Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Who Would You Choose To Replace Gary Bettman?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#31 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

Gary Coleman,if he were alive.
Posted Image

If the way Torts stepped up doesn't inspire anyone to work harder, I'll drive them to the airport myself.

</p>

#32 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

This.  He showed more intelligence in the first page of his book than Bettman has during the course of his entire life.

it was in 1993, when Bettman left his post as general counsel and trusted lieutenant to NBA boss David Stern to try running a league of his own."I gave Gary a puck," Pat Williams, Orlando's GM at the time, chuckled, "and he spent the rest of the day trying to open it up."

Posted Image
Posted Image

If the way Torts stepped up doesn't inspire anyone to work harder, I'll drive them to the airport myself.

</p>

#33 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

Don Cherry? I like the guy and all, but seriously?
Posted Image

#34 BabychStache

BabychStache

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:11 PM

Brett Wilson.
Posted Image
Credit to Goaltenderinterference for the awesome Sig!

#35 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

Pointless thread

Obviously since Your asking if I was an Owner
I guess Bettman stays then and is not replaced, They didnt just have to give him a big extension, if they were not satisfied

As I have stated before a good chunk of the NHLPA has Bettman to thank too.
Without his over expansion and diluting the talent,
These guys would not be in the Big Leagues making the Big bucks, where everyone becomes a Millionaire

I see the fans being hateful of Bettman for obvious reasons
Maybe the Richer teams,who have to give back their expansion money to help these Teams continue to operate

If the players want to keep there membership rate up, they too will need to help subsidize these weaker Teams , not just the Owners

I dont understand how the kids think that the players or we as fans have any say whatsoever in what the owners do or who they pick to be commissioner of the league.

We dont get to 'pick' this nor is it a popularity contest in the slightest.
Posted Image

#36 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:01 AM

I dont understand how the kids think that the players or we as fans have any say whatsoever in what the owners do or who they pick to be commissioner of the league.

We dont get to 'pick' this nor isit a popularity contest in the slightest.

It is only in the sense of making the owners happy. The fact that Bettman got a lenghhy extension with a rather nice raise would indicate he's doing exactly what the owners want. Something that goes way over the heads of far too many. Being the commissioner is all about making the owners happy. That's how you keep your job.

Edited by Baggins, 03 November 2012 - 01:01 AM.

Posted Image

#37 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:27 AM

I vote Brian Burke. Much as people hate him, he's got the educational pedigree and actually gives a damn about the sport.

Also the idea that the owners are all in love with Bettman is overrated. See: Dolan, James. Bettman has done more right than wrong, but it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility to see him thrown under the lockout bus if the owners continue to lose the PR war.

#38 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

It is only in the sense of making the owners happy. The fact that Bettman got a lenghhy extension with a rather nice raise would indicate he's doing exactly what the owners want. Something that goes way over the heads of far too many. Being the commissioner is all about making the owners happy. That's how you keep your job.

I think we get it. Doesn't diminish the weasel hate.
Posted Image

</p>

#39 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,628 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

What a joke! Ken Dryden??? A washed up Libel hack who has done nothing since playing goal for the Habs. What creditials does he have for running a multi-billion $ enterprise. Like most Libels he would have trouble understanding a balance sheet.

As Baggins states Bettman has done a decent job for the NHL. Increased revenue from $400 mil to $3.3 billion. It is not his job to make either the fans or players 'love' him. If you need a father figure to idolize then tune in that all time favorite HNIC rube Ron Maclean.

#40 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

Couldn't find this so started a thread. I know we all pretty much hate him, except a few weirdo's, but who would you choose to replace Gary if you were the owners? As a fan I know the obvious answer is anyone... literally anyone: baby cousin, sister, a clown (oh wait that's what we have now), Arnold "I'll be back" Schwarzenegger, Peyton Manning. The point is that it doesn't really matter because anyone is better, but it would be nice to have a legitimate replacement to consider...

My choice is Aaron Rome of course, What's the guy not good at right?

Derp...

http://www.brobible.com/gear/video/hercules-check-nhl-13

For good measure

I would choose Arnold Schwarzneggar. He used to be the governor of California so running the NHL would be a piece of cake for him. Plus, he will bring the violent old school hockey back. Maybe he will introduce some of the rules from "The Running Man" movie to the new NHL. He is also a physical specimen and not a midget like Bettman.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#41 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

What a joke! Ken Dryden??? A washed up Libel hack who has done nothing since playing goal for the Habs. What creditials does he have for running a multi-billion $ enterprise. Like most Libels he would have trouble understanding a balance sheet.

As Baggins states Bettman has done a decent job for the NHL. Increased revenue from $400 mil to $3.3 billion. It is not his job to make either the fans or players 'love' him. If you need a father figure to idolize then tune in that all time favorite HNIC rube Ron Maclean.

He also increased the number of the lockouts in the past two decades from 0 to 3. Well, it seems like every time the CBA expires, there is a lockout guaranteed.

Posted Image

#42 I♥Wellwood

I♥Wellwood

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

Brian Burke for sure. He's intelligent, cares about the game and knows how to get fans in seats.

Posted Image

#43 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

One thing I don't understand is how people give credit to Bettman for "increasing" revenue from $400 million to now $3.3 billion.

Just prior to Bettman arriving, the NHL had 22 teams. To make things simple, I'm gonna make the example that each team earned the same revenue and the expansion teams came all at the same time. $400 divide by 22 team is about $18 million each. Add in the extra 8 expansion teams from 1992-present, it'll be an extra $144 million, totaling to $544.
With inflation of 3% (could be argue to be more) per year for 20 years, revenue in 1990's dollar to present dollar would be $982 million.

