The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

So.... If there is no hockey being played and no CBA talks going on. What the puck is Donald and Gary doing that is so important than the two things I just mentioned??? There isn't anything else you can do except continue to bridge the gap. Bill daly was in a meeting in Toronto actually today, so there was something.....

"Secret" meetings went on today between Bettman, Daly, and both Fehr's. Apparently they plan to meet again next week.

Hopefully they're actually making progress and not just sitting in a room and staring at each other.

Why don't they just lower the cap floor for this upcoming season so that struggling teams can spend less on players in order to cut their expenses. Then slowly lower the salary cap ceiling over the next few seasons to close the gap and maintain the parity. That way players don't lose their current salaries, but teams have the ability to spend less on player salaries now.

Dan Boyle also went on record saying that he believes the majority of NHL owners didn't want a lockout, and that it's only a select group of teams, and Gary Bettman, that are holding the negotiations hostage.

The report says that the NHL only needs 8 votes from owners to veto any proposal by the players. So pretty much it may be as few as 8 teams that are keeping this thing from getting done right now. Any guesses as to who those 8 teams would be? My guess is you can add any of the struggling teams to the list. Maybe a couple greedy owners too.

Dan Boyle also went on record saying that he believes the majority of NHL owners didn't want a lockout, and that it's only a select group of teams, and Gary Bettman, that are holding the negotiations hostage.

The report says that the NHL only needs 8 votes from owners to veto any proposal by the players. So pretty much it may be as few as 8 teams that are keeping this thing from getting done right now. Any guesses as to who those 8 teams would be? My guess is you can add any of the struggling teams to the list. Maybe a couple greedy owners too.

Thanks for the update. I had the impression that it wasn't a 'uninamous' decision that the media made it out to be. Successful teams like the Canucks, Rangers, Penguins, Leafs, Canadiens, Flyers, Sharks, Blackhawks etc. take losses from the lockout while struggling franchises can hold out as long as they want because paying player salary cuts their profits significantly. It begs the question though, why didn't these struggling teams like the NHLPA's proposal to better redistribute profits? I have to think there is more politics going on.

Thanks for the update. I had the impression that it wasn't a 'uninamous' decision that the media made it out to be. Successful teams like the Canucks, Rangers, Penguins, Leafs, Canadiens, Flyers, Sharks, Blackhawks etc. take losses from the lockout while struggling franchises can hold out as long as they want because paying player salary cuts their profits significantly. It begs the question though, why didn't these struggling teams like the NHLPA's proposal to better redistribute profits? I have to think there is more politics going on.

The deal that could get this whole thing done:

- HRR stays the same formula

- 7 year deal, player's share drops 1% each year to end up at an equal 50%

- Player actual salary is protected from lowering in real dollars this season and the cap stays at the $70 million

- The ACTUAL cap is guaranteed not to lower below $64 million over the course of the deal (you pro-rate this amount over each of the last 6 years of the deal... the cap cannot lower more than a million per year)

- an increase in revenue sharing amongst teams

- 6 year limit on contract length

- cap hit is the actual dollars paid in a year and not the average... or some complicated formula that protects against hugely front loaded contracts. Something like no year in a deal can pay more than double of the lowest year in the deal.

This gives a lot from the players, but also pushes the league to have to grow revenues because if revenues shrink or don't grow at all, the player share stays higher because of the guaranteed cap amount. If the league does grow even at a modest pace of inflation, they drop the player share dramatically over the course of the deal.

In the end it is going to look something like this, lets just hope that it is sooner rather than later.

In the meantime I am going to enjoy watching the Heat and Wolves on Sportsnet on October 20th. I would love to have them televise our AHL games to get to have a good look at our prospects.

He also suggests that some of the owners are simply looking to delay the start of the season so that they can save money on player salaries.

If you think about it, it makes sense. If they start the season in January, the struggling teams save about 35 million dollars in player salaries this season by only having to pay players for half of this season. Then next season, they will have to pay less due to the players concessions and the increased revenue sharing.

So even if the players offer is fair, their may be some teams that are determined to delay the start of the season no matter what.

The funny thing about this whole thing is everyone knows what is going to happen in the end and that's the players will crack and give in to the league. I side with the players on a lot of the issues but the bottom line is the owners don't need the NHL to make money, infact many of them make more money without running their teams. The players are just going to end up losing more if they wait it out, even if they manage to get a slightly better deal from the owners it won't make up for the money they lose if they are locked out for any significant amount of time.

Bob McKenzie took to Twitter last night to give us some of his thoughts on the lockout:

we’ll lose the whole year but we’ve still got a month or two to salvage a Dec or Jan start up, so we’ll see.

our first real movement from either side in coming week but whether that creates legit traction for talks, who knows?

, I don’t doubt either side’s resolve. That may be the problem. Owners think players will cave. Players think owners will cave.

, we’ll lose the season before anyone blinks.

the NHL is insistent on getting such a significant and immediate clawback (57 to 50 per cent). Too much, too soon.

that we are cancelling games and players are still stuck on notion of not taking any tangibe dollar reduction.

to get best deal possible at right time but if players insist on no tangible reduction to actual $, turn out the lights.

, but I am surprised at how many players think Bettman and/or owners will blink. Maybe they will, but… …

I’ve learned in 30+ yrs covering this game, Bettman, Jeremy Jacobs and Ed Snider don’t strike me as bluffers.

I checked, Don Fehr isn’t a guy who shies away from a fight. So that pretty much brings us to where we are.

, have no voice in this dispute, at this moment. But once dispute is over, they have the only voice that matters.

you shouldn’t voice frustration/anger now, I’m saying the only real impact you have is by not spending your $$$.

As for
: if lockout goes all year, players lose or burn that year of their contract…

, and maybe this why it won’t last all season, is if it goes whole season, prospects of 2nd season being affected are high IMO.

, I can see NHLPA putting salary cap back on table. Then we have a fight that makes this one look like Boy Scout Jamboree.”

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/

Archived