The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chris Tanev Comparisons

Luwongo

Wish I had included Dustin Brown in this conversation. :wacko:

Guys, in this post we have comparisons to Nick Lidstrom, Duncan Kieth, Dan Girardi, Kieth Yandle... Give your head a shake! :picard::sadno:

Enjoy Tanev for what he is; a freak anomoly of efficiency. He is the guy who is small (185 lbs, btw he did spend last summer like CoHo with Gary Roberts to put on 10 of those lbs), and not particularly fast. And (as bad as it sounds to say) he is nothing exciting in terms of talents. He has no booming shot, breakout speed, ability to rush the puck, certainly no beastly ability to move guys from in front of the net... It's why he was not drafted. What he is, is a guy who simply confounds everybody by always being in the right position, playing within himself, has a quirky innate ability to read plays, gets to the right spot first and makes the right play quickly. He does not make mistakes trying to make plays he's not capable of. This does make him a highly effective role player for us.

He is one of the smartest players we have seen in a long time, and good for him!

But there is NOTHING to put him in the league of these guys.

And CDC'ers be warned. If I was Joel Quennsville, Dustin Byfuglien (or some other big ugly bastard) would be in front of the net EVERY single time he was on the ice. Coaches (other than AV, who sticks to his game plan) notice these things quickly in a seven game series, where they could not be bothered in the regular season. It's also only a matter of time ...

I think Hamhuis plays more physical than Tanev by quite a bit and also has better stick checking.

However, I think there's a great comparison on our roster: Sami Salo.

Smart, calming presences who are rarely rattled or making mistakes under offensive pressure. Also, both right handed shots.

Sami Salo has a much better shot, but Tanev seems to make a better first pass out of the zone and rolls off checks a bit better.

The comparison I make with Tanev is Keith Yandle from Phoenix. Yandle is only 3 years older and took a few seasons to become more offensive. They are both 6 ft 2 in and weigh very similar with Tanev having about 5 lbs on Yandle. But to me they skate very similar as taller, more lanky guys but are calm with the puck and good with their sticks and passing the puck up or skating it out.

Give Tanev a few more good years and I see him developing his offenseive abilities more, and becoming a good young, offensive defenseman like a Keith Yandle.

How does Tanev have 0 offensive potential? He's a great skater and can make a good first pass out of the zone. IIRC didn't he set up Tanner Glass with an open net during the Cup finals? He's calm and smart with the puck; his skating opens up lanes and therefore leads to offensive chances, whether directly or indirectly.

Tanev has the tools to be an offensive defenseman, he just hasn't had the training to use them properly and effectively.

How does Tanev have 0 offensive potential? He's a great skater and can make a good first pass out of the zone. IIRC didn't he set up Tanner Glass with an open net during the Cup finals? He's calm and smart with the puck; his skating opens up lanes and therefore leads to offensive chances, whether directly or indirectly.

Tanev has the tools to be an offensive defenseman, he just hasn't had the training to use them properly and effectively.

I don't understand the comparison with Salo. Tanev doesn't have anything close to Salos shot. The Finish McCinnis had one of the hardest shots in the league a few short years ago. I don't see Tanev being an offensive threat like Salo or developing a shot like Salos

Tanev's physical game will develop as he matures so the comparison to Hamhuis is closer than to Salo IMO

I'd compare him to Jay-Z, because he's a mf-ing p i m p on the ice.

Also, mabye Matty Ohlund, just because he's so calm on the ice. I can't remember such a young prospect with such a good first pass, and such good instincts. Looking forward to seeing how he plays in the playoffs with a more central role.

Can't think of any comparisons; dude's in a class by himself.

-zero physical attribute

-weakest slap shot in the NHL

-zero to minimal offensive ability (thus far)

-good mobility & decision making

This is a very odd combination given that he's already a decent NHLer and has shown ability to play reasonably well against middle quality opposition. We're all assuming that the offense will come, and it likely will given that D men take longest to develop, but suppose it doesn't. Not sure what to do with him then. Can't say I'd be pleased him being a top 4 without some significant improvements.

The only two Canuck dmen capable of 'moving' opposing forwards with size are Salo and Edler. I am not saying they are consistant about doing that. If you watch the LA forwards they are retaining puck control by using their bodies. Hamhuis, Ballard, even Bieksa will reach in and play the puck more than the body. Rome and Alberts play the body but don't get any real icetime. It works during the regular season but in playoffs the puck possession finess plays don't always work.

Archived