Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 5 votes

Has Av Coached His Last Game At Rogers' Arena?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
132 replies to this topic

#121 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,730 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

Burke & his truculent approach had gone overboard here; culminating in the Bertuzzi /Moore mess which has still not been settled in court.

After the lockout; the coach who hung Bertuzzi out for encoraging to get "pay back," the now reluctant & the stuck in the middle Naslund were all still here. Bert and Nazzy went from plus 30 something each to substantial minus players who seemed to have lost respect for the coach. They drifted through games the year after the lockout, we sulked & BURKE stood by all three while we were falling apart.

Burkie is good value, but needed to be moved at the time he did!

Okay well, whatever, that's actually even better.

I honestly didn't know I didn't pay much Attention to the Managing part of the Game at that time.

And That helps because its another example of us Firing a GM right as he's starting to Build a Contender.

Like I said thats why we were never a Contender because we always fire the Guy then the Next guy comes in and Add things that Shouldn't be part of the Vision.

#122 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,511 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

I was not surprise that AV put Ebbet and Phaulsson out there in that last min when we pulled the goalie. That's the type of head scratching move that I am so used to from AV.

I forget...

..who was it that scored the Canucks' second goal?

What is with people and the "President's Trophy"?

That trophy means jack s***. The only prize that matters is the Stanley Cup. I, for one, won't give a rats ass about the Presidents Trophy if we get bounced from these playoffs.

And Daniel? I'm sorry, if Pittsburgh can still be a force without Sidney, Vancouver should still be able to be a force without Daniel.

I'm editing this to add a bit more:
This is the exact situation Gillis could have, and SHOULD have, avoided at the deadline. The fact that a player can get injured is EXACTLY the reason you don't trade a budding star. Not only did we lose Daniel for these playoffs, we have also lost Hodgson.

I don't know the story, none of us know the story. Maybe it was Hodgson's camp making a huge deal about it and not Cody himself. I know it would be very tough if a father was involved, family is very important to some people, and this could be why he has kept his mouth shut. BUT REGARDLESS, Gillis bowed to the pressure and let them force his hand. And THAT, is a bad GM decision.

How many games has Pittsburgh won this postseason?
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#123 newgm

newgm

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

I'd like to think we could send Vig packing after this season but realistically you can`t fire a coach after a presidents trophy season. Add in in the loss of Daniel Sedin, and you have a legit excuse for playoff failure. I`d love to see him gone but the team would have to have a bad season or two before Gillis could justify pulling the trigger.

With the talent on this team, we would win in the regular season no matter who the coach is, so AV's record means absolutely squat to me. Just like AV's losing coaching record as a coach didn't prove that AV was a bad coach when Nonis hired him.

Gillis should have let AV go when he was hired, Nonis lost his job because AV couldn't make the playoffs with a team talented enough to make the playoffs and Luongo in goal.

Unfortunately, what became painfully obvious in back to back eliminations to Chicago and luckily surviving Chicago's unlikely comeback with Burrow's dramatic game 7 overtime goal last year, is that AV has never been or ever will be a difference maker as a coach.

He just doesn't think the game very well and has no motivational skills whatsoever and I have no doubt that a coach like Barry Trotz for example, would have won at least one cup in the last 3 years with the talent on this Canucks team. Whereas, AV would've probably missed the playoffs with the same under talented Nashville teams that Trotz consistently gets to play over their heads every year and manages somehow to make the playoffs.

I still think we can win this series, but the boys will have to do it in spite of AV, who I think won't be fired unless the Aqualini's order Gillis to pull the plug, which might happen since they max out on the cap for the last 5 years and don't have a Stanley Cups to show for it with the window almost closed.

Mac T if there's no one more qualified, this argument about hanging on to a coach that every fool can see is getting outcoached every playoff, because Scotty Bowman isn't available is a ridiculous.

#124 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:09 PM

no because we are making it to the next round

#125 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

Based on the all out warfare that has gone on tonight around the league,, I'm beginning to think that, as much as I can't stand Vig, the Mike Gillis pure finesse "Detroit model" can't win this year anyway, no matter who's behind the bench.

#126 Sully2Cool

Sully2Cool

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

NO
Posted Image

#127 gourami12

gourami12

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

Frankly, I think both MG and AV are "fair to middlin" management and coaching staff that got lucky with a bundle of talent and with some luck, parlayed it into a pretty good cup run.  Let's remember we were one goal away from being out in round 1 of last year.

Why does our team keep repeating the same stupid plays over and over, such as blind drop passes, when it clearly wasn't working two months ago?  Why do we keep shuffling personnel around the different lines looking for a magic spark?  I mean once in awhile I get you have to shake things up but it seems we are always trying new line pairings/combinations and getting burned more often than not?  Why oh why do we keep trying over and over to squeeze production out of Raymond when it's clear he can't finish, let alone stay on his feet?

Why does every other team in the playoffs play with an intensity that we can't match?  Why are we being outhustled and beaten to pucks?  What can't our coach seem to say anything particularly isightful after a game (win or loss) when other coaches seem to have excellent post game analysis?

Why can't AV motivate a team like Hitchcock did with the Blues, turning them around and going on a second half season tear?

Why does the media and every fan scratch their head trying to figure out what AV is trying to accomplish with his lineup changes?

it's easy to confuse skill and smarts with luck.   I wonder if maybe Canucks management may think they are a bit smarter than they actually are...

Edited by gourami12, 14 April 2012 - 10:11 PM.

#128 van_ws

van_ws

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

Jumping the gun here but I think AV has coached his last game at Roger's arena. He will be given his walking papers shortly. Gillis shouldn't be safe either, the owners need to realize that the moves made were questionable and open to also firing him if a first round exit occurs.

I would fire Gillis for the Hodgson deal alone. Absolutely brutal.

#129 IPlay4Beer

IPlay4Beer

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:13 PM

NO.
I HAVE WAITED ALL WINTER FOR PLAYOFFS TO START AND IT'S GOING TO LAST MORE THAN 6 DAYS!

I second this decision..... And it will be so.....
But just in case.......Do you golf??????

#130 luongotv

luongotv

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

Who in their right minds would fire his coach after they were so succesful...........Maybe Brian Burke, but not Mike Gills

Swedish-twins.gif

#131 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

Gillis did get taken to the cleaners by Luongo's agent in the mega contract negotiation when he was a rookie. He got embarrassed and left his successor a hell of an albatross. The goalie-captain fiasco was another rookie blunder that was painful to endure. He is learning on the job but at this point he's still no screaming hell. Drafting/development has been underwhelming as well. Not impressed with the "moneyball" Detroit model" malarkey either. The Backes offer sheet was ill-advised.

This guy has not added much to the program here, I don't think.

#132 Haidacanuck

Haidacanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:51 AM

I have to say for the first time I'm disappointed in AV. Taking a line that got results and changing it up h Sedin lappy were scoring we won 7 in a row , get it together let's get some goals to support the goalie ffs Bieksa hammy, Edler Salo back together, get Edlers confidence up and calm him down. And FFS work on the f'ing PP! Let's get some goddamn pushback and play some nuck hockey!!!! Go Canicks To

Edited by Haidacanuck, 15 April 2012 - 04:53 AM.

#133 fyrblaed

fyrblaed

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

a monkey can coach this team to the president's trophy. it's in the playoffs where a coach's ability comes into play. so far, la has been the better coached team. alain does not seem to have any answers to counter darryl's stratagem. if the canucks lose in the first round, i say kick him to the curb. we need a coach like paul mclean, who can comunicate better with the players and who the players will go to war for.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.