.    However we are definitely going to have to "pay for it " in other ways.    This is one way.   And there won't be a lot of chances either.   The Horvat card has been played.   Brock won't do it unless he explodes for 40 goals or something.    And then we likely won't want to trade him anyways lol.  

Wolannin, Brisbois, Hirose, Irwin, Woo etc, give us plenty of third paring depth.   Willander is our future QHs pairing hopeful, which will counter the OEL years IF he develop well.   And one year likely won't be enough (at least he's going to get used to playing against young men).   

Basically overpaying in free agency, which rarely works out, or finding a rebuilding team that has some of what we need and is willing to take some of our stuff to make cap work, plus our picks, are the two most likely paths. 

It's a catch 22, because we also need our picks during the cores peak.  

Think unless they are absolutely certain they've found the right guy, they will hold on tight, and keep the picks.   I for one, am not opposed to trading for the right guy.   Schmidt.   Recent memory fail.   OEL, we can't do that again.     

I love that we signed Soucy.   That gives us one guy on the third pairing to work with.    And to me a major win.  We also need his intangibles.    Rare that you're going to win the top four UFA sweepstakes, and it's going to cost you extra cap space (Myers).   JB was constantly scraping the barrel just trying to ice an NHL defense after it finally was blown up.    

And missed mostly, so get that we could have some Stockholm Syndrome.    Maybe what's been done is the best we can expect for now.   And for the next two years, Allvin will also be scraping the barrel, but at least he's not overpaying (so far).     If we are going to actually contend, which is the goal, we need to do a deal like this WHEN it becomes available to add the right top four D.  They don't often come available.   And when they do, you're competing with other teams to make the acquisition.   TO spent to get Muzzin from LA,  that's a deal we might need to watch for and be prepared for when we can. 

Edited by IBatch

7 hours ago, Rabbit said:

Pass!!!

We give up lot of picks, and sign back a 27-year-old player for 8 years @6.25m

Looking at PHI thinks of Sanheim ... well it's a little different then WAR cards and his stats, already considered a buyout option, agree let's stay far far away.   Unless they retain like 50% and the cost is a second rounder. 

Could contain: Advertisement, Poster, Page, Text

Edited by IBatch
  • There it is 1

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

Looking at PHI thinks of Sanheim ... well it's a little different then WAR cards and his stats, already considered a buyout option, agree let's stay far far away.   Unless they retain like 50% and the cost is a second rounder. 

Could contain: Advertisement, Poster, Page, Text

Lol Kevin Hayes for 1 year at $7 million only yielded a 6th for the Flyers... if Sanheim's truly a buyout candidate and we pay $3 million+ per year, along with an early pick to acquire him, I think we'd be foolish.  Should seek to pay as low a pick as possible if he's now a negative.

• There it is 1

13 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Lol Kevin Hayes for 1 year at $7 million only yielded a 6th for the Flyers... if Sanheim's truly a buyout candidate and we pay $3 million+ per year, along with an early pick to acquire him, I think we'd be foolish.  Should seek to pay as low a pick as possible if he's now a negative.

Kevin Hayes was a terrible signing, said it at the time, why are second line centers now costing 7 mill and the max?    Horvat is now the new poster boy for that contract.   Kadri at least earned his deal didn't he? 

Seems like perpetually rebuilding/re-tooling by poaching veteran players from other teams rather than developing and promoting from within. Kinda like the recent UFA signings. 

Typically short-sighted vision for this franchise, rather than thinking long. 

On 7/6/2023 at 4:53 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

Flyers trade

He has a NTC 

4 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

That Sanheim contract is an abomination and from the sounds of it, Allvin has already turned it down. Dreger said Philly was trying very hard to send us Sanheim around the draft.

Thankfully Alvin didn't bite, they were trying hard to dump him on us before his NTC kicked in.

This is a lot like the OEL trade, so if we're parting with such high picks, I'd want to be going after the right defenceman for this team. Sanheim is alright, he's tall but lanky but is far from a solid top-end defenceman. Laughton is a nice 3C option and of course getting rid of Myers and Garland's cap would be nice, but I wonder if there are other better packages out there.

