The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CBA Loophole

So we all know we can't buy out Booth, then re-sign him. Is there anything stopping us from trading him and then signing him after another team buys him out? If this is legal, we could do something like this:

Trade:

PHI: Booth

VAN: Briere

Both players bought out

Van signs Booth to a cheap contract

Phi signs Briere to a cheap contract

Is this legal?

OMG please stop with crazy, farfetched wheeling and dealing.

Why do you want Booth anyways, he scored over 40 pts once, ONCE! in his career and that was in 2008-09...four freaking season ago!

He's 28 years old, if anything he's on the downhill. Move on with Booth, I was happy with the acquisition but he's just not the same palyer anymore and injury prone.

Anyway no place for him in our top 9. These seven players below are all lock for our top nine, I believe Jensen will be a top 9 mid-season next year, after half a season in the AHL and I'd rather re-sign Roy than give yet another chance to Booth and miss our chance with the Amnesty buyout

Sedin

Sedin

Burrows

Kesler

Hansen

Higgins

Kassian

I'd rather keep Jensen down in the AHL and let him play more minutes/provide depth in case of an injury. Notice I said a CHEAP contract. Let's suggest, for arguments sake, 1.5 million. How many better options do we have than Booth for that price?

Nothing wrong with depth. We sure as hell needed it this season.

Just because it seems strange doesn't make it stupid. The cap going down is going to cause a lot of strange things to happen over the summer. Also, our management is known for always looking for creative ways to work around the cap.

Try looking at the trade OBJECTIVELY

Canucks save cap space (they need it)

Flyers save cap space (they need it)

Briere gets to stay in Philly (he wants to stay)

Booth gets another shot here with a strong team

So we all know we can't buy out Booth, then re-sign him. Is there anything stopping us from trading him and then signing him after another team buys him out? If this is legal, we could do something like this:

Trade:

Both players bought out

Is this legal?

Just because it seems strange doesn't make it stupid. The cap going down is going to cause a lot of strange things to happen over the summer. Also, our management is known for always looking for creative ways to work around the cap.

Try looking at the trade OBJECTIVELY

Canucks save cap space (they need it)

Flyers save cap space (they need it)

Briere gets to stay in Philly (he wants to stay)

Booth gets another shot here with a strong team

Trade:

Both players bought out

Is this legal?

It would be collusion, which is not legal.

Collusion - an agreement between two or more parties, sometimes illegal and therefore secretive, to limit open competition by deceiving, misleading, or defrauding others of their legal rights, or to obtain an objective forbidden by law typically by defrauding or gaining an unfair advantage.

Bettman and the NHL have wide ranging authority to determine what is or is not considered circumvention of the CBA. They can void transactions and impose penalties including monetary ones, loss of draft picks, etc. for such circumvention. This is a scenario where the NHL absolutely could not let a precedent be set and would come down hard on the teams involved.

You are also forgetting one very important party to this transaction: The NHLPA

The NHLPA would never allow any of their players to weaken their collective right to increasing salaries over time. The PA would absolutely not let this kind of transaction happen as it gives teams authority to essentially re-write contract values based on current performance which essentially kills their hard earned (and vehemently defended) right to guaranteed contracts in the CBA..

OMG please stop with crazy, farfetched wheeling and dealing.

Why do you want Booth anyways, he scored over 40 pts once, ONCE! in his career and that was in 2008-09...four freaking season ago!

He's 28 years old, if anything he's on the downhill. Move on with Booth, I was happy with the acquisition but he's just not the same palyer anymore and injury prone.

Anyway no place for him in our top 9. These seven players below are all lock for our top nine, I believe Jensen will be a top 9 mid-season next year, after half a season in the AHL and I'd rather re-sign Roy than give yet another chance to Booth and miss our chance with the Amnesty buyout

Sedin

Sedin

Burrows

Kesler

Hansen

Higgins

Kassian

Archived