3230 replies to this topic

#1141 Toews

Toews

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

If Nonis had a brain this situation would have been resolved.

James Reimer has a SV% of .922. But Nonis does not have a brain for not giving Gillis what he wants.

#1142 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

James Reimer has a SV% of .922. But Nonis does not have a brain for not giving Gillis what he wants.

No he doesn't have a brain for not accepting Luongo for Peanuts if he was actually interested in upgrading his goaltending to elite caliber.

zackass.png

#1143 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

I've watched Reimer many times. He's super athletic but is horrible at tracking the puck and average positioning. He's lucky his team is #1 in shot blocking.

#1144 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

I've watched Reimer many times. He's super athletic but is horrible at tracking the puck and average positioning. He's lucky his team is #1 in shot blocking.

The Leafs have essentially one thing going for them - their shooting percentage is tops in the NHL - whether they will be able to maintain it going forward is questionable.
Otherwise, their players with the best corsi on numbers are both rookies an their numbers, like every other Leaf, are negative.
Not a single Leaf player has been on the ice for more scoring chances than they surrendered this season.
If their shooters and goaltenders aren't actually that much better than the opposition, then they have a date with reality in store.
In addition to shots, they give up a considerable territorial advantage - only a few of their players get over 50% offensive zone starts - McClaren, Orr and JVR.
Whether the Leafs have been fortunate to this point, or are as good as their record suggests is debatable. Imo their formula is not one that leads to long term success. They've been opportune, but as the Wild found out last year, strong first halfs of a season with nevertheless poor underlying numbers doesn't necessarily indicate something sustainable...
The other teams around them in the standings - another story entirely.
Ottawa, who trail the Leafs, have 26 players with a positive corsi on - their only regular on the negative side is Conacher whose numbers are imported from Tampa. The Leafs may appear a few points better than Ottawa, but I wouldn't bet on their future relative to the Sens...even the Islanders have considerably better underlying numbers than Toronto.
Enjoy it while you can Laffs.

Edited by oldnews, 14 April 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#1145 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

Since Luongo was on the bench, this argument is irrelevant. And if the team is to blame then Luongo or Schneider wouldn't have mattered, therefore, why the praise for Schneider, but most of all, why such hate for an athlete that has turned this franchise around?

No one is hating on Lu, you toothless knuckle dragger. Falling back on everyone hating Lu for no reason is the weakest argument ever.
You're taking a page out of KotES's book. Wanting failure and expecting failure are two different things, but you're doing both.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#1146 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:58 AM

No one is hating on Lu, you toothless knuckle dragger. Falling back on everyone hating Lu for no reason is the weakest argument ever.
You're taking a page out of KotES's book. Wanting failure and expecting failure are two different things, but you're doing both.

Anyone who thinks that goaltending is the issue with this club aren't watching what is going on at ice level.

#1147 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

No he doesn't have a brain for not accepting Luongo for Peanuts if he was actually interested in upgrading his goaltending to elite caliber.

Lou is not an upgrade at this point in his career.

#1148 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

And the same is true for Luongo .

#1149 Toews

Toews

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:50 PM

Luongo like you say maybe available for "peanuts" but at what long term cost? The new CBA penalizes the team acquiring him after he retires. He is also a 34 year old goalie who is putting up average numbers this year with a significant number of years left on his deal.

Even if we accept that Nonis does not have a brain, where are the other GMs? Last I checked a number of other GMs have had the opportunity to get Luongo but have not done so. Some with even more pressing needs in goal than Toronto.

#1150 Toews

Toews

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:52 PM

With the numbers he has put up, does it really matter how he is getting it done?

#1151 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

Yes Lu is an upgrade on Riemer.

zackass.png

#1152 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

So now that Luongo won this Nashville game, does AV stick to "the process" and reward Luongo with the next start? Or does he play mind games and favorites and goes back with Schneider?

#1153 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

You sure like taking a dump on the guy at every opportunity don't you?

#1154 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

So now that Luongo won this Nashville game, does AV stick to "the process" and reward Luongo with the next start? Or does he play mind games and favorites and goes back with Schneider?

Goes back with Kesler.

He won us the game
. :towel:

Kesler = Beast

Posted Image

zackass.png

#1155 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

Great game for Luo. Love to see it. Exactly what the team needs from their A2.
But back with Schneider tomorrow if he's healthy.

#1156 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:36 AM

So now that the GM situation in Edmonton has been changed; Does this put Edmonton back in the mix for Lou? I was listening to the press conference, introducing MacTavish as the new GM. He stated that bold moves were in order. Acquiring Lou would definatately qualify as bold and instantly puts them in the playoffs. Could this be a realistic scenario?

