The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Hughes to New Jersey (not seriously endorsing this)

7 minutes ago, Doogie said:

I wouldn’t trade Hughes but if the Canucks decided to do so the minimum I would expect coming back would be:

To Devils:

Hughes

To Canucks:

Siegenthaler

Nemec

Mercer

1st round pick 

2nd round pick 

If you can pull that off, you're running the team. 

Half kidding aside, that, or something very similar is what it would take to unite the Hughes Corporation together. 

32 minutes ago, Doogie said:

I wouldn’t trade Hughes but if the Canucks decided to do so the minimum I would expect coming back would be:

To Devils:

Hughes

To Canucks:

Siegenthaler

Nemec

Mercer

1st round pick 

2nd round pick 

Jersey doesn't need Quinn.  Sure. It's a nice story but why gut the team to do it when they can wait and potentially get him for free in 4 years.  

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Jersey doesn't need Quinn.  Sure. It's a nice story but why gut the team to do it when they can wait and potentially get him for free in 4 years.  

They wouldn’t be gutting the team, Hughes replaces Siegenthaler and they’ll just need to replace Mercer in the lineup. They’ll just bring up Holtz. The other pieces are either futures or Nemec who isn’t in the line up. Devils are ready to compete now and who knows what’ll ch age in 4 years. 

8 minutes ago, Doogie said:

They wouldn’t be gutting the team, Hughes replaces Siegenthaler and they’ll just need to replace Mercer in the lineup. They’ll just bring up Holtz. The other pieces are either futures or Nemec who isn’t in the line up. Devils are ready to compete now and who knows what’ll ch age in 4 years. 

They're still much better off keeping what they have. Nemec was the 2nd OA pick a year ago ffs.  It's not like he's just a throw in. They already have a fantastic defense.  Overpaying to this degree for what amounts to an expensive PR stunt isn't something a GM does and keeps his job 

2 hours ago, qwijibo said:

They're still much better off keeping what they have. Nemec was the 2nd OA pick a year ago ffs.  It's not like he's just a throw in. They already have a fantastic defense.  Overpaying to this degree for what amounts to an expensive PR stunt isn't something a GM does and keeps his job 

I wouldn’t amount this to JUST an expensive PR stunt, he’s only 23 and had 76 points last year. He’s a top 10 defencemen in the league and if he keeps progressing the way he has, could be top 5. Mercer is a winger who can easily be replaced by Holtz, Siegenthaler had 21 points last season. Hughes alone replaces both of their point totals. Nemec, although a 2nd OA, hasn’t proven anything yet. So, no it wouldn’t be a PR stunt. You undervalue what Hughes would mean to a team, just look at what he means to the Canucks. 

2 hours ago, Doogie said:

I wouldn’t amount this to JUST an expensive PR stunt, he’s only 23 and had 76 points last year. He’s a top 10 defencemen in the league and if he keeps progressing the way he has, could be top 5. Mercer is a winger who can easily be replaced by Holtz, Siegenthaler had 21 points last season. Hughes alone replaces both of their point totals. Nemec, although a 2nd OA, hasn’t proven anything yet. So, no it wouldn’t be a PR stunt. You undervalue what Hughes would mean to a team, just look at what he means to the Canucks. 

He's not needed.  Yes. He's a great player but they have a fantastic D already. So yes. It's essentially a PR move.  They're a better team keeping what they have. Discounting Nemec because he hasn't proven anything yet is such a bs strawman argument. 

3 hours ago, qwijibo said:

He's not needed.  Yes. He's a great player but they have a fantastic D already. So yes. It's essentially a PR move.  They're a better team keeping what they have. Discounting Nemec because he hasn't proven anything yet is such a bs strawman argument. 

He would be a massive upgrade offensively compared to Siegenthaler and he’s taken massive strides defensively this past year so I’d argue yes they could definitely use him. The fact of the matter is Hughes would improve their fantastic D immensely by adding over 50 more points to it. Acquiring a young cost controlled top 10 defencemen wouldn’t be a PR move. Also, my point on Nemec was to counter your point of gutting the team. He’s not on the team so removing him wouldn’t be gutting the team. So no I wouldn’t call it a strawman argument.

We could continue to go back and forth on this but like I said initially I wouldn’t trade Hughes. However, if the Canucks did entertain the idea they shouldn’t settle for anything less than what I presented.

Edited by Doogie

23 minutes ago, Doogie said:

He would be a massive upgrade offensively compared to Siegenthaler and he’s taken massive strides defensively this past year so I’d argue yes they could definitely use him. The fact of the matter is Hughes would improve their fantastic D immensely by adding over 50 more points to it. Acquiring a young cost controlled top 10 defencemen wouldn’t be a PR move. Also, my point on Nemec was to counter your point of gutting the team. He’s not on the team so removing him wouldn’t be gutting the team. So no I wouldn’t call it a strawman argument.

We could continue to go back and forth on this but like I said initially I wouldn’t trade Hughes. However, if the Canucks did entertain the idea they shouldn’t settle for anything less than what I presented.

Like you said. Vancouver shouldn't trade him.   That said trades have to work for both teams, and the overpayment  that You'd want as a fan is  the exact reason for NJ to not do the trades proposed.  They are huge overpayments that NJ wouldn't come close to offering 

On 8/16/2023 at 4:20 PM, qwijibo said:

Not a single chance in hell that NJ would do even close to that 

Lol obviously hence the first line I said where it would have to be heavily weighted in Vancouver's favor. You mention NJ would not even do something close to this, what type of offer would you say? 

