168 replies to this topic

#91 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,452 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

I understand what Franson brings, thats why I said I doubt the Leafs move him.

I just don't think he is a need, yeah I agree he is an upgrade on Ballard due to cap reasons for next year, but thats next year, right now we don't need another Dman. Now that Garrison has slid over to the right side to play with Hammer, I don't see adding a right side guy as a need, and I think it is a great thing Garrison works there, cause thats an exceptional shutdown pair IMO. And it leaves Bieksa and Tanev as the other 2 right side guys.

Bozak's rental value is different in a trade when u are using him to trade up for an asset of greater value. Since we are getting him as part of a package, not as a rental, Toronto wouldn't ship him off as a rental either way. And we can add a conditional pick if he doesn't re-sign. So there, no loss of an asset. And it is a major upgrade right now on our cup chances, and saves us cap space & a big contract moving forward, which is somewhat of an asset in itself.

And we don't really know what is on the table. There is probably a good opportunity that Bozak comes here and re-signs at a decent price. Goc on the other hand would probably cost atleast a 2nd. Maybe more if there is interest. And I think Bozak is the better player and better fit of the two. There are ways to get around that lost asset thing, and its not a sure thing we will lose an asset, plus there will be added value in a future or 2, and losing Lu's contract. There is really alot of upside in it.

I'm not sure we're actually disagreeing here. If you're proposing Bozak as a third of a deal, I don't have a problem with that.
I also don't care if the Leafs wouldn't want to move Franson - they're not getting Luongo for a UFA and a spare part.
Imo the best option would be for the Leafs/Canucks to negotiate with Bozak's agent and work out terms of a sign and trade.
If that were the case and he agreed to a sensible cap hit, I probably wouldn't argue with a Bozak and a pick/prospect, but as it stands, I'd expect another roster RFA, and a backup at the very least.

Regarding Garrison, I agree that he's a solid right side guy - I've been wondering out loud in the overexposed thread all season long why he wasn't used that way, but I suppose it may have had something to do with getting him accustomed to playing here on his strong side before shifting him to the RS.
Anyhow, that does open up options, which is part of the reason I thought he was such a great acquisition in the first place. What I'm not a big fan of is the possibility of Alberts being the 6th man and relying on Barker if anyone is out of the lineup, as has been taking place recently, particularly as the postseason approaches. I think adding a guy like Franson right now makes a whole lot of sense.

Edited by oldnews, 28 March 2013 - 11:07 PM.

#92 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:02 PM

POPULAR

Please NO Bozak...............soft career 3rd line centre. He should just stay with the Leafs 4ever.

I almost wrote a serious reply, and then I saw it was you. Sorry that Bozak isn't 6'8" 700 pounds :(

FWYIerW.png

#93 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,656 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

Luongo
Ballard
Raymond

for

Kulemin
Bozak
Gardiner
Reimer
2nd round pick

#94 naslund.is.king

naslund.is.king

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:21 PM

I really am crossing my fingers on floridas owner having luongo in his plans for next years season ticket campaign.

#95 PLOGUE

PLOGUE

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:27 PM

So SO happy none of you are the Canucks GM. Loving the under valuing of a top starting goalie though. It's amazing that to many of you a proven goalie is worth less than a forward who until this year was the butt of jokes.

Stay the course Gillis. A proven commodity that is under control for years at a reasonable cap hit, term that is long but if the guy retires early his new team has zero risk, is worth way more than what a rental Iggy brought the flames.

bozak, franson, pick for lu.

Then go for Ribeiro

But back to the article, Cox is quite correct. Lu is not the only option. Gillis has to make it appealing for the Leafs to trade for him.

Luongo
late-round pick

for

Reimer (we need a backup goalie)
Bozak
mid-round pick

At this point I'm happy with that.

Kadri is still out there, don't be surprised to see

Lou+Raymond/Higgins/Ballard+prospect

For

Kadri+Gardner+high pick 2013

Lou is a game changer, top 5 in the league and will demand a high return by trade deadline.

