Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Report] Canucks working on new deal for Burrows

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
255 replies to this topic

#61 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,324 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:34 PM

Burrows' goal in game 7 OT vs Chicago was the most important and "clutch" goal scored by a Canuck since Bure's OT goal vs the Flames during the 94 Run.

Also I know the OT was short (:11) but game 2 against boston? lol.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#62 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:36 PM

Burrows' goal in game 7 OT vs Chicago was the most important and "clutch" goal scored by a Canuck since Bure's OT goal vs the Flames during the 94 Run.

So that means we have to forget about all the times he hasn't showed up when the team needed his goal scoring the most?

Posted Image

#63 Bure fan

Bure fan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:36 PM

4 million is more then fair . The guy took a pay-cut last time. Guy deserves a raise this time around. Heart of gold

Edited by Bure fan, 15 August 2012 - 12:37 PM.

#10 Pavel Bure #96

Posted Image

#64 Buckeye Fruit

Buckeye Fruit

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

I think he is worth keeping
<p>Posted Image GO FALCONS!

#65 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,216 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:43 PM

$4.1 for 5 years git'r done MG!

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#66 susraiders

susraiders

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:43 PM

I'd love a 6 year $4.25 million a year contract

#67 Chronic.Canucks.Fan

Chronic.Canucks.Fan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:47 PM

By order of GVT last season:

Schneider
Burrows
H. Sedin

GVT?

#68 ridehard1212

ridehard1212

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:48 PM

5 years 20 million give er take.. yes his stats might be a bit inflated.. but on the other hand have you noticed that no matter what line he moves to he makes that line better??
I dont give a rat arz about my spelling/grammer mistakes,get over it and up urs if it bothers u!!!!

#69 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

So that means we have to forget about all the times he hasn't showed up when the team needed his goal scoring the most?

Not not at all, having said that I would argue that Burrows has shown up to score more often and scored more clutch goals than any other player in the league making $2 million per year.

knoxdown just gave another example of a very "clutch" goal by Burrows. Game 2 OT vs BOS in the SCF.

I was merely commenting on the importance of the goal you brought up.

Paul Henderson is a Canadian hero. Hockey royalty in Canada. Henderson is the recipient of The Order of Canada. He scored a very significant goal for Team Canada in the Summit series. Other than that he was a good but not great offensive player.

It could be argued that Burrows OT goal vs Chicago in game 7 was equal in importance to the Canucks organisation and our city's pride as Henderson's goal was to Team Canada and our country's pride at that time.

#70 ridehard1212

ridehard1212

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

even 5 million a year i would do.. (would not want too) but who are you going to replace burrows with? He is a 2way hard working 1st line defensive 30g man who can move up and down the line up and is really well liked.. u r not finding a better replacement for under 5.
I dont give a rat arz about my spelling/grammer mistakes,get over it and up urs if it bothers u!!!!

#71 Profanity

Profanity

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

Please check your breakfast cereal content.

#72 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

We might as well forget all those times Kesler didn't show up in the playoffs. He only had one great playoff series yet everyone calls on his "beast mode". When has he used this "beast mode" again? Oh right, when he was on the PP with the Sedins and Ehrhoff. I'm sure playing with the Sedins didn't inflate his numbers or anything....

And while we are at it, we might as well forget all those times the Sedins, Bieksa, Edler, Luongo etc. had bad playoff series....Did the Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa and Edler stand up for the team when we needed them in the playoffs? Nope so why hate Burrows? He scored the OT goal in game 2, but of course all Vancouver fans write that off as a fluke goal....

Burrows having a plus/minus of 0 in a 8-1 loss against the Bruins? "That was because of playing with the Sedins" - but wait, Henrik was -2 and Daniel -1. Kesler? -3, Edler? -4...might as well trade all those guys as well since they don't deserve their paycheck if they can't stand up for our team when we needed their scoring the most....

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#73 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

no kidding we're negotiating a new contract

Edited by debluvscanucks, 15 August 2012 - 06:01 PM.
Swear filter bypass

#74 Duda

Duda

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:58 PM

Not really, the only "clutch" goal i can remember is the goal against Chicago.

He's sucked every other playoffs i can think of.

not sure if trolling but...

the reason he works so well with Sedins is because of his hockey sense and positioning

you think that wouldn't translate to any other team with a playmaker?
based on his stats over the past few years anything under 5M per is going to be a discount

Burrows is clutch and part of the 'nucks core

#75 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,991 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:02 PM

I think most people are near the same page here at a $3.5-4.0 million per year deal for 3-5 year term.

I could live with that.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#76 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,881 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:05 PM

4yr 30M

#77 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,564 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

3.7 x 5 years

He's one of those players that can play on any line and in any role for the rest of his career.

naslundsig5.gif14326903821.giftowel.gif
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#78 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

Sign and then trade in a package to get someone like E.Kane or B.Ryan.

You have got to be joking me. He's the majority of the fan base's favorite player. Why? Because he is the type of player that every team can't get enough of. he can be a pest, he can score, he can kill penalties, he can be a leader, he can past, he can skate, he can be clutch. If you're willing to get rid of that you sir, don't know the game.

