The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pius Suter | #24 | C

-AJ-

2 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

Fantastic news. Canucks add yet another LH Forward. Particularly, at a position where they really don’t need one. 

Not exactly true, he can play center or wing, commented on how he played all three positions in one game but the main point is he's here for a cpl years while we grow the farm to fill it (for once)  

This isn't something we're used to though but as the next 2-3 seasons roll past, odds are that it'll happen and let the newbies fight over spots and know they have to play a hard 200' game consistently in order to get paid the big bucks..  

Remember we've just started using our farm for the first time in team history IF it keeps up with not trading away more futures than we have in the last ummm forever.... 

Does it suck to have to wait until it gets going full swing at it for the next 2-3 drafts, that will a surprise that I never thought I'd EVER see, I thought we were doomed for more of the same selling out the farm for a seasonal depthless roster like always, well I'm still not convinced it will play out so we have a long term increased odds of having depth for a change will make a huge difference that would be a dream that could indeed make us into the "elite" top 10 with a legit shot a cup every year rather than making the playoffs only to get bounce first round usually? 

THAT would be something but for now we need a guy who is at least decent which Suter is, and I'm pretty sure it's not going to matter all that much since we still don't have enough depth to go deep in a run anyway even if we did pull off a appearance in the post. 

Should it be a fun season to watch? I believe so but it is what it is..

• Cheers 1

• -AJ- changed the title to Pius Suter | #24 | C

I tend to think Suter is the equivalent to Malhotra ( please don't get stuck in the FO trolly track ) there was more to Malhotras game than simply FO's From what I read Suter is a high IQ player that makes opponents his bit*h much like Malhotra did. Malhotra made an impact and fingers crossed so to will Suter

• Cheers 1

On 8/11/2023 at 9:38 PM, Bob.Loblaw said:

I want to see more than just %ages from J fresh. Percent of what how many recorded attempts? 2 different players can both have 25% of something and be no where near equivalent. There's a difference between a guy taking 300 shots and a guy taking 50 one is probably a 25+ goal scorer the other is not. 

We saw this exacerbated by the J fresh card highlighting Brock as an elite board battler. By the %ages he's one of the best in the league up there with Bieksa who is 100% on faceoffs. It's not real it has no value of we are saying Brock is one of the best in the league on board battles if he doesn't actually board battle. The numbers don't add up. If you actually do the math there are only a finite amount of attempts that can equal his %age. None of which are elite. But sure put him up there as one of the best in the league. The reality is it isn't true. Is he an elite board battler or an elite spot picker.

Are Suters %ages legit or are they inflated?

Edited by hammertime

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

I want to see more than just %ages from J fresh. Percent of what how many recorded attempts? 2 different players can both have 25% of something and be no where near equivalent. There's a difference between a guy taking 300 shots and a guy taking 50 one is probably a 25+ goal scorer the other is not. 

I'm sure he's got the raw data, but I too like to see more than percentages. It's nice to see the data behind it. It's also good to understand the data collection methods to help understand any shortcomings of the data. 

On 8/15/2023 at 3:15 PM, Fred65 said:

I tend to think Suter is the equivalent to Malhotra ( please don't get stuck in the FO trolly track ) there was more to Malhotras game than simply FO's From what I read Suter is a high IQ player that makes opponents his bit*h much like Malhotra did. Malhotra made an impact and fingers crossed so to will Suter

Maholtra was great as faceoffs here but he started his career with similar percentages to suter. So there's hope for improvement if he gets a shot. Training camp will be interesting as tocchet may want size down the middle so in that case he'll be moved to the wing. 

On 8/18/2023 at 4:47 AM, OldFaithfulCap said:

Maholtra was great as faceoffs here but he started his career with similar percentages to suter. So there's hope for improvement if he gets a shot. Training camp will be interesting as tocchet may want size down the middle so in that case he'll be moved to the wing. 

Yeah, Malhotra really reached his peak in his late 20’s. It’s funny though. He was originally thought to have more potential offensively and I believe that’s why he was drafted so high. His skill just wasn’t enough as a top 6 forward in the NHL. Due to his hard work and excellent coaching from Ken Hitchcock, he was an excellent 3rd line center, who should have won the Selke the year of his eye injury.

• Cheers 1