Bozak and a 1st and I'd pull the trigger.. Keep your prospects give me a 3rd liner and a first round pick and you can have an all star goalie and a 3rd.

Lu + Raymond + Connauton + 3rd

for

Lupul + Gardiner + Reimer

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Lupul-Kesler-Kassian
Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen
Pinizzotto-Lapierre-Weise

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Gardiner-Garrison

Schneider
Reimer

QUOTE (ephysdad @ Oct 26 2008, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or then of course there's always the Ferry

Also,
I'm putting together a list of the criteria to be a "real" Canuck's fan. So far I have this:

1. I cheer for the Canucks, whatever happens.
2. I never say anything bad about the Canucks.
3. I know the difference between "real" fans and posers just by how they post on the CDC or where they sit at GM Place.
4. I wouldn't dream of leaving a game before it ended, even if it meant missing a train, ferry or a threesome with the wife and her hot best friend?
5. I make 10+ posts a day and I have over 10,000 posts on the CDC, so my Canuck "street-cred" is huge. Go away noob!
6. No one F's with me. I train in MMA. I'm really tough. I'll curb stomp yo' donkey.
7. I make a tonne of $$$$.
8. I'm witty.
9. If it meant missing a game, I wouldn't study for a midterm.
10. I roll with a guy who has a wicked car.
11. I like to post "source?" a lot.

#96 RobberLuongo

RobberLuongo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:34 PM

Guys, Bozak is ultimately a RENTAL player
"The more saves you make, the more they rally around you. And you do whatever it takes to keep them believing. That's what a city can do for a goalie, and a goalie can do for a city"

#1 Roberto Luongo

#97 naslund.is.king

naslund.is.king

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:40 PM

Guys, Bozak is ultimately a RENTAL player

yea for centers in TOronto you have a contract in grabo we likely do not want . he's one of if not their best defensive forward but.. And a player in Bozak who will likely try to hit his best contract on market

Edited by naslund.is.king, 28 March 2013 - 11:42 PM.

#98 CatsPajamas

CatsPajamas

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

Toronto is obviously making a push if they trade for Lu, so avoiding the loss of roster players is probably one of their priorities. Shore up some future assets for Lu and then turn around and move them for roster players. Besides Toronto doesn't have the most attractive pieces that Canucks need now anyways.

Posted Image

#99 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,656 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:49 PM

Toronto is obviously making a push if they trade for Lu, so avoiding the loss of roster players is probably one of their priorities. Shore up some future assets for Lu and then turn around and move them for roster players. Besides Toronto doesn't have the most attractive pieces that Canucks need now anyways.

There might be a 3rd team involved.

#100 Dirtface

Dirtface

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:50 PM

Luongo
4th 2013

For
Connely
Franson
Schivrens
2nd 2013
5th 2014

Gives both teams assets and exchanges some bad contracts

#101 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:51 PM

Actually MG accepted but Luongo wouldn't waive
Good try though. Good job, good effort.

And you know this how?

Sources?

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#102 naslund.is.king

naslund.is.king

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:52 PM

There might be a 3rd team involved.

continue...

#103 naslund.is.king

naslund.is.king

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:54 PM

And you know this how?

Sources?

cant believe i missed that load of BS that would have been huge news all across canada

#104 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:59 PM

Luongo
4th 2013

For
Connely
Franson
Schivrens
2nd 2013
5th 2014

Gives both teams assets and exchanges some bad contracts

So basically Franson and a 2nd for Lu. MG should be fired if he makes a trade that bad.

#105 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,651 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

I can't believe people, or Gillis for that matter, are still contemplating Bozak. His underlying defensive #'s are crap, beyond crap. The stats nerds have outlined this so many times. He's a negative possession guy playing next to Kessel and/or Lupul. His 'WOWY' alongside Kessel speaks for itself. Underlying #'s are always the best indicator of a player. Always. You can see read NHL.com and see how many shots he blocks or how many hits he accumulates, but that site doesn't tell you the real stuff. Not to mention he's an upcoming UFA who will be looking for a payday thanks to Kessel. No thanks. Never. Gillis getter find someone else.

