The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Hughes to New Jersey (not seriously endorsing this)

Nemec, Siegenthaler, Schmid and 1st.  The two D-men will account for the majority of Quinn's value, as a blue chip RHD star prospect and a top-pair shutdown LD on a quality contract (to take Quinn's spot on the roster) respectively.  I would like to see us get Akira to take the backup spot if for the foreseeable future, since as good as Silovs is, it shouldn't be a given that he'll be a backup at the NHL level just yet.  Lastly the first will hopefully be in a later year so their team isn't quite the contender.

1 hour ago, Devron said:

Probably not. He wants to be The guy. Vancouver gives him that 

I don't think it's nearly that simple.  A lot of things will factor in.  Like if he's happy with rhe direction of the team.  If his demands meet the cap structure available,  and how much he wants to join his brothers (assuming NJ has interest and space for him then) 

Time will tell 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I don't think it's nearly that simple.  A lot of things will factor in.  Like if he's happy with rhe direction of the team.  If his demands meet the cap structure available,  and how much he wants to join his brothers (assuming NJ has interest and space for him then) 

Time will tell 

Of course. A lot of things can happen. All I can see if what’s right in front of us. So right now I can’t picture him pulling a Gaudreau/Tkachuk. I think a lot had to do with that organization too.

24 minutes ago, Devron said:

Of course. A lot of things can happen. All I can see if what’s right in front of us. So right now I can’t picture him pulling a Gaudreau/Tkachuk. I think a lot had to do with that organization too.

All three are Americans who were/are playing in Canada.  That may or may not factor in.  But something to consider. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

All three are Americans who were/are playing in Canada.  That may or may not factor in.  But something to consider. 

Quinn was sure excited to be drafted by Canadian team. I also think he’s super competitive. Maybe one day they’ll all want to play together if it works. Jersey could also fall apart and trade one of the brothers. So many variables like you said 

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

Quinn was sure excited to be drafted by Canadian team. I also think he’s super competitive. Maybe one day they’ll all want to play together if it works. Jersey could also fall apart and trade one of the brothers. So many variables like you said 

Yup.  Absolutely.  A lot can happen in 4 years 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We just drafted Tom Willander to be the future partner for Quinn Hughes.  We also traded a 1st and a 2nd to get Hronek.  I think we are good on the right side now.  We just need more beef on the back end.  I'd rather have Hughes than Nemec...

Hey Quinn don't worry buddy in 3-4 years you will have a rookie defensive D to play with.

14 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, I saw a rumor out there (yes, was Eklund), and although I don't believe that Vancouver has seriously looked at moving Hughes, but I do believe that New Jersey would have made inquiries and asked what it would take.

So, just really simply, what would it take for you, the fans, to consider moving Hughes.

For me to begin the discussion, I think it would start with Nemec and their 2024 1st and then what else they would be adding. 

Again, not endorsing this idea, just curious what would make you look at reuniting the Hughes brothers all into New Jersey.

It's summer, I'm hot and bored and just wanted to do something completely speculative and see what fan reaction is.

If you're going to say, NOTHING, then don't play along. There is a price tag where anyone "can" be moved. 

So, just for fun:

To Vancouver:

Nemec

Bahl

2024 1st

2025 2nd

To NJ:

Quinn Hughes

2024 4th (return back to NJ)

What's yours???

Jack and Luke Hughes to Vancouver for Raymond, Ballard and a 1st.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I would do their top 3 young players/prospects and a couple of 1sts.  Of course I think the team isn't built to contend even with Hughes, so a fast rebuild like that would appeal to me.

Nemec
Holtz
Mercer
2024 1st
2025 1st

OF course, New Jersey has no need to do this.  They are set up to be a REALLY good team over the next little while.  Quinn can join them for free while they are still in a contending window.

14 minutes ago, Provost said:

I would do their top 3 young players/prospects and a couple of 1sts.  Of course I think the team isn't built to contend even with Hughes, so a fast rebuild like that would appeal to me.

Nemec
Holtz
Mercer
2024 1st
2025 1st

OF course, New Jersey has no need to do this.  They are set up to be a REALLY good team over the next little while.  Quinn can join them for free while they are still in a contending window.

Actually Jersey has a huge need to get Quinn. They compete for entertainment dollars in New York. Having the three Hughes’ boys would be an advertising coup. Likely the Devils take a big step back this season. Last year was aberration.  They a a terribly soft team. Soft and not so good. Sub 80 point season coming up. 

Yeah it would obviously have to be heavily weighted in Van's favor. NJ would have to accept they'll lose the trade, but look at it as more of a business transaction then anything else. 3 Hughes Bros leading your team for the next decade would be awesome. 

To NJ:

Hughes

Rathbone

McDonough 

To VAN:

Hischier

Nemec

Siegenthaler 

Honestly yeah it sounds crazy, but Hughes is no doubt the best player involved (Hischier is 2nd). We get an extremely good 2 way C and their top D prospect + a solid 2nd pair LD. Yes NJ of course comes out weaker, but I could still see them being very competitive for a long time still and again the business having all 3 bros would do for the organization alone would be huge. 

(Oh for fun one last addition, in this hypothetical Van only does it if they have a trade lined up for Miller. Don't need a ton back, but can't have his cap there too and fit everyone in lol). 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

Yeah it would obviously have to be heavily weighted in Van's favor. NJ would have to accept they'll lose the trade, but look at it as more of a business transaction then anything else. 3 Hughes Bros leading your team for the next decade would be awesome. 

To NJ:

Hughes

Rathbone

McDonough 

To VAN:

Hischier

Nemec

Siegenthaler 

Honestly yeah it sounds crazy, but Hughes is no doubt the best player involved (Hischier is 2nd). We get an extremely good 2 way C and their top D prospect + a solid 2nd pair LD. Yes NJ of course comes out weaker, but I could still see them being very competitive for a long time still and again the business having all 3 bros would do for the organization alone would be huge. 

(Oh for fun one last addition, in this hypothetical Van only does it if they have a trade lined up for Miller. Don't need a ton back, but can't have his cap there too and fit everyone in lol). 

image.gif.de1567d296040b760b4ab39df247be2c.gif

1 hour ago, Bobby James said:

To NJ:

Hughes

Rathbone

McDonough 

To VAN:

Hischier

Nemec

Siegenthaler 

Not a single chance in hell that NJ would do even close to that