The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Prospect Stats Tracker 2012-13 (Regular Season)

avelanch

Our prospect pool may be lacking in top-end talent, but the sheer number of defensive prospects that, in my opinion, have a real good shot at being everyday NHLer's is impressive. Tanev, Connauton, Sauve, Corrado, Price, and Mcnally all have the capabilities to be significant players. While Andersson and Tommernes should play somewhere in the NHL at some point in their careers.

There may not be any star-talent, but it should give an indication of our scouting being able to find NHL talent in the later rounds which is imperative in the 'new' NHL.

I don't know about depressing, the Canucks don't have any prospects that I expected to set the world on fire to begin with. Even though he's slowed down as of late, Nicklas Jensen is still having a solid year, Kassian and Schroeder are playing pretty much as expected ( good but not league leading point totals) Corrado has exceeded expectations, and Gaunce and Mceneny are playing ok after early season injuries.

The only prospects I'm truely disappointed with so far is Joe Labate, expected more. Besides that, any other of our lower end prospects doing well is just a plus.

Over the next 2 years we should add:

Kassian

Jensen

Tanev

Cannauton

Lack

...maybe Schroeder and Corrado

That's adding 7 young guys to the roster, that is a lot and reflects a great job of drafting. Sadly none of these are projected to be game changers. One could be very optimistic and project:

Lack - career NHL starter

Kassian or Jensen - top 6, maybe top 3

Corrado, Tanev, Cannauton # 4-6 d men

Not super awesome, more quantity than quality

Over the next 2 years we should add:

Kassian

Jensen

Tanev

Cannauton

Lack

...maybe Schroeder and Corrado

That's adding 7 young guys to the roster, that is a lot and reflects a great job of drafting. Sadly none of these are projected to be game changers. One could be very optimistic and project:

Lack - career NHL starter

Kassian or Jensen - top 6, maybe top 3

Corrado, Tanev, Cannauton # 4-6 d men

Not super awesome, more quantity than quality

Schroeder doesn't have much of a choice to be top six point producer. I know his size isn't ideal for a bottom six player, but you could take Nathan Gerbe for example playing in the bottom six for Buffalo...was a point producer when in Boston College but had to redefine his game because his offensive game just wasn't dynamic enough to win himself a top six position...besides When you have Ennis, Pomminville, Vanek and Stafford ahead of ya..its hard to win a spot.

But he redefined his game a pesky lil fella in the bottom six roll but yet still able to rock out a 25-30 point production. I've watched Sabre games before, hes got a lot of grit and determination for a guy who stands at 5'5'' and 173 pounds. I think Schroeder can do that too..i've seen some highlights and Schroeder can hit players, because he is so small his center of gravity is pretty good and has the ability to deliver some pretty solid checks. Sure it isn't bone crushing but solid ones that finish off his check. His defensive game can only get better and has a fairly good offensive jump. So if need be he could very well play a bottom six roll, it doesn't always have to be the stereotypical 6 foot hard nosed hitter.

Archived