#106 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,437 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:29 AM

I'm not sure we're actually disagreeing here. If you're proposing Bozak as a third of a deal, I don't have a problem with that.
I also don't care if the Leafs wouldn't want to move Franson - they're not getting Luongo for a UFA and a spare part.
Imo the best option would be for the Leafs/Canucks to negotiate with Bozak's agent and work out terms of a sign and trade.
If that were the case and he agreed to a sensible cap hit,
I probably wouldn't argue with a Bozak and a pick/prospect, but as it stands, I'd expect another roster RFA, and a backup at the very least.

Regarding Garrison, I agree that he's a solid right side guy - I've been wondering out loud in the overexposed thread all season long why he wasn't used that way, but I suppose it may have had something to do with getting him accustomed to playing here on his strong side before shifting him to the RS.
Anyhow, that does open up options, which is part of the reason I thought he was such a great acquisition in the first place. What I'm not a big fan of is the possibility of Alberts being the 6th man and relying on Barker if anyone is out of the lineup, as has been taking place recently, particularly as the postseason approaches. I think adding a guy like Franson right now makes a whole lot of sense.

Yeah thats a good point, it would be convient forsure.

I agree, since AV doesn't use Ballard, although I think he will.

Isn't Franson a right side guy? If so that would kinda ruin our current allignment of Hammer-Garrison. Unless he could switch to the left side then it is something I would look at.

zackass.png

#107 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:32 AM

I hope they try to get Lupul. Since returning from injury, 7 goals in 8 games.

Here's an amazing one from tonight

drouin_sig_by_motzaburger-d7ucejm.jpg

Sig by CheddaBurger

#108 naslund.is.king

naslund.is.king

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:35 AM

I hope they try to get Lupul. Since returning from injury, 7 goals in 8 games.

Here's an amazing one from tonight

hes paid as a first liner we would likely need to afford him at a 2nd line rate

#109 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:43 AM

True, but he has the same cap hit as Booth.

Edited by CanucksD, 29 March 2013 - 12:45 AM.

Sig by CheddaBurger

#110 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,452 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:47 AM

Yeah thats a good point, it would be convient forsure.

I agree, since AV doesn't use Ballard, although I think he will.

Isn't Franson a right side guy? If so that would kinda ruin our current allignment of Hammer-Garrison. Unless he could switch to the left side then it is something I would look at.

I think Garrison is on the right side because he's the best on his off-side, although regardless, those two make one hell of a shutdown pair, with the ability to score as well.

In Florida he played RS to Campbell (the majority of his minutes last year), but with all other d-partners he played the left side.
A solid shutdown guy like him with a young right side guy like Franson imo could be a pretty deadly pairing. I think the Hamhius Biekas pairing was changed to be able to have Tanev (and Bieksa) with Alberts and Edler.
I'm not sure if AV is opting for Alberts over Ballard, or if they are getting Alberts ready in the event they need him to play a bigger role...Whatever the case, I'd like to see a guy like Franson added, or go out and get a near NHL ready prospect like Petrovic.

#111 naslund.is.king

naslund.is.king

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:56 AM

toronto is forced to use a second some would argue 3rd line player in lupul on their top line since they are hes being paid accordingly. For us who would be playing him on second or third line depending on play its not worth it.Good player but they can live with their constant mistakes

#112 Sestito29

Sestito29

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:59 AM

New contract kicks in next year with a 5.25 cap hit.

#113 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:51 AM

Hmmph, dealing him to the Leafs? Talked to Leaf fans, they say they don't want him - and they don't need him based on how they're doing.

If he goes there though, in return, I'd like to get Reimer, O'Reilley, and Kadri - that's my asking price for Lu.

Actually, I'd rather see him wind up with the Leaf's rivals, the Habs.

#114 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:13 AM

Kadri is still out there, don't be surprised to see

Lou+Raymond/Higgins/Ballard+prospect

For

Kadri+Gardner+high pick 2013

Lou is a game changer, top 5 in the league and will demand a high return by trade deadline.

