Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

[PGT] Wild 3 @ Canucks 1

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
277 replies to this topic

#271 PLOGUE

PLOGUE

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

Zero heart shown again. Goaltender didn't steal this one so we lose. Frustrated that Henrik is happy with the effort and that he believes they played a full 60. AV the same, saying great effort when there clearly was a let down isn't good.

This team needs an injection of heart and soul. Get Morrow. He is a true grit, blood, sweat and tears kind of player that might be able to remind these zombies why they play. Sickening effort out there.
QUOTE (ephysdad @ Oct 26 2008, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or then of course there's always the Ferry

Also,
I'm putting together a list of the criteria to be a "real" Canuck's fan. So far I have this:

1. I cheer for the Canucks, whatever happens.
2. I never say anything bad about the Canucks.
3. I know the difference between "real" fans and posers just by how they post on the CDC or where they sit at GM Place.
4. I wouldn't dream of leaving a game before it ended, even if it meant missing a train, ferry or a threesome with the wife and her hot best friend?
5. I make 10+ posts a day and I have over 10,000 posts on the CDC, so my Canuck "street-cred" is huge. Go away noob!
6. No one F's with me. I train in MMA. I'm really tough. I'll curb stomp yo' donkey.
7. I make a tonne of $$$$.
8. I'm witty.
9. If it meant missing a game, I wouldn't study for a midterm.
10. I roll with a guy who has a wicked car.
11. I like to post "source?" a lot.

#272 Ride the red Pony

Ride the red Pony

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

yeah we want the fancy sht way too often off a drop pass or cross ice behind the back feed off a no look tip pass...our big guys all want to be sedin's when the real payoff is fighting into and staying in and paying the price in... the prime real estate in the front of the net.not skating passed it.

This bothers me as well, you see our third and fourth lines in the corners trying to cycle the puck like Henrik and Danny boy.
Who is coaching this? Your absolutely right, we haven't been willing to "pay the price" for years now.
MG can add all the big, tough, grinding players he wants, but if they are out there trying to emulate the Sedins, his transactions have been rendered useless.

#273 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

Wrong guy to get mad at ... Gillis is the one you should direct your 'villification' ... he's the idiot who gave him the 12 year contract and a NTC. Luongo has every right to waive any trade ... that's what a NTC means.

Your'e right about Gillis, no argument there. Luongo did however say he would waive his NTC if Gillis asked him to, if Gillis somehow does manage to find a trading partner and Luongo says no, I think fans will have every right to get mad at him based on what he said to the media after last year's playoffs.

#274 tvars

tvars

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

I miss Trevor Linden and the heart he showed in 1994. That's what this team needs.

Hell we should sign Linden so he can teach the Canucks how to play with heart.

#275 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,080 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

- We played about 50 mins, and we're forechecking again!

- God I love Higgins. That grinding along he board around the 14:00 mark of the 2nd, BEAUTY

- Puck luck will come, but we really can't buy a goal right now can we?

- Ballard was kinda looking good out there. A nice rush up to force an offensive zone faceoff, never saw Alberts do that. But that 3rd goal was pretty brutal.

- Bieksa's trying to find his game. He got lucky on a couple non-calls (highstick in the 1st, knee in the 2nd), and that gaffe in the first was pretty bad.

- Hank finished a hit on the forecheck and then stood up for Lu there in the 2nd. Kickass.

- Pinner is looking GREAT. I really noticed his back-checking, someone wants to stay up in the big leagues!

I agree with every single thing here....well said. :)

2421657-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

You can be livin the dream at home. Dont even need to put yer pants on.

-Offensive Threat

#276 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

Wow calm down people.

In all fairness to MG and AV this team has not been healthy all season and the team hasn't been able to generate any chemistry because of it which is critical if you wan't to have a consistent winning team.

Wake up people its impossible to win on a nightly basis with a lineup like this! The teams are fighting every game tooth and nail theres a lot of parity in the league. There are just no easy nights when you have a decimated lineup like this.

All the other teams playing well for the most part have had line combinations together most of the year so far.

The Canucks haven't had it easy at all having a band aid group of AHL players always coming and going out of the lineup with no chemistry whatsoever.

Having said this the team has played well and deserved a better fate many nights and we are going to have some luck go our way its just the way it goes sometimes.

I would love to see MG pull off an awesome trade to help but unfortunately we don't have much for prospects to be trading them and it's not easy to find teams to take Luongo so the odds of that happening don't seem great.

All in all i still think we will still win the division and MG will be able to get somebody at some point and with a healthy team with good goaltending going into the playoffs will have just as good of a chance as anyone.

Take it easy people its not as bad you drama queens are making it.

I think you touched on something but its a bigger problem than you realize, and thats chemistry . We look good on paper but a number of players have not jelled with others and our team chemistry is lacking. Samuelson, Hodgeson Torres, Salo, Erhof gone and replaced by people who have had trouble adapting, Booth, Ballard, Kassian, .We are not the TEAM we were. We have trouble scoring, give up too many great scoring opportunities defensively, block too few shots and are not mean enough. Teams coming into our barn need to know they are going to get bodied and beat up.They gotta know they are going to pay a high price.....and it ain't happenin'. I think we do offer entertainment value but don;t believe its a recipe for great hockey success. The league and game has changed and we are not adapting. If we blocked as many shots as other teams, neither Lou or Schneids would be sporting the higher stats that they are.