Here's an absolutely mad idea:

Garland + Myers + 1st + 2nd for Bradyn Schenn + Parayko

We upgrade two lousy players for two old players who are still in their prime using picks. Parayko is only 30, 6M, an absolute beast on the right side. Schenn is a 60 point 20G scoring tough physical center who could be the best 3C in the league. Their contracts go on forever and obviously make us older, but make us a LOT tougher to play against. Also improves our PK a bunch too.

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

PDG - Miller - Boeser

Beauvillier - Schenn - Podkolzin

Joshua - Blueger - Aman

Hoglander

Hughes - Parayko

Soucy - Hronek

Hirose - Cole

Rathbone

Another fun one is CBJ. I think they want to win next year as opposed to build more picks but if they want to retool on the fly, how about this for jokes:

Garland + Myers + 1st + 2nd for Roslovic + Peeke

Just about works cap-wise, they might think Myers is better than Peeke in all fairness so a 1st might be a bit rich but again, we get a physical RD and a decent top-end 3C.

17 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

This is a lot like the OEL trade, so if we're parting with such high picks, I'd want to be going after the right defenceman for this team. Sanheim is alright, he's tall but lanky but is far from a solid top-end defenceman. Laughton is a nice 3C option and of course getting rid of Myers and Garland's cap would be nice, but I wonder if there are other better packages out there.

We upgrade two lousy players for two old players who are still in their prime using picks. Parayko is only 30, 6M, an absolute beast on the right side. Schenn is a 60 point 20G scoring tough physical center who could be the best 3C in the league. Their contracts go on forever and obviously make us older, but make us a LOT tougher to play against. Also improves our PK a bunch too.

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

PDG - Miller - Boeser

Beauvillier - Schenn - Podkolzin

Joshua - Blueger - Aman

Hoglander

Hughes - Parayko

Soucy - Hronek

Hirose - Cole

Rathbone

Another fun one is CBJ. I think they want to win next year as opposed to build more picks but if they want to retool on the fly, how about this for jokes:

Just about works cap-wise, they might think Myers is better than Peeke in all fairness so a 1st might be a bit rich but again, we get a physical RD and a decent top-end 3C.

Parayko is likely done. Serious back problems and had recent surgery. He plays too slow now to keep up with how fast Quinn plays. Schenn would be a good get. 
Garland for Schenn is fair. 

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Both Schenn & Paraynko have NTC 

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

No way I'm giving up a 1st and 2nd in this trade. We need to be patient and stop trading away our picks especially for mid-tier players and cap dumps. I could see merrit if it was for a legit top pair RD but really i think we have that with Willander in 2 or 3 years.

• There it is 1

17 hours ago, canuckmen84 said:

Both Schenn & Paraynko have NTC 

No way I'm giving up a 1st and 2nd in this trade. We need to be patient and stop trading away our picks especially for mid-tier players and cap dumps. I could see merrit if it was for a legit top pair RD but really i think we have that with Willander in 2 or 3 years.

I completely agree, just a proposal for fun. No way those guys are worth such high picks but it's also to move 11M of dead cap space.

I'd much rather we just try and find a deal similar to the Chychrun/Provorov deals, like a 1st and 2nd and maybe something extra for a top defenceman. Pesce is the big name that comes to mind but so does Hanifin. Both are on decent cap hits, looking to be extended though. We'd have to give cap the other way for either deal. There must be a trade revolving around a first and/or second plus a winger (Beauvillier, Garland or Boeser depending on value or maybe even Myers or Rathbone) for Pesce or Hanifin. That's the sort of deal I'd be targetting right now.

1st + Beauvillier + Rathbone for Pesce or Hanifin, give them a 2nd or 3rd (way down the line) if they want too. Premier top-4 22+ minute two-way defencemen don't come cheap, both are young and could sign a massive deal. We might end up with a log-jam at RD with Pesce (Pesce - Hronek - Willander) in a few years time but boy that's a good problem to have. Hanifin at LD makes a bit more sense - Soucy is a 16 minute guy, Cole will probably play on the right for a while so having a true 20+ minute LD under Hughes takes a lot of pressure off him.