The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

That's the only way a team this talented would miss the playoffs.

And even then it would only be barely meaning the pick would have less than a 1% chance of winning. I'd put the Canuck's odds at winning the Cup this year far greater than that.

Why not make the playoffs and trade for a pick? I'd be happier making the playoffs every year and having a great drafting and developmental record.

But, as I said, that's just me. To each their own.

Midpoint of season have to say these teams HAVE to have some interest in Lou or they are just plain stupid. If you look at their relative positions, Goals Against its a no brainer.

1. Florida - A mess. Maybe they don't care but when your GA is the worst in the NHL and you have no fans coming to games, well you either just say pack it in (which may be what they've done) or you need to address it. Worst in the League with 93 GA

2. Tampa - clearly Yzerman was wrong with his bet on Nashville's backup as their GA isn't much better than Florida and perhaps its leverage/ego but with that team, not making the playoffs is unacceptable I would think. Too much talent to not be in the mix. (5th worst in the NHL 75 GA)

3. Islanders. Second worst GA in the league with 82 GA but still in the hunt for a playoff spot, they have alot to gain here by making a move. But would Lou waive?

4. Philly 4th worst GA in the NHL. Issue is bigger than goaltending, and they have a problem contract with Bryz, but he is clearly part of the issue. A trade of Lou/Ballard could really help that team, but then they have to eat Bryz contract on a buyout.

Regardless those 4 teams have major issues in net and need to address them if they want to be competitive.

Alright then.

It's obvious you don't know all that much about him other than what his corsi rating and zone starts blah blah balh are anyways.

Lol alright.

Antics.

I think you are up to your old antics thinking that possibly the best, most promising defenseman 20 or under in this league is coming our way for Luongo especially when the team has finical issues and likely wants nothing to do with the contract.

Nice to see you are looking at the other teams POV like always.

I'd be happier too if they make the playoffs. I just don't want Gillis to do another STUPID Pahlsson type of a deal giving up two 4th round picks for a guy who is useless.

With Kesler out until just around the playoff times, it won't be as easy to make the playoffs.

I'm just trying to look at the positives in all areas. I also don't care if we get the 1st overall pick. I'd love to have a top 5 pick and I'd be happy with that. This years draft is suppose to be very strong.

It is going to be a deep draft this year. I'm sure of that.

Aside from getting a top 5 pick, we are just as well to look for late 1sts and early 2nds this year. That's where the real hay will be made. Deep drafts don't just mean top of the charts, it means right through the 60th pick.

Unfortunately, our drafting record is abysmal after the 1st round.

No Jibberish;

Fixing misguided judgements. Johansson is definitely more offensively capable than Schroeder. One already has nearly a 50 point season under his belt and showed promise of a lot more. Maybe Schroeder is better defensively, but we're splitting hairs on a point going in a different direction. You want MoJo to be a 2 way forward. I'm saying we need a body who can make our wingers more dynamic offensively.

That makes him 2C while Kesler is out...

And a long term option offensively...

Kassian for a separate point also is a big lumbering, ok fast lumbering body that has not completely found a defensive game. See period one in Dallas a few weeks ago when he was benched. He's looking desperately for a puck possesion guy to play with, who rewards for, and lets him do simple things like go to the right place at the right time. For now, he's trying to make things happen and it does not work sometimes. He needs to keep his game simple!

A guy like MoJo would make him and Booth better!

What you're doing is talking jibberish.

I'm not writing off Johansson - I'm pointing out that he's not ready to step in as our 3C - Schroeder is a better option imo - he, like Kassian, are responsible two way youngsters who the Canucks can put confidently in the lineup.

Johansson has been out of Oates' lineup for a month, and his underlying numbers warranted it.

If folks want to argue that Johansson would be a good prospect to acquire great - but don't try to sell me the idea that's he's an upgrade at 3C -which we need in the present. Acquiring him would still necessitate another deal - and that's fine, but not where you guys are coming from.

It is going to be a deep draft this year. I'm sure of that.

Aside from getting a top 5 pick, we are just as well to look for late 1sts and early 2nds this year. That's where the real hay will be made. Deep drafts don't just mean top of the charts, it means right through the 60th pick.

Unfortunately, our drafting record is abysmal after the 1st round.

1. I agree, they absolutely should. But it seems they are going to go into sell mode here pretty quick. According to some prominent insiders. So maybe they won't be interested in making the move right now, although you have to think they still have some interest, and if they don't have alot now perhaps in the summer they will.

2. Yeah perhaps, I was of the mind that they would give Lindback a long look before looking elsewhere, and they have, it started off well but hasn't beem very good lately. I could see them having some interest, it just depends if they feel like they are in win now mode or if they are building to a greater opportunity, in many ways they are probably halfway in both boats. I think they should have interest, but at the same time, if they did I think there name would have surfaced in rumors. So at this point it is just our speculation. Hopefully they do though. Lindback won't carry them to a cup if thats what they want.

3. The issue with them is the contract, they aren't rich and they already have dipietro's massive contract, plus they aren't in win now mode, they are building to a better future really. Just kinda biding there time waiting for young talent. I can't really see them trading young assets when they are focused on the future, and most importantly I can't see them taking on the contract. I think there is reason to scratch the Isles off the list.

4. I think they could very well be in the running in the summer if Bryz costs them again, in which case there would be some interesting assets they have that could serve us well. But right now I don't think they would take on the contract with having Bryz. In the offseason they probably could be one of the top contenders though.

Archived