21 replies to this topic

#1 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,516 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

Hockey prospect evaluator Corey Pronman released his list for the top 50 players under the age of 23 yesterday. Two Canucks (Tanev and Kassian) made the top 50.

Top 50 Under 23

1. Steven Stamkos, Center, Tampa Bay Lightning

It's Stamkos and then the pack in this discussion. He is one of the league's elite players, and while his raw possession output hasn't been elite, his tools are certainly all there and he has proven himself to be a once in a generation level finisher.

2. John Tavares, Center, New York Islanders

These next three players were hard to order, and I could see a legitimate argument for any of them to be #2. I ended up siding with Tavares because on a scouting level, I've always been blown away by him and I can't begin a Tavares write-up without remembering discussions I had with scouts in 2008 and 2009 referring to him as a generational prospect. He is a special talent with the kind of offensive sense you don't find often and has improved his skating since turning pro. The only argument against him right now would be that it would be preferable to see him produce at a high level without the high offensive zone starts, but the quality of teammates argument somewhat counteracts that.

3. Tyler Seguin, Center, Boston Bruins

In the Taylor vs. Tyler debate back in 2010, I saw these two as a coin flip with a slight lean to Hall, and now I would just say the reverse. Seguin took a significant leap forward this year and with his combination of skating, hands, and hockey sense, he is tracking right now to be one of the league's best.

4. Taylor Hall, Left Wing, Edmonton Oilers

Hall hit the ground running in the NHL and has quickly emerged into a top-tier possession player. He has so many tools in the arsenal to threaten defenders with along with a top grade work ethic. Injuries have been a slight concern, especially giving his style of play, but I'm not overly concerned in that area yet.

5. Drew Doughty, Defense, Los Angeles Kings

Drew Doughty has been a top-end defenseman for a number of seasons after entering the league logging tough minutes from the get-go. He has a ton of offensive ability between his skating and hands on top of being able to be a very quality defender. His impressive track record at such a young age to go along with his immense talent level makes him the top defenseman under 23 in the NHL.
38. Chris Tanev, Defense, Vancouver Canucks

Tanev is an extremely smart defenseman with good mobility, and he looks the part of a blueliner with significant value despite not being your ideal power play quarterback. His ability to be a positive possession player while playing tough minutes at his age has certainly been impressive.
48. Zack Kassian, Right Wing, Vancouver Canucks

I've been impressed with Kassian's development over the last year or so from a pure power forward into a player whose gotten quicker and has shown better offensive elements to his game. He was OK at best in the NHL, but if he comes together he could be a quality player.

It's worth mentioning Pronman had previously always ranked Hodgson ahead of Kassian in previous lists, but Hodgson only makes the honourable mentions this time around, falling behind Kassian.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#2 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,185 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

Cool. Thanks for posting.

Interesting that Canucks only have 2 regulars under 23 and both made this list.
Is Tanev the only free agent signing on this list? I believe so. Pretty cool.

I can't believe this guy is only #48

Posted Image

Edited by RunningWild, 29 October 2012 - 04:49 PM.

#3 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

POPULAR

News flash: Hodgson's dad calls out Corey Pronman for wrting an inaccurate list.

Edited by monkeydluffy, 29 October 2012 - 05:16 PM.

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#4 Alchemy Time

Alchemy Time

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,800 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:22 PM

News flash: Hodgson's dad calls out Corey Pronman for wrting an inaccurate list.

Thank you for posting this.
Posted Image

#5 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

yay for Tanev and Kass but Coho only making honorable mentions is a little wtf

#6 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,732 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

I honestly haven't seen much of Justin Faulk, but is he really good enough to be 14th, and ahead of proven defencemen like Bogosian and Myers, and other players like O'Reilly, Duchene, Kane, Eberle, and Stepan?

Posted Image

STHS Hockey League - Brooklyn Beavers GM

#7 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,050 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:12 PM

Hodgson should have made the list.
Posted Image

#8 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

I honestly haven't seen much of Justin Faulk, but is he really good enough to be 14th, and ahead of proven defencemen like Bogosian and Myers, and other players like O'Reilly, Duchene, Kane, Eberle, and Stepan?

Bogosian is far from proven, I think....but definitely deserves to be ranked ahead of guys like Faulk, and even O'Reilly.

That said, take this list with a grain of salt.
CANUCKS TILL I DIE

#9 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

^^
I'd agree, Cody, the Sabres' #1 center, deserves the spot of someone like Nazem Kadri whose prospects aren't looking very healthy right now, not sure if he'll be able to rise to the big league level and claim his spot in the Top 6 that he was touted to play in when he was drafted.

Also agreed Tanev should've been below Burmistrov, Ennis, Kruger, Johansson and Gudbranson at least.

Edited by g@m3b0i, 29 October 2012 - 09:47 PM.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#10 Gally

Gally

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,455 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

I'm sorry but Tanev should not be on there at least not that high.

