The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL will Allow Teams Two Contract Buyouts for '13-'14. Who are yours?

TOMapleLaughs

I think the best thing to do would be to buy out Lu, so he can then chose for himself which team he wants to go to. For the remaining cap hit, it depends if Edler wants to stay if yes then we buy out Ballard if no then we trade Edler and buy out Raymond or Booth. (Which ever one makes more sense to management)

Assuming that Luongo is already Leaf bound, I would buy out Ballard and Malhotra.

They both take up like 6.7m of cap space but plays small roles on the team.

Raymond still is an NHL forward on some teams and has a manageable contract, he could be attractive to teams lacking forward depth. You cant trade Malhotra, no one would take him after the eye injury and seeing his play has decline ever since.

I dont think he will feel disrespected and he could get a job in the coaching staff or something since everyone loves him.

Then use that money to re-sign Edler and some depth players.

I highly doubt this will happen but if Kesler can't get back to even 80% I'm wondering if that may be a sad and unfortunate way use a buyout. Elder also has a bad back so he may not be resigned if it hinders his performance.

Man would either of those suck.

If buyouts for 2013 come into effect as outlined then trade values for players up until that time will also adjust accordingly. Its simple supply and demand. Every player in the league has trade value. It just depends on what the return is. If GM's know who the supposed buyout targets are for each team (and lets face it, they all know) then why would they offer more than a bare minimum to trade for a guy they can have a chance to sign to a more favorable deal after he is bought out?

The ONLY sticky point for this is the risk that other teams will be after the guy you want and you will either lose out on getting them as a UFA or their price will be driven up. But since most are considered overvalued contract wise anyway it is pretty low risk.

How this plays out will be interesting.

Wait.... what??

Buyouts in order to be cap compliant?

So the cap goes down and players salaries remain the same but in order to be cap compliant teams over the new cap must buy out players in order to meet the new cap? Doesn't that punish only teams that have spent up to the old cap?? I would assume that if a bought out player was picked up then his new salary would be deducted from the previous teams buyout so what's to stop a team from low balling the new player or will he just bolt to the KHL and get paid double???

Am I looking at this wrong?

Everything I have read states that the lower cap would not come into effect until next season (2013-14). Malhotra and Raymond will be already off the books by then.

Also, it stands to reason that a team that buys a player out will not be allowed to sign/acquire him again that year. That is how the other buyouts work.

As for Canuck buyouts - definitely Ballard, and maybe Booth.

The best thing that could happen to Roberto Luongo is an amnesty buy out. If the same metrics apply to amnesty buyout as it does to current terms (assuming it hasn't expired?), he would receive a buy out of $27.04 million, paid over 18 years (according to CapGeek.com) and he would be free to sign anywhere as a free agent.

Lets say he signs a 5 year deal with another team (say Florida) for $5.0 million per year (which would probably be reasonable), his gross pay would amount to $52 million, which is more than the $48 million he's still owed under the terms of his current contract. Add his NHL pension to this, and he's laughing all the way to the bank. It's no wonder he's been as cool and calculating about his situation with the Canucks...if bought out, he would most likely make more money and play where he wants.

On topic, I see the Canucks having the most to do in dealing with the possible new CBA of all teams...Malhotra, Raymond and Alberts will probably end up as unsigned UFAs, and as much as I hate to see this happen, if Luongo isn't bought out, next choices, in order would probably be Ballard and Booth. Maybe we'll learn to develop our own farm system, instead of looking to the Panthers organization for high priced talent (i.e., Luongo, Ballard, Booth, Higgins, Garrison).

Let's hope that Kassian, Jensen, Schroeder, Gaunce, Tanev, Connauton, Corrado, Lack and Cannata are ready to make the jump in the next 18 months. Otherwise, barring trades and FA signings, we're hooped.

Agreeing to have the buyout count again the players' share is ridiculous. Once again the owners dumping the blame for their collective stupidity onto the players. Which come to think of it, is the whole crux of this lockout.

one of our goalies will not be with us in the 2013/14 season so that is 4-6M right there if Eddy does not re-sign that is also a possible outcome.

Mayray might be heading out with either goalie,

thing is we should need to nor might not want to do any buyouts depending on how things play out this season with trades and injuries FA's etc.

I don't agree. Defenseman are always in high demand.

Low market teams that need to get to the salary floor, and have a hard time signing free agents will take a chance on Ballard, despite his average play.

How else do you think a player like James Wieniewski gets 7 million dollars a year? Ballard will seem like a steal compared to that.

Yes, good defensemen will be in high demand, especially if they can produce offense. Even average ones at decent prices will be coveted. But poor ones, that are overpaid, will not.

Wisniewski just came off a season in which he scored 10 goals and 53 points in 81 games. Since arriving in Vancouver, Ballard has had 15 points in 126 games. At that rate, Ballard will need 445 total games with us to reach what Wiz got in that one season.

Sure, Columbus had to pay a premium. And yeah, his first season was a disappointment. But he still got 27 points in 48 games (Ballard will need 227 games to get to 27).

And don't even try to claim that Ballard is defensively responsible. He has the worst giveaway-takeaway ratio on the team BY FAR, despite weaker QOC.

It wasn't immediately clear you meant only us, as evidenced by the first reply being Heatley. My point stands in that there it's pretty obvious there are 2-3 guys we'd buy out and that it's already been covered in the CBA thread (and the Luongo buyout thread - thanks, forgot about that one).

Archived