You are dreaming in technicolour. Lou is pretty much worthless, and carries a terrible contract. Go to NHL.com and look up his stats and compare them to other goalies - he ranks about 30th - the only way that changes a game is in a negative sense. Why a team would take on 5.3 mil a year for the next seven years on a 33 year old goalie who is most likely worse than the one they already have is a mystery understandable only by Lou fans. Lou is nowhere near top 5 in the league, he is 32nd in GAA among goalies with 10 or more games - get it? 32 is greater than 5. There are thirty teams in the league and practically every one of them has one goalie better than Luongo. Why then, would they give up anything of value to get him? Why do you think he has not already been traded - after all of this time?

#115 samurai

samurai

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:06 AM

You are dreaming in technicolour. Lou is pretty much worthless, and carries a terrible contract. Go to NHL.com and look up his stats and compare them to other goalies - he ranks about 30th - the only way that changes a game is in a negative sense. Why a team would take on 5.3 mil a year for the next seven years on a 33 year old goalie who is most likely worse than the one they already have is a mystery understandable only by Lou fans. Lou is nowhere near top 5 in the league, he is 32nd in GAA among goalies with 10 or more games - get it? 32 is greater than 5. There are thirty teams in the league and practically every one of them has one goalie better than Luongo. Why then, would they give up anything of value to get him? Why do you think he has not already been traded - after all of this time?

So one of you thinks Lu is the greatest the other crap. How about somewhere in the middle. He's got a few years of good hockey in him and is proven. Downside is the long contract. Most experts know that lu's stats at the moment are the result of a shortened season and not getting the chance to settle into a routine. There is a small buyer's market for him where no team is going to offer too much for him. Gillis can bluff all he likes but the market and facts remain - age and long contract and other goalies. Toronto should be interested cause neither of their goalies are great.

#116 samurai

samurai

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:06 AM

So one of you thinks Lu is the greatest the other crap. How about somewhere in the middle. He's got a few years of good hockey in him and is proven. Downside is the long contract. Most experts know that lu's stats at the moment are the result of a shortened season and not getting the chance to settle into a routine. There is a small buyer's market for him where no team is going to offer too much for him. Gillis can bluff all he likes but the market and facts remain - age and long contract and other goalies. Toronto should be interested cause neither of their goalies are great.

#117 DeltaSwede

DeltaSwede

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:22 AM

I think Bozak would be an excelent addition to this team and he would fill a similar role as Hodgson did, playing on the third line and the second pp. We have to accept that Luo has lost a lot of value due to next years salary cap and the trade has to mirror that. Bozak being a UFA at the end of the season just lowers his value, which I see as a positive for us, as why wouldn't he want to sign with us? whenever players come here they rave about how great the locker room is and everything that is on offer for them. I wouldn't mind spending 3 million on a player like Bozak who can fill in pretty much any role on any team in the NHL if needed.

To Toronto:
Roberto Luongo

To Vancouver:
Tyler Bozak
2nd Round pick 2013

most reasonable offer I have seen so far, might be able to get a goaltender back.

Edited by DeltaSwede, 29 March 2013 - 03:22 AM.

MMjJiLv.gif

Shinckarukak

#118 MayRayDown

MayRayDown

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:23 AM

Lou is nowhere near top 5 in the league, he is 32nd in GAA among goalies with 10 or more games - get it? 32 is greater than 5.

I like how you rage on someone and then spew out false stats. He's 20th in GAA among goalies with 10 or more games.

There are thirty teams in the league and practically every one of them has one goalie better than Luongo.

BUF,CGY,CAR,COL,DAL,FLA,NYI,PHI,PHX,TBL,TOR,WPG. Guess 12 out of 29 isn't alot right?

#119 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:30 AM

New contract kicks in next year with a 5.25 cap hit.

Oh, didn't realize. My mistake!

Sig by CheddaBurger

#120 Sandro17

Sandro17

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:42 AM

And I would think that just a 1st overall would be a good trade.

Or even...Morgan Rielly :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.