The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

I remember watching him slay the dragon. Group of my kids and their friends and girlfriends/boyfriends all watching together at our place. Holding our breath until Burr got it done. Everyone went wild.. greatest goal in Canuck history for me and many others.

Thx Burr. So glad he made an immediate impact in Ottawa. Love the guy.

• Upvote 4

I live in Ottawa.

Before tonight's game it was a 50/50 split on how fans felt about Burrows - they thought he was a "dirty" player, too old, wouldn't fit with their team, and hating the extension. 

Now, after the game...lol. I've gotten over 30 text messages saying how much they love him, plays with so much heart, and one even says he's a buying Burrows jersey. 

I actually hate sens fans haha

Edited by Nucksfansince91
  • Upvote 3

Burr is and will always be a pro.

He will give everything he's got for the team whose jersey he wears.

He will come into Vancouver one of these days, and after he acknowledges the standing ovation, he will play as hard as he can against the Canucks.

Who knows how long he can keep it up... I wish the best for him...  he earned everything he's ever gotten in this league.

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Don't even like to muddy Burr's waters at this point with POS.    Burr has moved on...this next chapter for him is an absolute testament to what he has become and his worth that, at 35 years old, teams are just starting to recognize.     Patrick is staying stuck if his focus is what someone said years ago.

We DID really need Burr and he was the type to put the teams' needs ahead of his own.  Now it's time for him to get what he really needs, by way of sharing it all with his family and, hopefully, getting a cup. 

Next year, after the Sharks take this one.

To be honest Deb, If the contractual timing was the same, I would rather have seen the Twins move as a package for a single top 15 first rounder than Alex Burrows..   I believe he creates a symmetry mentoring young players because of his experiences to get where he is.

And,. he can still play hard.       10 bucks says he is a Coach one day,. Possibly one of ours.

Keep the red light burrning Alex..  grab those silver rims.

• Upvote 4

so glad our young guys had the opportunity to learn from him and play alongside him. this guy is a chameleon, a french canadian swiss army life who could play on any line and adapt to any style of play or tempo. just a testament to how hard he worked and turning himself into a guy who you could not take out of the lineup. i remember AV even using him as center for maybe 1 or 2 games. 

thanks for everything burr. so clutch always.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

You are not alone.

I recognize what the twins have done here but I have to agree. Their play sure has fallen this year, especially on the defensive side, a lot of times they seem very disinterested to me. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 6YPE said:

I recognize what the twins have done here but I have to agree. Their play sure has fallen this year, especially on the defensive side, a lot of times they seem very disinterested to me. 

I actually felt a sense of frustration from them when Bieksa went and McCann and Jake were brought into the team - I suspected all these "damned with faint praise" interviews they gave spoke volumes.

My reason for trading them and keeping Burr and Hansen was basically Burr and Hansen played a "universal game" By that I mean they still had speed, directness, compete and were able to respond physically, ( see Hansen's reaction to Kadri) all the things you would want from a vet along with a great capability to mentor the young players. Burr especially had a positivity and enthusiasm in everything he did, even when things were not going well for him.

The Sedins are like boxers who have had their bell rang one too many times. Their speed has gone, their passing often puts the team in danger, they constantly have tunnel vision for each other, even where better options are there for all to see. They are still skilled and still tough but they are now easily penned in by opponents and their options shut down. Above all their ability to defend is now non existent. While the coach and JB are demanding 2 way players in almost every position the Twins are like fish out of water in their own end.

I hate to admit this but while I appreciate we as yet don't have suitable alternatives this season, I fervently hope the Twins are not renewed and quite honestly I can't see any contender wanting them either. They need to retire at the top so that we will not remember them as they are now but how they have played magically for 15 years.

At this point I must confess and say there was a time last season where I thought Burr had lost it but he recovered this season and was back to his best.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

To be honest Deb, If the contractual timing was the same, I would rather have seen the Twins move as a package for a single top 15 first rounder than Alex Burrows..   I believe he creates a symmetry mentoring young players because of his experiences to get where he is.

And,. he can still play hard.       10 bucks says he is a Coach one day,. Possibly one of ours.

Keep the red light burrning Alex..  grab those silver rims.

He wants to become a GM.  He sees himself starting as a scout or in player development and working his way up.