P.S. Obviously Kane and Ryan are better players but there is next to no chance to getting them and it would not be smart to give up Burrows in the trade,

#79 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,386 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:08 PM

I like burrows but can't help but think the Sedins boosted his play. He should get the salary of a 'good' second liner IMO.

Ask Stevie Y how Burrows did for Team Canada last spring. While you're at it ask Stevie if he would take Burrows in a trade?

#80 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:08 PM

3 years ~ 4.5
4 years ~ 4
5 years ~ 3.5

Something along those lines.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#81 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

Where are we going to find another player who plays a very strong defensive play and has great chemistry with the Sedins and Kesler?

Burrows and Kesler have been together for 7+ years and losing Burrows would mean losing our top PK unit...not to mention that when Kesler's game is going South AV can put Burrows with Kesler to reignite his game.

Now on to the Sedins, everyone says Burrows' numbers are inflated by the Sedins right? I don't think it is a coincidence that the Sedins turned from 2nd liners/fringe 1st liners into elite 1st line players after Burrows joined their line. Without Burrows, who is going to hound down pucks for the Sedins? And even if someone can, will they have the ability to pass the puck straight to the Sedins afterwards?

CDC really underestimates the importance of chemistry on a team. Burrows has chemistry with our 1st and 2nd line and he can also play on the 3rd to help shut down opposing players.

IMO, Burrows' skillset is very very underrated by CDC. I'm sure that he would get similar numbers if placed on a line with a decent playmaker or a sniper because he will be able to get them the puck so they can work their magic. Not to mention his ability to shut down the top offensive players on other teams...

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#82 EvoLu7ioN

EvoLu7ioN

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

3.5M cap hit per year tops. I'd give him a 5 year deal for 17.5M

He's 31 and likely to decline over the next few years. Yeah, he has a tendency to score in the clutch, I'll give him that. And he can put up decent numbers with the Sedins as well. But the flip side is that, when playing with the Sedins, our first line is a tad soft. If he could produce points with the Sedins while protecting them as well, I'd be willing to offer more.

Edited by EvoLu7ioN, 15 August 2012 - 01:14 PM.

Posted Image

#83 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:13 PM

He's probably are most consistent forward man, his goal scoring can be a bit streaky but he always gives it his all. I'm confused at which games you have been watching.

#84 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,386 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

Interesting news, Maybe MG plans on trading Burrows if he can't be signed to an extension at reasonable $. If he asks for too much MG might trade him while he can get a good return with 1 full year remaining on Burrow's current contract.

For those not old enough to remember this is exactly what happened when Burrows signed his last extension approaching trade deadline in 2009.

Burrows did not take a huge discount when he signed his last contract. He had recently started playing with the Sedins and the line clicked. Burrows could have gotten a little more but he didn't take millions less to stay with the Canucks.

No one at the time knew Burrows would score close to 30 goals per season for 3 straight years and become one of the Canucks' most clutch players. Burrows ended up being the best bargain in the entire NHL.

I think Burrows could get close to $4.5 mill per year on a 5 year deal as a UFA. It's going to be hard for MG to pay him that kind of money/caphit.

Or maybe MG might sign Burrows to a life time, front loaded contract to artificially keep his cap hit down.

Good post. Agree with everything other than the 5 year term. Even that makes sense if MG decides he has to move him. The nice about Burrows is that when his scoring tapers off he can revert to a solid defensive forward with lots of PK time.

#85 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

Not really, the only "clutch" goal i can remember is the goal against Chicago.

He's sucked every other playoffs i can think of.

What are you talking about Burrows has been plenty clutch not just the famous Chicago series

2 years ago, he sunk the Blues in a OT heart breaker to sweep the series, In Detroit the shootout goal to break the Redwings home record at 21, 3 years ago against the Canes he scored the shorthanded goal that ended our franchises longest losing streak, last year in the playoffs, he scored in double overtime against the Bruins to put the series at 2-0 Vancity favour.

Burrows has been clutch many times before, those are only some to really recognize...

2moy3iq.png

#86 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

Yeah, those Sedins really did the work on Alex' 3 goals in 5 games at the world Championships. WIthout them out there making Burrows look good he would have been a 3rd line grinder for the WC Team Canada, and while he is a good 2 way player, he certainly is not a .66 points per game guy without the likes of the Sedins propping him u.....WHAT????? they werent his linemates in the WC tournament, but that can't be right....he is just a 3rd line guy without the twins.....impossible I say.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#87 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,010 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

this thread has gone on long enough without oppa gangnam style.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#88 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

He's been pretty solid in the shoot-out as well. Without some of those extra points he got us last year, there is no presidents cup.

Granted, the play-offs are what it is all about, and he has certainly shown he can do that as well.

Edit
Among active NHL roster players, only Langenbrunner and Jagr have more play-off OT goals(4 goals) than Burrows (3 goals). 2 of those burrows goals were series clinching, and the other in the Stanley cup final. He has several years left, I sure hope we keep him.

Edited by gizmo2337, 15 August 2012 - 01:49 PM.

#89 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

this thread has gone on long enough without oppa gangnam style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

Is that Kim Jong Un? Glorious leader and superhiphopstar style?

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#90 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,358 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

If Burr signs now, it may be to take advantage of current CBA rules.

Retirement contract with a low cap hit? Why not? We'll see.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.