1zcq151.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

my mom wouldn't let me touch the laptop because I have to stand after I eat....kinda stupid

#11 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,125 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

Hodgson should have made the list.

Easily.

Given his ice time and in top 5 rookie scoring last year, he was a legitimate Calder contender
Posted Image

#12 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,185 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

I'm sorry but Tanev should not be on there at least not that high.

awhhh, poor Tanman.

Pronman noted why he's there. I don't think people realize how incredibly amazing his underlying #'s are. I was looking at the rookie d-men usage charts, and only 1 rookie played tougher mins and posted better underlying #'s than Tanev - Scandella (who's 2 yrs older and has more experience). Out of 20+ rookie d-men last season, Tanev posted better #'s than all but 1. That's why he made the list.

#13 Gally

Gally

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,455 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:51 PM

awhhh, poor Tanman.

Pronman noted why he's there. I don't think people realize how incredibly amazing his underlying #'s are. I was looking at the rookie d-men usage charts, and only 1 rookie played tougher mins and posted better underlying #'s than Tanev - Scandella (who's 2 yrs older and has more experience). Out of 20+ rookie d-men last season, Tanev posted better #'s than all but 1. That's why he made the list.

I'm not doubting Tanevs ability but I'm just not sure he deserves to be on the list or not yet. I think there's some better options. I think Hodgson is a better player than Tanev for example.

1zcq151.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

my mom wouldn't let me touch the laptop because I have to stand after I eat....kinda stupid

#14 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,185 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:58 PM

I'm not doubting Tanevs ability but I'm just not sure he deserves to be on the list or not yet. I think there's some better options. I think Hodgson is a better player than Tanev for example.

Ya, it's such a subjective list. His opinion is ever-changing. I'm guessing he made it over others, such as Hodgy, cause it's rare for a rookie d-man to accomplish what Tanev did. To come in a play tough mins, and be extremely effective as a rookie d-man isn't common.

#15 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

Boneheaded list.

Note that I never heard of Corey Pronman till now...his credibility is LOW in my opinion.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#16 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,281 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:47 AM

As much as Hodgson handled his situation terribly, he should still be on the list. He's still a skilled young player brimming with potential.

Edited by ajhockey, 30 October 2012 - 12:47 AM.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#17 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,281 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:56 AM

Bogosian is far from proven, I think....but definitely deserves to be ranked ahead of guys like Faulk, and even O'Reilly.

That said, take this list with a grain of salt.

Perhaps Faulk, but I don't think he's ahead of O'Reilly. One thing that I've noticed from O'Reilly is his good defensive play. He was 1st in takeaways among forwards last year and also had a 52.8% face-off percentage.

Edited by ajhockey, 30 October 2012 - 12:56 AM.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#18 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,125 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:07 AM

Perhaps Faulk, but I don't think he's ahead of O'Reilly. One thing that I've noticed from O'Reilly is his good defensive play. He was 1st in takeaways among forwards last year and also had a 52.8% face-off percentage.

Had a better takeaway/giveaway ratio than Datsyuk. And we all know how everyone praises him for his two way game
Posted Image

#19 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,516 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

awhhh, poor Tanman.

Pronman did explain the list a little bit which helps validate why Tanev might be on there. His rankings have always been a bit different from more traditional lists, and they aren't weighted so much on potential but rather trying to look at actual performance - with performance in the NHL given a priority.

Tanev has been able to succeed at a young age due to his steady play and good possession numbers so that's something to take into consideration when comparing him to other the other D-men. His offensive numbers were a big drawback though, as he explained.

Boneheaded list.

Note that I never heard of Corey Pronman till now...his credibility is LOW in my opinion.

Just because you haven't heard of him doesn't mean he isn't knowledgeable. He covers a lot of junior prospects, particularly in the OHL, that others would have trouble doing like they do with the NHL since games are televised as much. He has his own opinions, but the list shouldn't be completely invalidated at a whim.

He explained a bit how he follows players pre-NHL more so he relied on some outside information to determine the rankings to a point. That might skew his results against someone who watches mostly the NHL - that and his non-traditional ranking system.

It's more of an interesting look, and a different one at that from our own team or NHL centered view.

#20 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,791 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:20 AM

This guy seems to put a premium on less "sexy" stats, such as positive possession, quality of linemates/opposition, offensive starts, etc.

Although Hodgson racked up quite a few points in his first year, which everyone noticed, he did quite poorly in most of these underlying areas. That is why AV and Gillis questioned his value (esp considered to what Hodgson & Son perceived it to be), and traded him. And that is why Pronman left him off the list too.

It's all subjective opinions though. Cody could easily end up twice the player as half of the guys on this list. However, it's worth noting how many people who are "in the know" are questioning him. That helps explain why the return for him wasn't as high as many hoped it would be.
Posted Image

#21 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:36 AM

Hqdgson&Son.. almost chocked on my coffee.

#22 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,516 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

It appears you at least spilled some on your keyboard, you might want to get that fixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.