The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

erhoff vrs garrison

erhoff or garrison  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The year we went to the cup we had salo and erhoff and edler ....that was huge offense for us... in fact i would go so far to say erhoff was that missing piece we needed...The guy is making 4mill with the sabres... really not much...garrison i was worried with how he was going to be... he played along side of brian campbell and the closest we have to him is edler .... clearly in mind garrison has dissapointed to this point... then we let salo go... we went to the finals with salo and erhoff and edler not just edler and garrison.... its obvious for this team to be successful that the d has to be able to score god knows our forwards should be the ones scoring...i believe gillis and management plays hard ball and makes mistakes because of it. in the end i believe garrison won't get us there and we over paid for him..... to this day it boils me that we let erhoff go........

The year we went to the cup we had salo and erhoff and edler ....that was huge offense for us... in fact i would go so far to say erhoff was that missing piece we needed...The guy is making 4mill with the sabres... really not much...

This topic has been beaten to death. It really has.

there are 2 sides

one side thinks we don't need Ehrhoff Anymore. They are correct, as we last season were still on top of after the regular season

And there is the other side of fans, who think its actually a huge loss for the team for losing Ehrhoff.

Both sides are correct. We are technically still a very very strong team, but we are a much much more potent offensive team with Ehrhoff and even the Sedins were able to put up more points with him in the line up. He just fitted in perfectly with our teammates and the system. When he was here he averaged more ice time then any other dman. There is no doubt in my mind. Some players play well under a certain system. Ehrhoff for whatever reason thrived under A.V. There were times when Ehrhoff was playing 28 minutes per game. There is no doubt in my mind that Ehrhoff is a superior player to Garrison who was riding on Brian Campbell last year.

To me I am just expecting Garrison to provide us solid defence, and maybe some more goals, but no... he does not run a powerplay like Ehrhoff does. Not a chance.

Garrison has not been a disappointment! He's by far our best D as of late. He may have had a slow start while he got used to playing on this team, but he's improved and now has 8 pts (5 goals) and is a +12. (That +/- by the way puts him 12th in the league among Dmen, ahead of the likes of Erhoff, Salo, Letang, and Subban.)

I like Erhoff a lot and there's no doubt he's a great player (17 pts, 4 goals, and +11) but he didn't want to be here as much as he wanted more money. Erhoff's contract only looks superficially better because it's 4 years longer than Garrison's and that significantly lowered his cap hit. But, take a closer look and it's not as favorable. Erhoff's contract is 10-years, worth $40M total ($22M in the first 3 years), and expires in 2021 when he'll be 39. Garrison's contract is 6-years, worth $27.6M ($17M in the first 3 years), and expires in 2018 when he'll be 34.

The only advantage of Erhoff's contract, like all other front loaded contracts, is that it may be more moveable later as his game declines since his actual salary drops to $4M starting next year (after getting $13M in signing bonuses plus salary over the first 2 years.) However, even that advantage may be complicated by the fact that he also has a NMC and a modified NTC. (Garrison also has a NTC.)

So, in short, Erhoff is still awesome but Garrison was the better option for this team. Now if Garrison would just attach the stick GPS I made for him...

hockeystickgps_zps9ca0857c.jpg

Considering they're different players, I don't think we should try and compare them. Considering Ehrhoff didn't take the deal we offered him (similar to Bieksa's, therefore similar to Garrison's) and went on to sign a 10 year back diving deal with Buffalo, it's a bit of a moot argument whatever his cap hit now.

It's kind of apples and oranges here. Erhoff was a quarterback, setting up plays, whereas Garrison is a shooter. A better question would be who was better, Salo or Garrison, and my answer would be Salo, who in my opinion was a great player for the team, and a huge loss. No offense to Garrison, who has been getting progressively better as the season has gone on.

It's kind of apples and oranges here. Erhoff was a quarterback, setting up plays, whereas Garrison is a shooter. A better question would be who was better, Salo or Garrison, and my answer would be Salo, who in my opinion was a great player for the team, and a huge loss. No offense to Garrison, who has been getting progressively better as the season has gone on.

As others have said, they are not comparable players. But, I think that if we had to redo the Bruins SCF, most people here would probably rather have Garrison on D than 'Hoff. Don't think he will allow opposing teams run the goal tenders. I think Garrison is going to prove to be a formidable playoff guy

Check out Garrisons underlying stats, http://canucksarmy.c...-and-regression. These tell a lot about who was doing what in the d pairings when Garrison played in Florida.

Long read short, the team had a positive goal differential when Campbell and Garrison were together; an even differential when Garrison was without Campbell and a negative when Campbell was without Garrison.

Garrison is a shut down D man with offensive upside with his shot. This team needs that and has needed that since Willie left.

Ehrhoff is an offensive D man who played decent d, got a lot of O zone starts and PP time. We now have Edler, who I think is the higher potential to be better both offensively and defensively than Ehrhoff, to take on that role.

The powerplay struggles isn't necessarily due to the loss of Ehrhoff and more that the rest of the league has learned how to shut it down. This year it has been especially bad because there is no Kesler and instead of changing the PP to suit what the team has to offer, Brown has just tried to keep things the same and try to replace Kesler. We all know this.

Garrison is more valuable to the team right now, and is going to be a big time performer in the playoffs and be very hard to play against.

Garrison > Ehrhoff

Edler > Ehrhoff

Ehrhoff was non existent in the final and really didnt do all that great in the playoffs. Wasnt bad, but didnt seem to elevate his game to the "next level".

Our best Dmen in the 2011 playoffs were Bieksa and Hamhuis..

Although u are more talking about offense from the back end so u kind of have a point. But i think our D is fine, they have just been under achieving all year.

Archived