The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Captaincy

Rate this topic

Slegr

19 minutes ago, chon derry said:

I’d go a little further with what you say. Petey has a little more vengeance running thru  him. A little more retaliatory. 

I could see it last year, Petey developing some Forsberg physicality. He battles in front of the net, we haven't seen a superstar do that here.  Even Bure though physical rarely saw him battle in front of the net.  And the Sedins did most of their damage on the boards cycling the puck. Over the last 5 years we've seen him grow into his body and become a man. He's developing into a power-forward as he fills in his 6'2 frame.  Something not many saw coming. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pure961089 said:

I could see it last year, Petey developing some Forsberg physicality. He battles in front of the net, we haven't seen a superstar do that here.  Even Bure though physical rarely saw him battle in front of the net.  And the Sedins did most of their damage on the boards cycling the puck. Over the last 5 years we've seen him grow into his body and become a man. He's developing into a power-forward as he fills in his 6'2 frame.  Something not many saw coming. 

You bet. Ever since his draft and all  the teams that passed on him he’s always been in this position ‘oh ya watch me ‘ proving all the naysayers wrong. There’s always been an aire  of negativity following him. And he’s slowly shutting everybody up!  Clearly he’s captured the attention of the likes of Friedman who likes to make mountains out of mohills. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, grandmaster said:

I think RT prefers JT but management likely wants Hughes. Helps with re-signing later as well. He’ll become more invested in our team and definitely needs to re-sign.

JT would be the perfect Captain but I understand if they go Hughes. 

Petey should be stripped of his A. The guy has demonstrated he is not invested here and will leave if the team does not meet his expectations. That’s not leadership. 

They won’t do that because they want to try and keep him.

How has he demonstrated that he is not invested here?

2 hours ago, grandmaster said:

I don’t know what your issue is. I’m not “crapping all over him”. I admit he is our most skilled guy. I just said he is not a leader. Get a grip over yourself 

I disagree. 
He wants to win. 
Yeah, he is calling out management, but they deserve it.  
He has delivered and they haven’t.  
He wants to see his team following his example and management giving him what he needs to be successful.  
As a fan, does it make me comfortable to hear?  Absolutely not.  
BUT

He is showing passion to win. 
He has proven he will uphold his end of the bargain. 
I think it’s fair for him to want to be be satisfied with what he see before committing 8 years to this proven loser of a franchise. 

Hughes has my vote. I feel that both Miller and Petey are a bit too moody. Don't get me wrong, some emotion can be good, but I really do feel there are pretty recent instances of both Petey and JT letting their emotions get the best of them in one way or another. I distinctly remember how dejected Petey looked and how bad his body language was back when he was really struggling a couple years ago. By contrast, even when he's struggled, Hughes has never hit me as someone that let his emotions get the best of him in a negative way. He's steady. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

I disagree. 
He wants to win. 
Yeah, he is calling out management, but they deserve it.  
He has delivered and they haven’t.  
He wants to see his team following his example and management giving him what he needs to be successful.  
As a fan, does it make me comfortable to hear?  Absolutely not.  
BUT

He is showing passion to win. 
He has proven he will uphold his end of the bargain. 
I think it’s fair for him to want to be be satisfied with what he see before committing 8 years to this proven loser of a franchise. 

I think the management have done everything they could, what with the cap limitations and bad contracts

that JB left them They have also hired a new coach and brought in a terrific coaching/training staff.

It's his prerogative to sign for how long, or with which team, if it comes to that. Hopefully he signs a long

enough for the Canucks to build a team that can contend.  Didn't the management suggest 3 yrs?

The best word I can use to describe the way Hughes talks is thoughtful. He's measured and calm when he speaks, but he doesn't speak in platitudes and token hockey terms (we've had at least one captain like this). His words actually carry weight. You can tell just how well he was brought up and taught by his parents. To me, he is exactly what you want in a captain, especially in a market like Vancouver. I think this is a no-brainer.

Edited by dougieL
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Miller wears his emotions on his sleeve and that's not a bad thing. I think the media blew his actions way out of proportion.  He hates losing and his emotions were real.  I'd rather have that than him not caring at all.  

Miller should be the captain. It's obvious to me. Especially how he lead the team through the pandemic. It made Bo look small. 

I agree. I want passion, uncomfortable, emotion, get all fired up, lead the charge, bang the net! ;)

Edit: Saying that ... I'm not opposed to Hughes as captain. It's a new era. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Miller should be the captain. It's obvious to me. Especially how he lead the team through the pandemic. It made Bo look small. 

I agree. I want passion, emotion, get all fired up, lead the charge, bang the net! ;)

Yeah even though Hughes wants it, I think Miller is the better choice for the reasons you gave. 
Bo always seemed to do the bare minimum. Cookie cutter captain. When some intangible like the pandemic comes along that’s when real leaders step up

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Yeah even though Hughes wants it, I think Miller is the better choice for the reasons you gave. 
Bo always seemed to do the bare minimum. Cookie cutter captain. When some intangible like the pandemic comes along that’s when real leaders step up

Agree 100% ... Miller showed that. I really think guys like Hughes, Petey, and core could learn from Miller with the C.

Hate to say it but Bo did get exposed. It's not his fault though, because he was ushered into the role and had the Sedins as leaders. Not bad at all but we need different, grittier, uncomfortable leadership, imo.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1