Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Tired of people defending of Cory.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
145 replies to this topic

#121 naslund.is.king

naslund.is.king

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:55 PM

Always thought we should stay with luongo and pray lack is are next guy. So lets get rid cory next year or if the right deal comes through the phone line now.

#122 RWMc1

RWMc1

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

You make a good point about Schneider being unproven and that a hot young goalie can cool down fast. Its true. But Luongo HAS been proven......to not have his mental game where it should be at crucial times in playoff games. Maybe he's learned since then and I'd live with him in goal if that was the only option, but I'd prefer to take the risk on Cory.

And its only human nature to be affected by having a veteran, who was supposed to be gone by now, looking over your shoulder and a coach waiting for the smallest mistake to put him back in.

But I wanted to also say that any good points you may make are muted somewhat by your hypocrisy. You say that those that support Schneider are "Schneider lovers"  but you blast those that say "Luongo lovers" and call out "rabid Schneider backers" just because we think "he is a better option than Luongo". How is that being rabid?

I actually think there are only a few immature posters that say they are "haters" of one of our goalies, or would call others that. What I do hate is all of this "If it was _______ in net you'd have all the _______ haters/lovers saying #@%@$!"

The rabid Cory fans I was refering to, are the ones who refuse to acknowledge any weaknesses whatsoever in his game. The ones who prefer to attack rather than address the issues. You still blame Luongo without admitting that the team played poorly in front of Luongo in most of his "meltdowns". That was my point; which has still been totally ignored by all the open-minded fans.You call me a hypocrite yet you still haven't acknowledged that Cory has been mostly average so far. I said it once and I guess I have to say it again; Cory has owned up to his play but many of his fans refuse to do the same. Instead they blame everyone but Schneider. No-one has answered the question. If Schneider is a better option than Luongo then shouldn't he be held to the same standards?

Vancouver Canucks Stanley Cup Champions 2015/16 So let it be written, So let it be done!

My Cup Runneth.  Get your crap together; go get it and bring it here!! Now!!!

Cupquester "Who is that horrible little twerp?"

#123 MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

The last few games Lu has played like the team in front of him, average at best. Monday's game vs the Wild was all sorts of bad Luck. The team just did not seem hungry.

Last night vs the blues was a better effort in the second, Cory's play in the first kept us breathing until the second when the team in front decided to play. Then some bad luck and no hunger again in the third and I was a bit scared, the team was going to melt town. But we held in there.

I do agree, if Cory is the one taking over and it does look that way, he does need to play better. Age to me does not matter and in a few years when the team gets older, it will not matter who is in the net. The window is getting smaller.
Posted Image
Sig pic by -Vintage Canuck- Thank You!!!!

Love the Canucks!

Keep Loungo in Vancouver :towel:
http://www.ipetition...o-in-vancouver/

#124 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

The rabid Cory fans I was refering to, are the ones who refuse to acknowledge any weaknesses whatsoever in his game. The ones who prefer to attack rather than address the issues. You still blame Luongo without admitting that the team played poorly in front of Luongo in most of his "meltdowns". That was my point; which has still been totally ignored by all the open-minded fans.You call me a hypocrite yet you still haven't acknowledged that Cory has been mostly average so far. I said it once and I guess I have to say it again; Cory has owned up to his play but many of his fans refuse to do the same. Instead they blame everyone but Schneider. No-one has answered the question. If Schneider is a better option than Luongo then shouldn't he be held to the same standards?

I'm an avid Cory fan, so, tell me, what are his weaknesses? You have the floor !

#125 lolwut?

lolwut?

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

I'm an avid Cory fan, so, tell me, what are his weaknesses? You have the floor !

I dont think schnieds has a lot of weaknesses for his age and level of experience, but I can think of a couple right off the bat..

For example, when he goes to play the puck at tines I get very nervous.. was the same for lu too, but its a weakness.. hes got some work to do with his puck control for sure.

#126 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

I dont think schnieds has a lot of weaknesses for his age and level of experience, but I can think of a couple right off the bat..

For example, when he goes to play the puck at tines I get very nervous.. was the same for lu too, but its a weakness.. hes got some work to do with his puck control for sure.

The only weakness I;ve see, regardless of age or experience is his stick handling. Nothing else is obvious which is the sign of a great goaltender.

#127 AllEyezOnMe

AllEyezOnMe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

Yes, I know what it means, clearly you don't know what the 5 in 5chneider means (here's a hint: Look at Cory's FIRST game as a starter). I also used that satirically, in an obviously failed attempt to show you how dumb you sound.

