The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

12 minutes ago, YummyCakeFace said:

Wow is Cam Newton ever juvenile.  

Cam Newton is extremely intelligent.  His comments directed at this female reporter were likely planned in advance, and he only waiting for opportunity.  Why he said what he did is curious though.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Or is the world just way to sensitive anymore? 

Normally I agree with this but man that was so cringe worthy

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Cam Newton is extremely intelligent.  His comments directed at this female reporter were likely planned in advance, and he only waiting for opportunity.  Why he said what he did is curious though.

Nah, just because he can remember a playbook doesn't mean he can walk and chew gum at the same time.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

It's not a matter of sensitivity when you belittle a female reporter for being female and talking about routes as if only a man was allowed to ask a question about routes.

Its not belittling man. The majority of football fans are they male or female? I almost would take it as a compliment. Clearly he's never had a football discussion with a female that was this knowledgeable about it. It took him by surprise. 

If a 2 year old started talking to you about running routs wouldn't you be kind of taken back? If you were does that mean you hate 2 year olds? 

Step back from your keyboard Mr warrior.

Edited by 73 Percent

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Its not belittling man. The majority of football fans are they male or female? I almost would take it as a compliment. Clearly he's never had a football discussion with a female that was this knowledgeable about it. It took him by surprise. 

If a 2 year old started talking to you about running routs wouldn't you be kind of taken back? If you were does that mean you hate 2 year olds? 

Are you putting women and two-year-olds on the same level of football knowledge?

He may not have meant much by his comment, but it was a pretty stupid thing to say, and definitely not complimentary.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Are you putting women and two-year-olds on the same level of football knowledge?

He may not have meant much by his comment, but it was a pretty stupid thing to say, and definitely not complimentary.

Ugh. Okay ho e about if a 96 year old man was talking about routs. All I'm saying is she's not the typical fan.

According to NFL fan demographics the average fan is a white male over 50 yrs old  that makes 35-75k a year. 

Does she fit any of those? 

Also are you saying that 2 year olds aren't at the same level? That's age discrimination don't you Think? What do you have against 2 year olds? You don't think 2 year olds like football too?

That's pretty much how the world reacts to everything these days.

Screenshot_20171005-195205.png

27 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Ugh. Okay ho e about if a 96 year old man was talking about routs. All I'm saying is she's not the typical fan.

According to NFL fan demographics the average fan is a white male over 50 yrs old  that makes 35-75k a year. 

Also are you saying that 2 year olds aren't at the same level? That's age discrimination don't you Think? What do you have against 2 year olds? You don't think 2 year olds like football too?

I agree with you that it's a touchier world than it used to be.

However, there are more and more women sports reporters.  They've been in the locker room for years.  They're on the field doing interviews.  All before Cam ever put on a Panthers jersey.  This should not have been surprising, and, even if it was, he should know enough from being in the spotlight for years that you have to watch what you say about race and gender.  

And, look at the graphic you posted... the gender gap for NFL is pretty slim (yay NHL!!!).

How long would the reporter have kept her job if she commented on being surprised that Cam could speak in complete sentences, because black people on average don't get as good grades?

Edit: oh, yeah... she is a sports reporter.  It's her fricken job.  Fandom has nothing to do with it.

Edited by Kragar
  • Upvote 1

Can we just talk about sports and the actual games anymore politics... seems to seep into everything nowadays.

There is a Thursday night game tonight a good one on paper too Pats vs Bucs.

Yeah let's get feminists all gassed up like there are not enough problems in the world these days....

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Wow MLB and UFC really live up to their demographics stereotypes.

Mullenials dominate UFC consumption.

While Baby boomers are the bigger baseball fans who have the patient and more calmer temperaments to sit through 4 plus hours of moderate paced action.

5 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I gotta say I'm pretty shocked the NHL has a higher percentage of minority viewers than the NBA.

• Upvote 1

I like TNF, anytime there is a chance to put another football game on tv I am all for it.  I also like some of the Nike Rush jersey, the away ones that are all white look sleek,  Rams, Vikings, and Seahawks have sweet home Rush jerseys as well.   All the games have been close too iirc, last weeks Rams/49ers was a classic.

Like to give a big thanks to that TB kicker, thinking he's out of a job today.  At least the Pat D didn't look too bad last night.  They got 10 days now to figure it out and hopefully Gronk comes back too. 

I implore all you QB fans to watch elite 11 on NFL Network.   

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Are you kidding? She's a professional sports reporter and has been for years, and asked a question about the game of football. This isn't just some random girl from a Carolina bar who stumbled into the locker room and mentioned the word routes. 

Clearly he's never had a football discussion with a female knowledgeable about football? He's answered her questions in the past as this isn't her first NFL game covering the Panthers...

If a 2 year old who has been covering the NFL for a few years asked me about routes, why would I be taken back? If it was the 2 year old's job and this 2 year old has been in media scrums for the past couple years, what reason would I have for being taken back? 

It's 2017, and if you think females still should "take it as a compliment" when they surprise guys by knowing something about sports, you gotta give your head a shake.

8 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Are you kidding? She's a professional sports reporter and has been for years, and asked a question about the game of football. This isn't just some random girl from a Carolina bar who stumbled into the locker room and mentioned the word routes. 

Clearly he's never had a football discussion with a female knowledgeable about football? He's answered her questions in the past as this isn't her first NFL game covering the Panthers...

If a 2 year old who has been covering the NFL for a few years asked me about routes, why would I be taken back? If it was the 2 year old's job and this 2 year old has been in media scrums for the past couple years, what reason would I have for being taken back? 

It's 2017, and if you think females still should "take it as a compliment" when they surprise guys by knowing something about sports, you gotta give your head a shake.

Maybe that’s not Newton’s experience though?  Maybe he was truly impressed with the lady reporter, and wanted to point out that he was by complimenting her knowledge?  Maybe she’s been around asking questions for a while, and they’re getting more football oriented, and less about Cam’s personal life?