#277 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,537 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

I was at the game, so here goes my summary:

There is something incredibly breathtaking about getting your first view of the ice and the jumbotron. Pretty bit "holy cow" moment

Concourse looks great as always with all their features

The new in-house intro isn't as good as the old one. Also really miss the old U2 entrance music. That one used to get me so pumped. The lights show is cool though. And the drop down banners with the player headshots are sweet. They picked good shots lol

We were supposed to be seated right near the Southsiders who were invited back to take in the game yesterday. Hearing the stories of what happened the last time, I asked the host guy if he could move us to a different section. I took my dad to the game and didn't think he'd appreciate the soccer crowd. The host was awesome and moved us to a better section that was away from the noise. Props to him for his hospitality. Also props to the Southsiders...they weren't disruptive or noisy. At least not from where we were. Just got a few chants going and that was all.

So, the game:

Listen, the shot clock may have given us a 21-9 advantage at one point...but how many of those 21 shots were quality? They were all perimeter chances.

The Sedin cycle doesn't work anymore. They were rubbed out along the boards every singe time they tried anything.

We lost almost 70% of draws, hence we spent most of our time trying to gain possession back. Someone in the crowd even yelled "BRING BACK MANNY!!! AT LEAST HE CAN WIN FACEOFFS"

Higgins, Raymond, Schroeder, Lapierre, etc were totally silent. Without Kesler and Booth, they need to be more noticeable than that.

Hansen is a beast. Makes stuff happen on every shift.

Tanev is a phenomenal skater and so cool under pressure.

Ballard, on the other hand, was brutal. Made overly aggressive plays all night long

Canucks are always thinking offense, even in the D zone. Instead of clearing the puck out of danger, they try and make the perfect pass. And that's why we were getting hemmed in so much.

Luongo - made some good saves but his rebound control is very iffy. And I know the 3rd goal was a partial breakaway and a terrible play by the D's but the shot was right along the ice. If Luongo just kept in the butterfly and closed the wickets, that would have been a big save.

Real tough effort. The team has no speed and no magic. I've been to at least one game per season for the past 3-4 seasons and yesterday's was the most boring one I've ever sat through. The team is just going through the motions of playing out the season. There's no pursuit of excellence anymore.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#278 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,621 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

I was at the game, so here goes my summary:

There is something incredibly breathtaking about getting your first view of the ice and the jumbotron. Pretty bit "holy cow" moment

Concourse looks great as always with all their features

The new in-house intro isn't as good as the old one. Also really miss the old U2 entrance music. That one used to get me so pumped. The lights show is cool though. And the drop down banners with the player headshots are sweet. They picked good shots lol

We were supposed to be seated right near the Southsiders who were invited back to take in the game yesterday. Hearing the stories of what happened the last time, I asked the host guy if he could move us to a different section. I took my dad to the game and didn't think he'd appreciate the soccer crowd. The host was awesome and moved us to a better section that was away from the noise. Props to him for his hospitality. Also props to the Southsiders...they weren't disruptive or noisy. At least not from where we were. Just got a few chants going and that was all.

So, the game:

Listen, the shot clock may have given us a 21-9 advantage at one point...but how many of those 21 shots were quality? They were all perimeter chances.

The Sedin cycle doesn't work anymore. They were rubbed out along the boards every singe time they tried anything.

We lost almost 70% of draws, hence we spent most of our time trying to gain possession back. Someone in the crowd even yelled "BRING BACK MANNY!!! AT LEAST HE CAN WIN FACEOFFS"

Higgins, Raymond, Schroeder, Lapierre, etc were totally silent. Without Kesler and Booth, they need to be more noticeable than that.

Hansen is a beast. Makes stuff happen on every shift.

Tanev is a phenomenal skater and so cool under pressure.

Ballard, on the other hand, was brutal. Made overly aggressive plays all night long

Canucks are always thinking offense, even in the D zone. Instead of clearing the puck out of danger, they try and make the perfect pass. And that's why we were getting hemmed in so much.

Luongo - made some good saves but his rebound control is very iffy. And I know the 3rd goal was a partial breakaway and a terrible play by the D's but the shot was right along the ice. If Luongo just kept in the butterfly and closed the wickets, that would have been a big save.

Real tough effort. The team has no speed and no magic. I've been to at least one game per season for the past 3-4 seasons and yesterday's was the most boring one I've ever sat through. The team is just going through the motions of playing out the season. There's no pursuit of excellence anymore.

Thanks for this. Pretty much reflects what I saw on TV as well.

The scary thing is when AV and Hank say they played a good game. I really think they've forgotten what a good game is.

Problem is, they're not big and mean so they ca'nt really play like Boston. Theylre not fast (especially our top line) so they can't run and gun. Theylre not talented and big enough to have 4 lines that can cycle and dominate the boards. They don't have any real net crashers (Franzen types) so they play on the perimeter. They aren't good enough defensively and in the neutral zone to play a shut down game like Nashville.

So....what is their identity?

RIght now they are a mixtire of old and new and being asked to do what worked in tehpast but is no longer effective. I think this is why we see a very disjointed and lackluster performance so frequently. The players look like they no longer belive in what they are being asked to do. AV benching and making "instinct" personnel decisions only amplifies their frustration.

They look like a whipped group that has not direction and no confidence.

THey look like theyr're just playing out the year hoping for big changes and someone to come along and carry them.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.