The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Not sure if coincidence. But I'm not in a football pool and watched maybe 1 game and between periods during Canucks pre-season. Just not into it. 

Maybe it's because there's so much Rugby on TV now, and I enjoy that so much more. 

I'm a casual fan but in a couple fantasy leagues so I watch at least a game a week. My friends are big fans. 

However alot of people are talking that this has been the worst start to the season they've ever seen. Very dry.

• Upvote 2

Essentially removing kickoffs has really hurt the game imo.  I miss watching players like Deon Sanders, Devin Hester, and Josh Cribbs take it to the house.  I realise it was due to safety but I mean no one is going to tune in to watch flag football if they keep this up.   They were 25 kick return td's in 2007 and just 7 last year,  now kickoffs are just a waste of time.  I just think it was a half ass way of trying to save face 'oh we're making our game safer' yet on the next play it's open season as usual.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Maybe they should remove the kickoff altogether.  Just put the ball at the 20 or 25 and start.  Gets kinda boring to watch a player kneel down in the end zone or watch as the ball passes through the end zone.  

Kickoffs are extremely boring, but that would remove the possibility of an on-side kick occurring.  Last minute on-side kicks are incredibly exciting,

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

The verbiage seems a little extra don't ya think?

I'm convinced half the stuff sometimes at the line is just too confuse and throw off opponents.

Most of the stuff at the line means something. I mean I know from my HS days that they say the cadence in the huddle and then they say it once at the line. We had a different color for each cadence so if we were going to snap on the 1st hike or go we would say a certain color and so on and so forth. Our QB's didn't really call protections. We did have plays called "check with me". Basically how those would work is that we would have a running play in our Play book to each side of the line and at the line of scrimmage the QB would see which side the defense was shading and chose what running play to run at the line. The trouble was that when we played our rivals, they knew our plays so we really couldn't call them by name. Instead we would do something like name a football player (would mean run to the right) and name a hockey player (would run to the left). I remember one call where the QB checked into a play to the right but then the defense shifted and checked it the other way. So at the line, the QB said about 3 different names of athletes in a 10 second sequence

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

A little video that shows just how complex 1 play in an NFL playbook can be. And the QB only has to make a half side read

True but we're the Madden generation so it's a little easier for some of us to comprehend:lol:

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, gmen81 said:

So Josh Gordon gets out of rehab today. Any chance we see him back in the NFL? 

Its funny that he's been out for 2 years for smoking weed, meanwhile you got guys like Ray Rice, Zeke and Josh Brown getting minimal games for beating women. 

Well the Pats could use a receiver, while their at it bring Megatron out of retirementB)

But yes, it is so moronic to be suspended 2 years for smoking pot yet we have team doctors over prescribing mind altering pain killers like it's going out of style.  That's one thing the CFL does right, and that is not test for weed.  It's not a performance enhancer so I just don't understand the fuss about it, especially since it's becoming legal in more places every year.  Yes I realise that pot is also mind altering but nowhere near as addictive. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Well the Pats could use a receiver, while their at it bring Megatron out of retirementB)

But yes, it is so moronic to be suspended 2 years for smoking pot yet we have team doctors over prescribing mind altering pain killers like it's going out of style.  That's one thing the CFL does right, and that is not test for weed.  It's not a performance enhancer so I just don't understand the fuss about it, especially since it's becoming legal in more places every year.  Yes I realise that pot is also mind altering but nowhere near as addictive. 

It enhances my bedroom performance and then I fall asleep right away. Win-win.

To me it's not about any drug's ability to be a performance enhancer; it's that it's illegal in the eyes of the NFL. I look at simply as breaking the policy. If your actions are in contravention of said policy, then you pay the price with whatever punishment fits the crime so to speak.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

It enhances my bedroom performance and then I fall asleep right away. Win-win.

To me it's not about any drug's ability to be a performance enhancer; it's that it's illegal in the eyes of the NFL. I look at simply as breaking the policy. If your actions are in contravention of said policy, then you pay the price with whatever punishment fits the crime so to speak.

Marijuana is a pain killer for many, including (especially) football players.  Yes, there are prescribed pain killers, that the league insists their players take, but many of those have really nasty side-effects. 

• Upvote 1