Your so-called ironic post does nothing but tell the rest of CDC that you're a blatant Luongo hater, as seen through your adamant refusal to accept any of his accomplishments (hating on his 10-11 playoff meltdowns is fine, but denying the massive role he played in getting to the finals is ridiculous).

How many times has Schneider won us a game this season so far, as a starter? Maybe 1, 2? Luongo has done it dozens of times, already doing so in the handful of games he's played this season. So far, so not good for CS35. He has not been playing anywhere close to what he should be as a starter. At this point giving up Luongo will put us in a bad situation unless Schneider actually plays like he should, instead of just talking about it.

LUONGO is washed up "Schneider should play better rather then just talking about it" lol well luongo should take a paycut rather then saying he wants what's "best for the team" luongo gets paid too much to have 3rd period melt downs for the past i dont know how many games. He is known as luon8go around the league for a reason, Im just statung the obvious facts that hes had his seasons with the canucks and now its time for Cory to take over he proved it last game and he will stay consistent I guarantee you that.

#128 RWMc1

RWMc1

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

This year Cory has been taking too long deciding whether too be big in the net or to go down and react to the shot. As a result, he was getting caught between. If you can objectively look at his miscues, you will see what I mean. A lot of his bad goals were goals that went "through him". This was due to Cory second-guessing himself. Hopefully he has addressed the issue.

I don't attribute mental or emotional weaknesses to him as his avid fans do. Saying that he needs to be labelled #1 or get the lions share of starts or he will somehow self-destruct is doing just that. I am a fan; I'm just not a blindly avid fan.

Vancouver Canucks Stanley Cup Champions 2015/16 So let it be written, So let it be done!

My Cup Runneth.  Get your crap together; go get it and bring it here!! Now!!!

Cupquester "Who is that horrible little twerp?"

#129 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:00 AM

This year Cory has been taking too long deciding whether too be big in the net or to go down and react to the shot. As a result, he was getting caught between. If you can objectively look at his miscues, you will see what I mean. A lot of his bad goals were goals that went "through him". This was due to Cory second-guessing himself. Hopefully he has addressed the issue.

I don't attribute mental or emotional weaknesses to him as his avid fans do. Saying that he needs to be labelled #1 or get the lions share of starts or he will somehow self-destruct is doing just that. I am a fan; I'm just not a blindly avid fan.

I can see your point. The last 2 games., especially the one in Phoenix(I was there) he was very good and definitely not indecisive at all. I agree , the Canucks need to pick a goalie, give him the reins and build confidence and continuity.

#130 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:06 AM

SAMPLE SIZE SAMPLE SIZE SAMPLE SIZE

Luongo: Minus his worst game this year: Goes from .904-.919 goaltending
Schneider: Minus his worst game this year: Goes from .917 to .925 goaltending

#131 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:22 AM

I will start this off by saying Cory will be a star, I hope. With that said, why if he is the next second coming, is he playing below-average to average for almost every game he has played? The man said it himself that he needs to play better but yet lets in another silly 3 period goal when there was still time to tie it up?

Also, I find it funny that everyone is blaming the D and saying how we are not scoring. To be elite, you need to steal some games when the guys in front of you are not playing well.

I say he needs to be better, he says he needs to be better. Is the pressure to much for him now?

Before I get flamed, I am a Lu supporter and don't want to see him go. However, I know he is likely going soon and Cory is to be the Number one guy here. If that is going to happen then for crying out loud, I want to see way better play from him to ease the loss of Lu.

Is that too much to ask?

Cory is one reason they winning now

#132 canucksfan555

canucksfan555

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:20 AM

Im guessing Cory learned his slow starts from his buddy Lu! Haha in all seriousness.. Gillis needs to swallow his pride and do something with one of these goalies, our offense is pathetic!

#133 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,351 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:59 AM

Schneider stole us the last couple of wins which this team desperately needed so right now both goalies have pretty much identical stats. Before this little stretch Luongo was undoubtedly playing better but right now they're exactly the same.

This is why we need both goalies. The Canucks are benefiting from a tandem that plays well at separate times. To start the season, Schneider was brutal and Luongo was fantastic, now the roles have reversed. Regardless the Canucks are winning games. If we only had one of those goalies at either point in the season we would not be a playoff team.
Posted Image

#134 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,670 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:55 AM

Lu's last four games or so were brut.....they've both been average this year....I think anyone using words like fantastic to describe either goalie is delusional....looking at you DUC....

