The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rep. Allen West says women should join NHL

dudeone

Maybe it's just a poor choice of words by you, but there are sports where men & women compete against each other. An example of this of the top of my head is Equestrian or Archery. It's pretty damn obvious why women don't compete in the sports with physical contact, being a hundred pounds lighter on average.. it's not simply because they're across the board 'not as good' there caveman.

I understand why female skaters can't compete against men, but what about goaltending?

Either than that PR stint by the TBL way back when, why can't women play goalie? A position focused on positioning, reaction and flexibility, you'd assume it would be a good fit (assuming the women is like 6'2")

I understand why female skaters can't compete against men, but what about goaltending?

Either than that PR stint by the TBL way back when, why can't women play goalie? A position focused on positioning, reaction and flexibility, you'd assume it would be a good fit (assuming the women is like 6'2")

If one was good enough im sure she would make it. Theres some pretty skilled chicks out there but im afraid they wouldnt last long physically. Is she going to be willing to take punches to the head and cross checks to the mouth every time she jams away at a loose puck in the crease? she would have to be a complete freak of nature beast to take the abuse a male hockey player takes.

they should allow women to get majorly roided out and join the ahl lol imagin playing on a line with a girl that looks like cristine cyborg santos haha

It is not a variance of skill but of size, too many rules that are staples of the NHL would have to change in order for this to happen.

I love the idea, my aunt is 5'2", 105lbs and avgs 5 hits a game in a woman's league in Peterborough, but it just isn't realistic.

It's not impossible for a female goalie to play in the NHL. Shannon Szabados of Team Canada plays for the NAIT Ooks men's hockey team. She also played a few games for the Tri City Americans of the WHL but was bumped when Carey Price came in.

I'm just saying, I don't think that's the goal. We don't want to bank on that one person making it. We want a place where every deserving player - forward, defense, or goalie - will have a place to play at a level that challenges them. The CWHL is a start and hopefully it'll continue to grow.

Szabados - NAIT

5x7ds6.jpg

295wn4g.jpg

8197785359_12a631428c.jpg

I just chatted with my mom and she agrees that women just flat out couldn't play in a men's league. They simply don't have the natural, God-given physical capabilities that men have. On top of that, it would create some major awkwardness in the league.

They could never play the same. Skill wise I bet there are some women who could play in the NBA/NHL, but physically it would not work whatsoever.

I play co-ed sports in the spring for fun, the most skilled women on our team match up with some of the lower end guys but once it comes to a sprint or physical contact its hard for them to match up with us.

Rep. Allan West is an idiot, and he's comparing apples and oranges.

the military and professional sports are completely different things. he's trying to argue that the fact that women can't compete with world class male athletes somehow demonstrates that they have no role in combat positions in the military. that's awful logic. instead of rhetoric, i would like to see him make an actual argument based on facts. for example: people in combat need to be able to lift x amount of weight because of [some reason], and no women can lift that much, therefore women should be banned.

no one is arguing that women can compete in the NHL or the NBA, although as I understand it, if a woman could compete she would not be discriminated against and legally precluded from joining (e.g., Rhéaume).

Archived