The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Captaincy

Rate this topic

Slegr

Do the Canucks have an official captain in 2023-24? 
If so, who will it be? And when will it be announced?

I can’t see it going to anyone other than Petey or Miller. Don’t get me wrong, Hughes is a great leader is many respects, but I just don’t see him wearing the C.

I’d be fine with either Petey or Miller, and my gut says it’ll be Petey. Unless he refuses to sign long term, then Miller.

i'm fine if we don't have one and just have a bunch of A.. u don't need a C on ur jersey to be a leader nor do u need a C on ur jersey for the team to listen.. if you have leadership qualities and quantities players will listen.. C really is just for the media to target and harass whenever they suck

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

58 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It will be Hughes.

Tocchett said he’s evolved as a leader more than anyone.

Petey would be another Naslund. We don’t need the captaincy weighing him down.

Miller is too emotional and not what you want out of your captain.

Hughes is the type of person that would thrive in that role imo. Wouldn’t way him down but would actually make him better.

I just want Petey to play. He already plays like a captain on the ice. Let’s keep it that way.

Im neutral on Miller. I think the emotional stuff bugs more the fans then the actual players 

• Cheers 1

Imo alternating the captain, or just going with assistant captains is the way to go.

Why have one guy having to do endless interviews, answering the same silly questions?

Share the load, share the grief.

Captaincy stuff is really just for the public/press anyway. 

• Vintage 1

I could see them going without a captain, especially if they think Petey is a top candidate, but if they see Hughes or Miller as good captain candidates, they might just give it to them at the start of the year.

Honestly, if Pearson was healthy I'd give it to him.  The rest of the guys are just too new to the team.

Nope: Boeser (just rebounding from his dad's situation affecting last season, he doesn't need to take the mental beating); Miller (emotional leader but can't calm the ship); Garland/ Myers (too often the target of trades due to overpay, might not be best for them to take on captain's duties too); Joshua/ Aman (purely depth)
Too new: Kuzmenko (working on his English), Mikheyev (IR last year), Beauvillier/ Hronek/ Soucy/ Cole/ Blueger/ Suter (all too new to the team), Hoglander/ Podkolzin/ Hirose (for obvious reasons, the kids aren't ready to play a major role, let alone be captain)

Candidates: (if they start with A's and then he gets healthy and stays in for awhile) Pearson - veteran, got championship pedigree, responsible and productive; Hughes (hopefully he's more vocal now, he was pretty shy as a youngster but he definitely lets his play do the talking); Petey (leader, fiery and can score)