Seeing the last two games for Schneids in which he was great, he's become the least average but most likely he gets Saturday and then it's back to Lu, who has my support as well.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#135 GoodVibrations

GoodVibrations

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:42 AM

Anyone have any ideas why Cory has faced 85 more shots than Lu with only 39 minutes more played? It's only 5 shots a game difference but it seems a bit strange to me.

#136 Luongo

Luongo

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:56 AM

Anyone have any ideas why Cory has faced 85 more shots than Lu with only 39 minutes more played? It's only 5 shots a game difference but it seems a bit strange to me.

Well, Luongo has only had two games where he's faced 30 or more shots, whereas Schneider has had 9 games. Aside from a good early stretch, Luongo hasn't been great this season. I feel that Schneider has provided us with more consistency and quality, and going just by the stats, Schneider has outplayed Luongo.

Luongo is just a crutch right now. I don't feel we need one.

#137 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:12 AM

It's nice to see a goalie not need defending for a stretch. Hope Schneids can keep it going. This is his first series of games where I've felt he's really shown up as the same guy we watched play last season. We need him to be better than he was last season if he's going to be the starter but we've seen that the last 2 games...which gives me a little hope because I honestly thought there was a chance he just wasn't ready or capable for the role just yet. Hate to see him "Theodore".
Posted Image
Posted Image

#138 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:41 AM

It's nice to see a goalie not need defending for a stretch. Hope Schneids can keep it going. This is his first series of games where I've felt he's really shown up as the same guy we watched play last season. We need him to be better than he was last season if he's going to be the starter but we've seen that the last 2 games...which gives me a little hope because I honestly thought there was a chance he just wasn't ready or capable for the role just yet. Hate to see him "Theodore".

Better than a 1.96 GAA and .937 Sv%?
That seems pretty solid to me and I personally would happily accept that this season.

#139 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:46 AM

The entire team is struggling from the goaltender up to the coaching staff. Cory hasn't been good enough, but the defense hasn't helped him, and the offense hasn't helped outscore his mistakes.

Hmm, sounds like the reason why some want to trade Luongo. Makes sense.

#140 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

Schneider stole us the last couple of wins which this team desperately needed so right now both goalies have pretty much identical stats. Before this little stretch Luongo was undoubtedly playing better but right now they're exactly the same.

This is why we need both goalies. The Canucks are benefiting from a tandem that plays well at separate times. To start the season, Schneider was brutal and Luongo was fantastic, now the roles have reversed. Regardless the Canucks are winning games. If we only had one of those goalies at either point in the season we would not be a playoff team.

Your man crush on Luongo is hilarious! Keep it going...

#141 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:44 AM

The team seems to open up more with schneider in net. Last season it was only about 1.5 shots more per game, but this year its triple that. I think its a reflection of the teams higher confidence level with Schneider.Since his first game, Schneider is top 10 in SP.

#142 maddox

maddox

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

schneider will have better stats at the end of the season than luongo. including playoffs. hands down guaranteed. quote it.

#143 Luongo

Luongo

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

The team seems to open up more with schneider in net. Last season it was only about 1.5 shots more per game, but this year its triple that. I think its a reflection of the teams higher confidence level with Schneider.Since his first game, Schneider is top 10 in SP.

I think there's something to that. Schneider was a top 3 goaltender in save percentage on shots faced 15 feet in, and was top 5 (4th I believe) on shots 15-35 feet out last year. Luongo was not placed in the first category, and was 9th in the 2nd.

I hope that Schneider can continue his strong play of late, but honestly I have no fear that Schneider becomes a Raycroft or a Theodore. The worst case scenario I see would be that he tops out as an above-average starter rather than a star goaltender.

#144 GoodVibrations

GoodVibrations

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

It's so much better to let his stellar play and superior stats defend Cory. Ride the Schneid :towel:

#145 Nino

Nino

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

I think there's something to that. Schneider was a top 3 goaltender in save percentage on shots faced 15 feet in, and was top 5 (4th I believe) on shots 15-35 feet out last year. Luongo was not placed in the first category, and was 9th in the 2nd.

I hope that Schneider can continue his strong play of late, but honestly I have no fear that Schneider becomes a Raycroft or a Theodore. The worst case scenario I see would be that he tops out as an above-average starter rather than a star goaltender.

Or that he becomes a luongo, plays well in the regular season and folds in the playoffs?

#146 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,755 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:27 AM

Schneider. Do we really need him?

Clearly the answer is yes.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.