The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evan McEneny | D

Joel Heyman

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

There are the rumors about Quinn Hughes coming out earlier than the end of his college season too.  Adding him ASAP would be great!  He could play in that spot with Tanev?

I haven't heard the rumours, but I hope it's not true. He should at least finish the year with his college team, whether they end their season early or not. You want a guy that will want to finish things out rather than jump ship on the team. As excited as I am to see Hughes, I hope he finishes out the season the best he can and hopefully with some college accolades. There's also the whole small possibility that he doesn't turn pro this season so we don't have to protect him in the expansion.

• Upvote 1

On January 10, 2019 at 4:10 PM, theo5789 said:

I haven't heard the rumours, but I hope it's not true. He should at least finish the year with his college team, whether they end their season early or not. You want a guy that will want to finish things out rather than jump ship on the team. As excited as I am to see Hughes, I hope he finishes out the season the best he can and hopefully with some college accolades. There's also the whole small possibility that he doesn't turn pro this season so we don't have to protect him in the expansion.

I see Vancouver signing Quinn after season is over in March..I think if Hughes plays under 9 games this season he would not have to be protected in expansion draft in Seattle?? 

Trying to find out if this is correct?? Maybe someone on site knows this rule??

26 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I see Vancouver signing Quinn after season is over in March..I think if Hughes plays under 9 games this season he would not have to be protected in expansion draft in Seattle?? 

Believe that this 9/ 10 game rule only applies to players who would turn 18/ 19 in 2019. QH turns 20, meaning that 1 professional game starts the 'years played' clock. AM 650 was spouting the 9 game free pass idea yesterday, but I believe that they are wrong ! ( again ! )

45 minutes ago, wildcam said:

And that's fine. If we need to protect him in the expansion then so be it, but at least he finished out the year with his team that he committed to for the year.

On 12/6/2018 at 6:07 PM, UticaHockey said:

Ok time for me to add my "salty" commentary.  While McEneny is skating better than he was in October there is no way that he could handle the pace of the NHL right now.  He is still a long way from where he was before he lost most of last season from knee injury and surgery.

The Comets are a league worse -22 goal differential and the defense is a mess. Take the +- stat for what it's worth but Evan is a team worse -17 and has not played well at all in the defensive zone of late.  Sadly the only dmen that are playing well right now are AHL contracted Blujus and Sifers neither of which have any NHL upside.

I know this isn't what anyone wants to hear but it is the state of the Comets defense right now.

@UticaHockey; you posted this a month ago about Evan McEneny.

Have you seen any improvement in his game during that time?

Is there progress in his overall game and skating, as he seemed to be on the cusp of making the NHL last year before his injury. I am hoping they at least extend him one more year if nothing else and see if a full summer of off season training can bring him back up to the level he needs to be at in order to vie for a spot on the Canucks next fall

Edited by Kootenay Gold
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

UticaHockey; you posted this a month ago about Evan McEneny.

Is there is progress in his overall game and skating, as he seemed to be on the cusp of making the NHL last year before his injury. I am hoping they at least extend him one more year if nothing else and see if a full summer of off season training can bring him back up to the level he needs to be at in order to vie for a spot on the Canucks next fall

Just a general FYI .. if you use the “@“ before the members identity, it directly alerts him/her of your post.

• Thanks 2

On 1/12/2019 at 1:28 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

@UticaHockey; you posted this a month ago about Evan McEneny.

Is there progress in his overall game and skating, as he seemed to be on the cusp of making the NHL last year before his injury. I am hoping they at least extend him one more year if nothing else and see if a full summer of off season training can bring him back up to the level he needs to be at in order to vie for a spot on the Canucks next fall

From what I see there has been slow process in McEneny overall game as the season has gone on but I still don't think his skating has come back enough where he could handle the pace of the NHL.  Faster skaters are still taking advantage of him.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

From what I see there has been slow process in McEneny overall game as the season has gone on but I still don't think his skating has come back enough where he could handle the pace of the NHL.  Faster skaters are still taking advantage of him.

Sounds like he is really going to have to put a lot of effort into his training in the summer. I hope he does as I am routing for him.

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

McEneny 1g 2a tonite, giving him 2g 7a 9 pts +9 in his last 9 games.  I’d say he has his game back.  Anyone know if he can be brought up at some time this year without risk of loss through on waivers?

Could be wrong but Im pretty sure you have to play 30 games before needing waivers again. I really want to see him this year and see if he can be a more consistent defensemen then guys like POuliot

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Could be wrong but Im pretty sure you have to play 30 games before needing waivers again. I really want to see him this year and see if he can be a more consistent defensemen then guys like POuliot

Thanks, re the waiver requirements.  Yeah, I’d like to see him with the Canucks for a look, too.

Edited by Ray_Cathode
Spell

• 3 weeks later...

Is it just me or is McEneny being underrated? I'm still baffled at how people suggest bringing up Brisebois or Sautner instead of McEneny. Does McEneny have bad defense or something? His offensive numbers far and away outstrip Sautner and Brisebois and it's not like age is a huge factor either. He's the same age as Sautner (24 years old) and admittedly three years older than Brisebois (21 years old).

McEneny's having the best year of his career and is a big physical body at 6'3" and 221lbs. How can we not give this kid a chance?

A comparison of their offensive numbers:

McEneny.png

McEneny is currently on pace for 12 goals, 28 assists, and 40 points in a full 76-game season. I say we give him a shot at some point this year.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Is it just me or is McEneny being underrated? I'm still baffled at how people suggest bringing up Brisebois or Sautner instead of McEneny. Does McEneny have bad defense or something? His offensive numbers far and away outstrip Sautner and Brisebois and it's not like age is a huge factor either. He's the same age as Sautner (24 years old) and admittedly three years older than Brisebois (21 years old).

McEneny's having the best year of his career and is a big physical body at 6'3" and 221lbs. How can we not give this kid a chance?

A comparison of their offensive numbers:

McEneny.png

McEneny is currently on pace for 12 goals, 28 assists, and 40 points in a full 76-game season. I say we give him a shot at some point this year.

I really like McEneny. I like all three mentioned players, but McEneny is my favourite. I especially like his outlet passes from the d-zone. Not too sure what rubs JB the wrong way. His plus/ minus is pretty poor, but I believe he has been the victim of most of the Comets EN goals against.

• Upvote 2

I think it' because he's still coming off of a major surgery. He looks fine now, but there' no harm in giving him some time still and not force anything. Besides, the other defenders have earned their chance too and McEneny has played NHL games before.

• Upvote 1