#1157 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:36 AM

So now that the GM situation in Edmonton has been changed; Does this put Edmonton back in the mix for Lou? I was listening to the press conference, introducing MacTavish as the new GM. He stated that bold moves were in order. Acquiring Lou would definatately qualify as bold and instantly puts them in the playoffs. Could this be a realistic scenario?

Luongo instantly puts them in the playoffs does he? Maybe, maybe not.

Dubnyk has a .922 Sv% this year and the Oilers are out of it. Luongo has only once in his time in Vancouver surpassed the .922 mark. I'd say that Luongo in Edmonton at 34+ years of age is no guarantee to getting them into the playoffs.

#1158 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:11 AM

Luongo will be traded... this is going to happen. So why would we let our starter going forward sit on the bench? Schneider will get most of our games here on out.

Iain MacIntyre@imacVanSun 13h
With 6 gms to go and Schneider in top form, never know if this will be Luongo's last game. Good start if so. 9 saves, 2-0 VAN.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#1159 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:10 AM

With the numbers he has put up, does it really matter how he is getting it done?

Like I said, he plays in behind of the best shot-blocking team in the league. I'm not sold he will be good enough to take them to a cup. I see his flaws out-weighing his athleticism.

#1160 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,067 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

It'll be Booth + Ballard + Luongo for Gagner + 1st 2013 + Khabibulin

lol

#1161 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

You really have to accept the Canuck reality. The sad fact is that Lu and Schneider have been winning games despite the performances in front of them. Puck turnovers by a puck possession team are killing this team. 36 shots on Lu by the Preds who had a decimated roster, no different than the AV's game.

#1162 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:00 AM

You sure like taking a dump on the guy at every opportunity don't you?

Just going by the stats as they are the yardstick to measure a goalies performance...it was just a comparison of the two at this point with no bias.

#1163 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

Like I said, he plays in behind of the best shot-blocking team in the league. I'm not sold he will be good enough to take them to a cup. I see his flaws out-weighing his athleticism.

and blocked shots do not enter into a goalies stats. Regardless of his so called poor positioning and poor tracking, his stats are better than Lou's. Reimer has a huge upside with time to improve. Any team would be happy with a goalie who could maintain his current numbers.

#1164 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

Luis winning the cup here folks. Gonna be real embarrassing for his haters.
WHATCHU GONNA DO WHEN MILLERMANIA RUNS WILDDDD ON YOU?!

#1165 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

He'll win one like Bernier last year. :P

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#1166 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

He'll win one like Bernier last year. :P

Hahahah, gotta admit that was good.

More like quick ;)

#1167 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

If Lou wins then Schneider wins, the Canucks win and all of us Canuck fans win...so....whats your point?

#1168 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

If Lou wins then Schneider wins, the Canucks win and all of us Canuck fans win...so....whats your point?

What do u mean what's my point? More than half the city has cussed him out... all the writtters wanted him gone... mg...

Anyways I'm not continuing this because its a MAJOR IF.

don't worry tho smurf, if it happens u won't be heckled much... the world will focus on nonis n heckle him for not pulling the deadline deal.

Edited by apollo, 16 April 2013 - 02:17 PM.

#1169 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

What do u mean what's my point? More than half the city has cussed him out... all the writtters wanted him gone... mg...

don't worry tho smurf, if it happens u won't be heckled much... the world will focus on nonis n heckle him for not pulling the deadline deal.

I'd be happy as hell if the Canucks win the cup no matter who was in net. However with Schneider being the starter now and Luongo's track record in playoffs, I'd never wager any money on Luongo winning Stanley anywhere but on the bench.

#1170 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

You really need to get off this notion that people who are critical of Lou's goaltending(that's what its about) are haters ! I think Lou is a great guy, smart, funny, dedicated to his craft and a has great work ethics. The point with me is that Lou has technical deficiencies and even though he is aware of them, works hard to overcome them, he seems to be unable to integrate the fixes for any length of time. That's a real puzzle to me. He started the season with much better techniques, then changed back, and now appears to be reintroducing them again. I don't know whether its pressure or just uncomfortable or that his previous style is too ingrained to change but the fact remains that to the trained eyes he is showing inconsistency. I'd love nothing better than to see Lou succeed, I just don't see it happening while a better goalie is wearing a Canuck jersey or unless he can change. He needs to be #1 somewhere, I just don't believe its here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.