The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

They may not quite be ready, but you better believe that they're hungry. And if they're not getting starts, they'll be upset. I don't like that dynamic. I'd rather have the horse like Luongo/Schneider playing the vast, vast majority of games, with a clear backup filling in and just not being a liability. Dan Ellis expressed desire to come here, which would've been great. Count him as another cost of inaction.

Gillis did call McPhee after his appearance in Washington to talk about the stir it caused:

Seems pretty reasonable of Gillis to do that, should quell a lot of the rumours (and probably a lot of the expectations that a deal is going to be soon because of it).

This reminds me

Stop making little comments on everything you quote in the news thread.

I bet you're all, look at this sweet loophole!

If I post a tweet I'll comment on it like Mark Spector does in his website.

I don't care what you think of the tweet, post the tweet and get the hell out.

Invalid opinions belong in here.

The vacuum of information spawns empty postings, that is all. They just need more training so they can eventually get paid to do it. Newspapers turn vacuous subjects into quite interesting reads sometimes - it's called journalism.

There isn't much that changes in the world day to day, but sure a frack of a lot is written about it

This reminds me

This reminds me

Do you know what would be awesome? A CDC boxing match! Rent out Rogers arena one night in the off season and challenge other CDCers to a boxing match. Everyone can cheer on their favorite poster. And afterwards we can hold a candle light vigil for Cody Hodgson.

Do you know what would be awesome? A CDC boxing match! Rent out Rogers arena one night in the off season and challenge other CDCers to a boxing match. Everyone can cheer on their favorite poster. And afterwards we can hold a candle light vigil for Cody Hodgson.

I can confirm King's quote of George McFee. It was fairly easy to google the article. He did say that he couldn't take on Luongo's contract.

At first glance, one might say that he's just playing it close to the vest, but from what I read, he was pretty vehement. It would have been easy to say that he hasn't had any discussions with Gillis regarding his goaltender and leave it at that.

On the flip side, it begs the question: What were Gillis and Gilman doing at that game?

This Week In Goalie Controversies

Vancouver Canucks: Cory Schneider vs. Roberto Luongo

In this corner: Schneider was handed the starter’s job last season after the Canucks got tired of Roberto Luongo’s playoff inconsistency. Once Luongo was traded, Schneider was expected to have the job all to himself. Instead, he’s been splitting time with …

And in this corner: Roberto Luongo, who despite all expectations, is still on the team.

The battle so far: Schneider was awful in a season-opening loss to the Ducks, but has played well since. But it’s been Luongo who’s taken over recently, starting three straight games last week and sporting a 1.46 GAA and .944 save percentage. He looks like his old self.

And the winner is: This keeps getting called a “goaltending controversy,” but that seems like the wrong term. You could call it that if either guy was complaining about splitting time, but both are being frustratingly professional. That leaves the Canucks as a good team that has two good goaltenders, which isn’t really all that controversial. In fact, let’s take this in a different direction …

Twitter: Roberto Luongo vs. Paul Bissonnette

In this corner: Roberto “@strombone1” Luongo.

And in this corner: Paul “@BizNasty2point0” Bissonnette, who is technically not a goalie but let’s just go with this.

The battle so far: Which player will emerge as the NHL’s consensus best follow, earning the right to automatically get a brief mention in every lazy “pro athletes on Twitter” article?

And the winner is: It’s not even close. We all agree it’s Luongo by a mile at this point, right? OK, just wanted to make sure we were all on the same page on this one. Back to the goalies.

Or B Burke and (was it) MacTavish? No, it was Kevin Lowe...

I'd rather see Old News and King of ES personally... Cant wait to see the advanced stats and perception of diminished value (or is that capacity) before that one? :rolleyes:

My money's on King; if only cuz his name is better suited to fight nights!

Wonder if Gollumpus would be a sleeper with a big whump???

Back on topic; Does Eric Fehr, former 1st rounder, 212lb good ol Canadian kid from Winkler have any secondary interest for us in a transaction?

Haha! But that's a bit of an event for some people, some rugby teams put on an organized fight night each year for fun. Perhaps it'll get to the point Luongo and Schneider have to duke it out?

the-highlander-7.jpg

EDIT: or maybe not - from Kuzma:

Schneids not getting too caught up in it from the sounds of things.

I am not particularly worried about the optics of how this looks to fans or players. Just as Dave Nonis was credited with Lou coming to Van, Gillis's tenure might be judged onwhat he gets back for Lou going. I think the goalie situation is being handled the way it has to. The hot hand plays but I will caveat that by saying that Lou's timing has been great. CS took some hits with a club that wasn't up to speed and Lou got a shot that put him in for a stretch. Both these goalies are capable and CS will get back in. Meanwhile with each win Lou confirms his status and probably increases his own options on where he ends up (NTC). Good for him. IMHO Lou has to be dealt (next week) simply because Van's top 6 is not CUP quality. Also IMO Lou has not done anything that changes my assessment and the reasons for moving him. Gillis has the opportunity to move an asset that gives Van a shot at a CUP and also potentially gain younger assets that transition the Canucks past the eventual loss of the Twins, Bieksa, and Burrows. If feelings get hurt in the process it is unfortunate but the team comes first.

I don't understand what you mean by GM's flexing their muscles and using their power? Their role is what it always has been, give the coaches the best players available to win a CUP. At the end of the day GM's and coaches are all judged by how successfull they are achieving CUP wins.

I can confirm King's quote of George McFee. It was fairly easy to google the article. He did say that he couldn't take on Luongo's contract.

At first glance, one might say that he's just playing it close to the vest, but from what I read, he was pretty vehement. It would have been easy to say that he hasn't had any discussions with Gillis regarding his goaltender and leave it at that.

On the flip side, it begs the question: What were Gillis and Gilman doing at that game?

How about secondary transactions; Green who might be redundant with John Carlson about the joint?

Can't see a fit because of salary, but Backstrom is a dandy talent who is struggling more than Ovi... If they want out of one of their big contracts and to make room for MoJo? But they don't need what salary we need to shed...

Do they?

Go to the tsn site and watch canucks oilers ice chips. Man its getting harder to trade Luongo each day haha the most calm and cool Lu I've ever seen. The way he's handling the media and this whole situation has got to be boosting his value on character points alone. I still think he will be the one gone in the end and he will be missed for sure. Cory is going to be a rockstar though, and our goaltending wont skip a beat.

Kinda reminds me of when you got 2 girls on the go and the one is super cool but out of nowhere has these crazy meltdowns and the other is really hot but you dont know much about her... Do you drop the new hot one because you think the other girl has figured her s**t out? or do you say ive seen enough of this crazy woman and see what the young'ns got?

:blink::picard:

Says the poster who felt it necessary to put this in the news thread, complete with added lines for emphasis:

Or this one:

Clearly extremely relevant Luongo news.

So what did you think about Kuzma's post (or did you find Willes' post? I still haven't)? Was it a suggestion or a factual report that Gillis was actually planning to be there? I'd guess the poster I'd quoted thought it was real and it probably doesn't qualify as news as a result, but I didn't want people to get the wrong impression about it as i certainly read it another way as I mentioned to clarify.

Do you have an opinion on the discussion we've been having about Luongo for the last few pages while you've been away?

Archived