The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver vs Columbus

The Magician

Ok so I'm a bit bored. And was watching highlights of the game and I noticed that during the shootout, Laurence Gilman (as in our Assistant GM) was on the bench watching. I'm pretty sure that's him because, as you can see in the pic below, I've accounted for all other suits i.e Alain Vigneault, Rick Bowness, and Newell Brown, on the bench.

I don't recall Gilman ever being on the bench during a shootout before. Perhaps speaks to the importance of us winning this one.

Enjoy my expertly designed graphic:

2vskvp3.jpg

Ok so I'm a bit bored. And was watching highlights of the game and I noticed that during the shootout, Laurence Gilman (as in our Assistant GM) was on the bench watching. I'm pretty sure that's him because, as you can see in the pic below, I've accounted for all other suits i.e Alain Vigneault, Rick Bowness, and Newell Brown, on the bench.

I don't recall Gilman ever being on the bench during a shootout before. Perhaps speaks to the importance of us winning this one.

Enjoy my expertly designed graphic:

2vskvp3.jpg

Luongo played very well and was surprisingly good in the shootout. However, this was only a 2-1 shootout win against Columbus. Personally I think this team is still a long way from being out of the woods and playing the way we're used to seeing from seasons past.

My post was on the third page, an I didn't say anything about either goalie, let alone Schneider, just that it's funny that trolls don't even come out if the goalie they don't like plays well. And none of them did, so it's hard to play with a fire that's not there. Although, considering how you've been saying I'm starting stuff, I guess not all of the sensitive Schneider fans stop posting. They just try to start random arguments from nothing.

Alright say what you like.

Just because I defend Schneider against Lu fan boys, and don't act like Luongo's meltdowns have never happened make me a hater?

I have defended Luongo in the past aswell, I defend both and like both, that being said I think Cory is the best choice moving forward for both sides.

Just ask Riveria, I've gotten into a few debates with him in the past on Luongo before, me defending Lu.

Things I observed after tonight's game:

Luongo is the better goalie, and until the Canucks deal with their defense issues, he will steal more games for them. Schneider didn't expect the defense would take a turd every night in front of him.

Will Schneider still be here by trade deadline? I don't know who is gone at this point.

Raymond is playing twice his size and is making a case for playing with Kesler on the second line. His shootout win, which was legal due to the fact that his turn was part of a continuous motion, was brilliant.

Booth played leagues better than the last game. His hit on Calvert shifted the momentum, not to mention Calvert himself.

Henrik is continuing to stick up for himself and looks perfectly comfortable doing so. They played against Bobrovsky who was lights out excellent, just not as good as Luongo.

Garrison is slowly separating himself from the rest of the defense right now. He is an excellent stay at home defenseman with a frightening shot. Even during the replay I had trouble spotting the puck. No one on Columbus looked to eager to block it. He plays well positionally likes hitting.

Burrows needs to slow down around his own zone.

Bieksa is missed as are Kesler and Malholtra.

Edler was on the ice for the sole Columbus goal watching the puck. Edler to Winnipeg for Evander Kane. No? Maybe?

That was the best game I have seen out of the Canucks in a while. They looked hungry and driven. Bobrovsky was amazing tonight. And the team are surging, so I think this was a huge character building win for them. They fought the whole game and stayed focused.

The Canucks have been spoiled by a ridiculously weak conference for the past four years that they gorged upon. It made them lazy and complacent within two months of the playoffs. They would go into the playoffs not having been tested like other teams and they would be overwhelmed by the other teams compete level.

Hopefully this signifies that they are coming around. This team on paper looks very dangerous especially with Bieksa and Kesler back in the line up. It's up to them to make everyone believe it. I don't believe this season is over at all. This team is far too good to roll over. Should a couple of trades be made? Yes. If those trades work though......

Totally. I would clarify on a couple of points though.

1) Talent, yes. I think that should be our #1 objective. Find and get the most talented player we can afford.

2) Cohesion is a factor of coaching and style. I see a big problem with the results of the coaching staff and their ability to get the most out of their players with the system they employ.

3) If we can't be dominant in the face-off circle, we need to change our style of play. Our mentality.

Like I said they tried to trade him and he is still here and they are not going to buy him out. And if Luongo wanted out so bad, he would have made it known. By his play and his celebration after tonight and many other wins this season, looks like he is very happy to play for this team and wants to win for the team.

Luongo is our guy.

Agreed.

On point 3, I believe this is why our team looks so disjointed lately. They are really struggling with their identity. They're not big enought to play the boards all the time or to push teams around, they're not fast enough or skilled enought to run-and-gun and they're not strong enough defensively to play like Nashville.

I'm a believer that it may take a new philosophy and voice to gather the flock together and get them a new identity. One they can all buy into and flourish under.

Luongo played very well and was surprisingly good in the shootout. However, this was only a 2-1 shootout win against Columbus. Personally I think this team is still a long way from being out of the woods and playing the way we're used to seeing from seasons past.

It was Patrick Kane. The thing is that in a shootout the puck was still in motion and there is a short countdown before they whistle it dead. Since it was stopped by Schneider and then hit his glove and went in, it is viewed as the same as a shot hitting the post and then going in off the goalie.

You're right it was Kane....makes it even worse :mad:

There isn't a whistle on the shootout to indicate the play is dead, the ref either points at the net or swings his arms out.

You contradict yourself. You say it was "stopped by Schneider" how could it then "hit his glove" and go in? Either it was stopped or it wasn't. And if you look at a replay it was stopped. To me it looked like Schneider, after stopping the puck, was off balance and put his glove down on the ice for support not knowing exactly where the puck was. He then hit the stationary puck back into the net when his glove made contact with the puck. Once again the rules state:

The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent’s goal line and once it is shot, the play shall be considered complete. No goal can be scored on a rebound of any kind (an exception being the puck off the goal post or crossbar, then the goalkeeper and then directly into the goal), and any time the puck crosses the goal line or comes to a complete stop, the shot shall be considered complete.

So the only allowance for a rebound is if it goes off the post or crossbar and THEN the goalkeeper and into the net. That did not happen. Also the puck came to a complete stop. It was Cory's attempt to balance himself after that caused the puck to move again back into the goal.

Screwed once again by the refs.

Canucks looked awesome for the 1st 2 periods. I loved the aggressiveness on the forecheck and the d making good decisions on the pinch. Columbus did not have any room on the ice. If they played 60 minutes like that, I would have still been ok if they lost because they dominated.

I'm not sure if they were tired in the 3rd but their play started slowing down and less aggressive. Was that strategy or fatigue?

Archived