The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Captaincy

Rate this topic

Slegr

2 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

You don't need to be big to be a good captain.  You need to be a good leader to be a good captain.  There are many ways to express good leadership - I'm not sure why you're so hooked on size.

Don’t know why this is even a debate.

Like a captain who plays the role of a grinder will inspire the team more? That’s ridiculous.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

You could say he has a preference for big d.

I’m just recognizing that it’s still a physical game, where hits happen, and Hughes will be on the receiving end of those, more so as this team gets more competitive. Big hits are momentum changers. I really like Hughes, and think he’ll make a good captain. I’m just saying, growing up when Linden captained this team, there’s still value in a captain who can throw the hits rather than just be the recipient of them. 

1 minute ago, Slegr said:

I’m just recognizing that it’s still a physical game, where hits happen, and Hughes will be on the receiving end of those, more so as this team gets more competitive. Big hits are momentum changers. I really like Hughes, and think he’ll make a good captain. I’m just saying, growing up when Linden captained this team, there’s still value in a captain who can throw the hits rather than just be the recipient of them. 

So Wayne Simmons should be our captain? 

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Management should decide on captaincy. Voting can lead to issues in the room and might end up a popularity contest. What if a player wanted the captaincy and view themselves already as a leader ended up with little to no vote from his teammates? Ego and feeling will be hurt. Should be a management coaches decision. 

When names get put in a hat, never heard about any locker room issues before.   You don't count votes infront of anyone,  tabulate them and let the room know.    If it's a tie, let the coach add his vote, and don't bring it up.    If someone puts his own name in, unlikely the right leader anyways.    You'd be surprised at who teams pick when it's done this way.  Wasn't Orr, and it wasn't Espo leading those teams.   They picked whom they wanted.   It also doesn't take away from other players leadership abilities either.   Espos gum chewing media message during the Summitt series after getting booed off the ice.   Of course they were both leaders too.

Edit: I'm sure it will be QHs.   If not Miller.   And i'm sure they won't be putting names in a hat either.    Don't know the last time that happened was.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Don’t know why this is even a debate.

Like a captain who plays the role of a grinder will inspire the team more? That’s ridiculous.

So therefore garland should be the captain a grinder that plays hard gritty have emotional and a midget while being subject of trade rumours everyday just what we need for a captain to keep it interesting 

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1

7 minutes ago, Slegr said:

But neither of those guys are captains…

Didn’t you just contradict yourself showing a Canucks player standing up for Hughes?  

If we’re such a soft team and fighting deters players from taking a run at our stars then wasn’t that exactly what you wanna see? 

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

When names get put in a hat, never heard about any locker room issues before.   You don't count votes infront of anyone,  tabulate them and let the room know.    If it's a tie, let the coach add his vote, and don't bring it up.    If someone puts his own name in, unlikely the right leader anyways.    You'd be surprised at who teams pick when it's done this way.  Wasn't Orr, and it wasn't Espo leading those teams.   They picked whom they wanted.   

Was the Bruins’ captain during that era Brucyk?  

2 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

Both Hughes and Miller would make good captains for different reasons.

Yup

I’d say that Quinn, JT, and Petey each have SOME of the qualities to be captain but no one has it all.

Quinn wants the job and is the most even keeled personality

but he doesn’t have the same grit and passion and proven leadership as Miller 

who doesn’t have the franchise superstar quality as Petey (who if he was named captain it would almost garantee he’d sign long term)

my first choice is JT, but I’d be fine with any of them, or three A’s for now

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Yup

I’d say that Quinn, JT, and Petey each have SOME of the qualities to be captain but no one has it all.

Quinn wants the job and is the most even keeled personality

but he doesn’t have the same grit and passion and proven leadership as Miller 

who doesn’t have the franchise superstar quality as Petey (who if he was named captain it would almost garantee he’d sign long term)

my first choice is JT, but I’d be fine with any of them, or three A’s for now

I wouldn’t say Quinn doesn’t have passion. I would say he’s good at controlling his emotions but the passion and desire to win is there. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Slegr said:

Bo played like a softy for sure, but he’s 215 pounds, and could handle himself physically. He just didn’t go out of his way to use his physicality to benefit the team in any consistent way.

Hughes is 5’10, 180 pounds, a smidge shorter and lighter than Stevie Y, with no heavy weights on the team to protect him if someone wants to run him. It’ll just be something the team will learn to deal with - luckily Hughes can avoid a lot of contact. But he’ll be a bigger target with the captaincy, especially come playoffs.

Jonathan Toews ends your argument.

Quinn would be a great choice.

• Cheers 1

On 9/9/2023 at 12:38 AM, DeNiro said:

You think other teams call him Huggy Bear? :picard: 

That’s literally a dumb nickname that only fans still use.

Also yes they would be afraid to lose to him because he’s a dynamic skater that can skate circles around them. Most teams game plans revolve around shutting him down. 

All around dumb statement from a clearly fair weather fan.

My dad was a pretty good hockey player back in Czechoslovakia, not NHL good but good enough that in lieu of his mandatory2 year stint in the army he got to serve them playing hockey. When the Russians invaded in 1968 we moved to Vancouver and when we got a team he bought season tickets and held them til the Canucks changed arenas after which I bought season tickets and held them til 2013 when for the next 4 years I had access to a box. By my calculations I have attended more Canucks games than 94% of all the players ever to play for them so your statement about me being a clearly fair weather fan is substantially dumber than my initial post.

Now, if you think that professional athletes will not use every tool available including psychology to get an edge I have to question the intelligence of your post.

We are a soft team, have been since AV and nicknaming a player Huggy Bear does not go unnoticed by the other teams and as has been mentioned, makes us a fun team to play against.

After 50+ years as a dedicated fan I have reached the final stage of grief, acceptance, and although I still start out each new season with high hopes and dreams, deep down inside I accept we are not a team that can win the Cup until major changes in attitude are made, those being our soft attitude that accepts things like calling our captain Huggy Bear.

I guarantee I am a truer fan than you will ever be.

• RoughGame 1
  • There it is 1

10 hours ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Jonathan Toews ends your argument.

Quinn would be a great choice.

Toews is over 6 feet, 200 pound. Big difference to Hughes.
I’m not saying Hughes wouldn’t be a great choice though. 

30 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Toews is over 6 feet, 200 pound. Big difference to Hughes.
I’m not saying Hughes wouldn’t be a great choice though. 

I am with you on your take on this as well. For me, its all about being well rounded and part of that is being able to deal with physicality when it presents itself. Most of the time, its not needed, but when it does, you should be able to be up to the task. 

Yes Linden was very good at this, he hardly ever needed it, but he brought it when he needed to. Bure was the only one I seen take some extra attention but we all know how that ended for Churla.::D Overall, that team endured physicality more so then the teams that followed, and I think Linden had a lot to do with that.

I have seen many of our stars take beatings over the years and other teams know this. How do you knock the Canucks off their game? Get physical with them. Ferlund knows this all too well.

A non-physical Captain may be able to take us to War, but someone with a little more physicality brings us another dimension which may help when the opportunity arises. 

I do think Hughes checks all the other boxes though,which will make him a great Captain, including taking the team first before his own  personal wishes, another trait Linden carried as well.

• Cheers 1