Without including factors like a very weak Canadian dollar during the 90's and now a very strong CAD, all in all, he tripled the revenue of the NHL. Not bad, but David Stern increase NBA revenue by 500% in roughly the same time period and with less expansion teams too.

One have to consider that the revenue increase has to do with each team's management rather than a direct by Gary Bettman. Canadian teams being money-makers depends on the dollar. The Rangers, Red Wings, Bruins, Flyers, etc.... they all earn more money due to their own regional TV contracts, merchandising, etc.

In short.... Bettman's "business acumen" is over-rated.

#44 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

just a question is bettman just as bad as David Stern? or equally bad at their job as commissioner

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#45 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:03 PM

Fehr.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#46 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,779 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:20 AM

Burke could do decent possibly. Although we all hate Bettman, you can't say he didn't do a good job in expanding the league. I mean in the 90's at least the NHL expanded into the 30 team league it is now. Sure some of them expansion teams haven't really succeed but I'm pretty sure the NHL is a lot bigger now with al 30 teams.

---> I don't like Bettman but you must appreciate what he did in the 90's to bring 30 teams in this league. That opened up a lot of jobs for young player, in which some maybe would have not been given a chance in a smaller league.
Posted Image

#47 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,348 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:36 AM

Burke could do decent possibly. Although we all hate Bettman, you can't say he didn't do a good job in expanding the league. I mean in the 90's at least the NHL expanded into the 30 team league it is now. Sure some of them expansion teams haven't really succeed but I'm pretty sure the NHL is a lot bigger now with al 30 teams.

---> I don't like Bettman but you must appreciate what he did in the 90's to bring 30 teams in this league. That opened up a lot of jobs for young player, in which some maybe would have not been given a chance in a smaller league.

this is one reason I hate him, the league is overexpanded, lowering the overall quality of the product, instead of having great teams, good teams, mediocre teams and bad teams we now have 30 average teams. He turned it into the corporate America Hockey league which just made the revenue gap between the haves and have nots wider, so forcing in a salary cap is just a way of trying to fix a problem he created in the first place. I grew up with great teams like the 70's Canadians, 80's Islanders and Oilers, we will never see teams like that again. Not having an "Evil Empire" can be bad for the game, every sport needs a villain, a team the fans of non playoff teams can unite to cheer against, like the Yankees, I bet tons of fans of teams who didn't make the MLB playoffs watched the Tigers sweep with great joy. I used to watch NASCAR, but since Dale Earnhardt died it just isn't the same although Tony Stewart is doing his best to be the force of evil.
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#48 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:29 AM

this is one reason I hate him, the league is overexpanded, lowering the overall quality of the product, instead of having great teams, good teams, mediocre teams and bad teams we now have 30 average teams. He turned it into the corporate America Hockey league which just made the revenue gap between the haves and have nots wider, so forcing in a salary cap is just a way of trying to fix a problem he created in the first place. I grew up with great teams like the 70's Canadians, 80's Islanders and Oilers, we will never see teams like that again. Not having an "Evil Empire" can be bad for the game, every sport needs a villain, a team the fans of non playoff teams can unite to cheer against, like the Yankees, I bet tons of fans of teams who didn't make the MLB playoffs watched the Tigers sweep with great joy. I used to watch NASCAR, but since Dale Earnhardt died it just isn't the same although Tony Stewart is doing his best to be the force of evil.

Again, this was the owners mandate when hiring Bettman. So you hate Bettman for doing what he was told to do. That's exactly how he's kept his job.

:picard:
Posted Image

#49 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,003 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

Gretzky, hell anyone who realizes hockey doesn't work in the desert/tropics would do just fine.

Anyone else see the irony in this post?
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

#50 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,348 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

Again, this was the owners mandate when hiring Bettman. So you hate Bettman for doing what he was told to do. That's exactly how he's kept his job.

:picard:

Put your ego aside, get down of the soap box and get back to me when you understand what Bettman's job actually is,

hint: it isn't to play Waylon Smithers to the owners.
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#51 fwybwed

fwybwed

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

Bettman cannot be replaced....FORTUNATLY lol

#52 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,622 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#53 erkayloomeh

erkayloomeh

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

True. But you would think there was a way to get the job done without everyone hating you. He comes across like a smug bastard and when you act like that people you are dealing with will pull back. Hes not that great really. the owners could do better.
GOD BE PRAISED

#54 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:32 AM

Put your ego aside, get down of the soap box and get back to me when you understand what Bettman's job actually is,

hint: it isn't to play Waylon Smithers to the owners.

Get your head out of your butt for a second. How do you think he's kept his job and received a healthy raise?

hint: it isn't by doing whatever he pleases.
Posted Image

#55 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:01 AM

True. But you would think there was a way to get the job done without everyone hating you. He comes across like a smug bastard and when you act like that people you are dealing with will pull back. Hes not that great really. the owners could do better.

Is any sports commissioner truly loved by that sports fans? The commissioner is just the guy that's the easy target as he's the face of the collective owners. He makes the announcements and if they're unpopular he gets the ire of the fans. You have to be rather thick skinned for the job.

Most guys that run billion dollar companies come across as smug. I've dealt with enough CEO's through the years that I can just about pick out "top dogs" by the perma-smug superiority looks on their faces. It doesn't apply to all of them, but certainly more than enough. And many are far worse than Bettman in that regard.
Posted Image

#56 Ryan Murray

Ryan Murray

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

We need a guy who was a fan favorite when he played, and he's been through the rough and tough of hockey. He needs to have a good balance of this character and business. I'd say Ken Dryden.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#57 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

Romney, he has nothing else to do for 4 years...

#58 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

Romney. NHL loves guys who are out of work

#59 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

ANYone

#60 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

Bettman cannot be replaced....FORTUNATLY lol

?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.