Vancouver would be giving up the literal best #1 Dman they have ever had (and he's young still). So the cost being NJ's 2nd line center, a 2nd pair LD and a top prospect (while agreed it is a crazy high price) would likely be what Van needs to pull the trigger. 

I'm sure they'll be waiting for the moment Hughes is a UFA anyway to throw a big contract his way. 

Problem is the cap and contending window.

TO NJD: Hughes + 4th

TO VAN: Nemec + Siegenthaler + Hauler + 1st

Whether NJD add a pick or not is up for debate but that's a lot of value coming back. Future top-2 RD, current 3rd or 4th pairing LD and a 40 point older 3rd line center/winger for a top-5 NHL defenceman. I think they should add a first and we give them like a 3rd or 4th rounder for numbers.

Still wouldn't do it, we've basically built around future team around us having a top-flight left puck moving defenceman, trading him wouldn't make any sense, especially after acquiring Hronek and now two solid physical versatile but lesser defencemen.

21 hours ago, Bobby James said:

Lol obviously hence the first line I said where it would have to be heavily weighted in Vancouver's favor. You mention NJ would not even do something close to this, what type of offer would you say? 

Vancouver would be giving up the literal best #1 Dman they have ever had (and he's young still). So the cost being NJ's 2nd line center, a 2nd pair LD and a top prospect (while agreed it is a crazy high price) would likely be what Van needs to pull the trigger. 

I'm sure they'll be waiting for the moment Hughes is a UFA anyway to throw a big contract his way. 

I honestly don't think there's a deal to be made that would work for both teams.  Heavily weighted in Vancouvets favour means NJ says no thank you.  They don't NEED Quinn.  And Vancouver says no to anything that's not a slam dunk.   It just doesn't work. 

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I honestly don't think there's a deal to be made that would work for both teams.  Heavily weighted in Vancouvets favour means NJ says no thank you.  They don't NEED Quinn.  And Vancouver says no to anything that's not a slam dunk.   It just doesn't work. 

Jersey doesn’t need Quinn Hughes? Of course they do. The Devils are competing for the entertainment dollars in an incredibly tough market. They need something to help them market that club. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 8:39 PM, qwijibo said:

It isn't a trade likely to happen... but it absolutely isn't a PR move.  Adding a top pairing D who will be getting Norris votes and is in the right age bracket for a long contending window isn't just PR.

Any team needs Quinn Hughes.  I think you have watched our terrible team so long, you forget that contenders have tons of depth and great players throughout the roster.  It isn't "hey, we have 2-3 really good D so we are good".

It also actually increases their chances of re-signing all three brothers as they would almost certainly take some discount to stay playing together.  All reports are they are really close and it would be a unique legacy thing to have three brothers who are all likely all-star players on a roster.

Q. Hughes - Marino
Siegenthaler - Hamilton
L. Hughes - Bahl
Smith - Miller

Smith plays forward or D so is a good extra body.  Miller is a good veteran insurance if either Bahl or Luke Hughes needs more seasoning before holding down a full time pairing job.  They would be pretty protected as the top pairings each play a lot of minutes including all the special teams.  You just need a 3rd pairing for 13-15 minutes a night.

Edited by Provost

I think Jersey would indeed want all the Hughes brothers. Think the marketing potential! 

But in order for that to happen, it's up to the Devils to present a trade offer that is so much overpayment that Allvin would have no choice but to accept trading away the best defenseman this club has ever had. I feel assets brought up in recent posts are pretty much what they'd need to offer to make it happen. And even WITH all the assets coming back, NJ still gets the best player of the bunch, and the Canucks will be once again struggling to find their #1 quarterback until one of either Nemec or WIllander hopefully step up to fill that role. 

I say Siegenthaler, Nemec, Mercer, 1st rd pick for Hughes and Garland.

Kuz Petey Boeser

Beau Miller Mercer 

Podz Suter Mik
Hogz Blueger Joshua

Aman, PDG, Stud
IR: Pearson

Siegenthaler Hronek
Cole Myers
Soucy Mcward
Wolanin, Bris, Juulsen

After a couple of years:

Siegenthaler Hronek

Soucy Nemec
Hirose Willander

11 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I think Jersey would indeed want all the Hughes brothers. Think the marketing potential! 

But in order for that to happen, it's up to the Devils to present a trade offer that is so much overpayment that Allvin would have no choice but to accept trading away the best defenseman this club has ever had. I feel assets brought up in recent posts are pretty much what they'd need to offer to make it happen. And even WITH all the assets coming back, NJ still gets the best player of the bunch, and the Canucks will be once again struggling to find their #1 quarterback until one of either Nemec or WIllander hopefully step up to fill that role. 

I say Siegenthaler, Nemec, Mercer, 1st rd pick for Hughes and Garland.

Kuz Petey Boeser

Beau Miller Mercer 

Podz Suter Mik
Hogz Blueger Joshua

Aman, PDG, Stud
IR: Pearson

Siegenthaler Hronek
Cole Myers
Soucy Mcward
Wolanin, Bris, Juulsen

After a couple of years:

Siegenthaler Hronek

Soucy Nemec
Hirose Willander

NJ was operating at 92% capacity last season.  Similar to Boston, Washington and several other American teams.  I think you overestimate the marketing appeal of 3 brothers over 2 brothers.  Simply said the ask is too much for NJ to give up ( even if it is what it would take to get Quinn)