The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

I hope nash doesnt match and gets 4 first rounders...and philly has a horrible year or 2 in there and nashville cleans up. Offers like this are just sick and just puts me more in the owners corner regarding term limits...that being said..Philly owner should be careful at the meetings...he just might get toweled by the other owners!!!!

He needs to let Weber go. Ellis is emerging, so is blum and others, and honestly, Poile would handicapp that franchise for years by signing that deal.

He gets FOUR first round picks out of this. If he drafts right, he could pick some studs up in the coming years. Don't forget, thats also a ton of trade value right there he could package for someone or a higher pick. Ex: three 1st rounds for 1st overall next year?

Why do you pay Weber 25% of his contract for one year of play and then deal him?? The return would have to be astronomical.

What is likely going to happen is Poile and Homgren will work out a trade this week for Weber. This offer sheet was probably done to force the trade. The return for Poile will likely be pretty good. It will be better than 4 1st round picks. He can negotiate with Holmgren all week.

if I'm Poile I'd match it and then trade him after the one year NTC period to bring back many young assets. Sure, he has the cap space now, but if there are several young players who can come back the other way and help fill other roster gaps then he could really win long-term.

If Howson thinks Nash is worth 4 roster players (which he's not, he's worth less than Weber) then I wonder what kind of package Shea could get dealt for! :frantic:

No, but would Vanek have improved their position that much? They still would have been struggling to make playoffs, and would likely have been in a Calgary like situation, AND would have missed out on all of the promising talent that they are currently stacked with.

Poile will match. They'll take a 4 year loan and match. No issues there. Interest rate are dirt cheap. If they don't match, they will take a bigger financial hit from the loss of season ticket holders, no playoff revenue ( unlikely making the playoffs without Weber ), corporate sponsorship.

I just don't see how he doesn't match. The big hurdle is the first 4 years, and that can be solved by taking a loan. After that, it is smooth sailing.

I'm not a proponent of trading for Weber but if we take him on, couldn't we technically do a sign and trade with Edler where we give him a HUGE signing bonus in the 1st year to offset what they would have had to pay Weber?

Archived