The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What brand of hockey should this team play?

EvoLu7ioN

At the end of last season, STL, NSH, PHX, and LA were the final four teams remining teams in the West. The year prior, Boston won the cup. All these teams have a focus on defense first, and offense second.

Management must have decided that to succeed, they would need to change their organizational philosphy.

the grinding style the canucks employed was bound to fail.

The major problem is the canucks simply aren't built for a grinding style. They are too small and not physical. Our core group, the sedins, kesler, burrows, raymond, hamhuis, bieksa are too small. Players like Garrison and Edler are big, but not really physical.

The canucks need to attack in order to succeed. Hopefully, Pittsburgh and Chiacgo win the the East and West respectively to prove that skill teams still have a chance. Hockey sure is boring these days.

To me the answer is simple... defend the front of the net and have your forwards drive the offense. From there it's a matter of adapting, putting in the pieces to succeed and most importantly having a coach to work with players to make quick adjustments as they're needed. With the core group they have now, if the coach had a simple system and constantly worked with all of the players so that they can make quick adjustments, then I think finding players from the farm or externally is a lot easier.

Both fast and slow teams have beaten the Canucks which IMO is due to positioning and coordinated tactics more than the team's overall abilities. If the Canucks employed this they should be better than they were the last few years. As a fan though I'd go with speed/skill and speed/toughness rather than slow tank-like brute force and death by trapping.

To me the answer is simple... defend the front of the net and have your forwards drive the offense. From there it's a matter of adapting, putting in the pieces to succeed and most importantly having a coach to work with players to make quick adjustments as they're needed. With the core group they have now, if the coach had a simple system and constantly worked with all of the players so that they can make quick adjustments, then I think finding players from the farm or externally is a lot easier.

Both fast and slow teams have beaten the Canucks which IMO is due to positioning and coordinated tactics more than the team's overall abilities. If the Canucks employed this they should be better than they were the last few years. As a fan though I'd go with speed/skill and speed/toughness rather than slow tank-like brute force and death by trapping.

In our run to the finals the Sedins had the most points out of everyone including any of the bruins besides Krejci. They also had more points than any of the kings players did when they won the cup. The sedins were our best players offensively during our run.

Having a third line center like Pavelski on the other hand... Now thats secondary scoring and depth. We don't have that.

We need size, skill and speed up front, and really big and physical guys on the blueline to win a Cup.

Time to throw away this absolute B.S style of play we're into right now where defencemen jump up in the rush and take stupid gambles on the walls all the time, expecting the forwards to cycle back, because it's not working and hasn't been since the 2011 Cup run. Our defencemen simply can't handle that style anymore, only Ehrhoff really did it well.

We need to simplify our game and play the way we did in 2006/2007. This team is no longer as skilled as it once was, and is relying on goaltending more than ever before, so it's time for AV/whoever to get back to playing a boring, defensive style of game. I don't mind watching the trap game for 100 games if it means we win a Cup. Just ask L.A fans.

Solid defence first - then build offence off that, mainly off the opposition's turnovers and mistakes. We should never gamble, unless down late in the 3rd, and focus on defending and falling back first as opposed to gambling and forcing offence, because that's what leads to defensive melt-downs which was ultimately our undoing this season.

Points are great. But the question is, were the Sedins our best players? This year or last year?

I don't think they were.

The Sedins will always get points. But for us to be effective we need them to be consistent threats in the offensive zone. I just haven't seen that from them in the last two years.

Our best defense has always been our offense. If we can't keep sustained pressure in the other teams zone, that means we're constantly having to back check, and allowing chances in our zone.

I'm pretty sure the real trend has been loosening up on calling obstruction, holding etc. It's no surprise the Twins had their best years when those rules were being enforced to bring out the speed of the game to bring up scoring and excitement.

But the talent pool has not been big enough to supply talent to 30 teams, including remote low budget teams in the foothills and the deserts. So we revert to a game that allows a simple strong athlete to "tag"players like Danny & Hank.

And in other arena's, it's been hard to pull a Mike Smith / Ken Holland. Smith found Zhamnov as a more or less unknown, drafted Selanne and loaded his team with cheap, but fast and skilled European talents. That allowed their budgets to compete, in theory. Now Russian & European stars have legitimate options to stay in the KHL versus move to Columbus or Winnipeg to boost markets nobody else wants to play in?

And lets face it; Gillis himself blew it. We've let talented guys like Grabner, Shirikov and Hodgson go without any real production in return to date. More to the point; in 2010/11 we had more speed and size on our 3rd line with Malhotra and Torres. Tambelinni added depth scoring we don't currently have and even Raymond spent time on the 4th. And its been a long time since someone brought the energy Rypien did, ignoring any pugilism. We still have depth talent this year, but nowhere near the same physical ability to compete. And Garrison replacing Erhoff add's size at the expense of an ability to enhance puck posession or run dynamic break outs. At the time, a tad more depth would have got us over the top. Instead our 3rd and 4th lines are smaller and less effective and we've clearly regressed on defence.

Well he's taking his time then, cause if you look at his recent drafts he's drafted nothing but skilled Europeans as usual.

I don't think it takes a hockey genius to realize that it has been the trend. The only question is will that trend continue?

I don't think it will. Cause at the end of the day, it's exciting hockey that sells. In some markets they only wanna see blood, but I think most of the marketts respect skill and fast paced excitement.

I'm pretty sure the real trend has been loosening up on calling obstruction, holding etc. It's no surprise the Twins had their best years when those rules were being enforced to bring out the speed of the game to bring up scoring and excitement.

But the talent pool has not been big enough to supply talent to 30 teams, including remote low budget teams in the foothills and the deserts. So we revert to a game that allows a simple strong athlete to "tag"players like Danny & Hank.

And in other arena's, it's been hard to pull a Mike Smith / Ken Holland. Smith found Zhamnov as a more or less unknown, drafted Selanne and loaded his team with cheap, but fast and skilled European talents. That allowed their budgets to compete, in theory. Now Russian & European stars have legitimate options to stay in the KHL versus move to Columbus or Winnipeg to boost markets nobody else wants to play in?

basically replace *roy, raymond, ebbet with bigger versions of the same up front for a start.

figure out a proper non revolving door fourth line, a real fourth line, not some unidentifiable hybrid.

a step further:

find pp quarterback on the D.

=

skill and size

*a big solid face off guy is required

Points are great. But the question is, were the Sedins our best players? This year or last year?

I don't think they were.

The Sedins will always get points. But for us to be effective we need them to be consistent threats in the offensive zone. I just haven't seen that from them in the last two years.

Our best defense has always been our offense. If we can't keep sustained pressure in the other teams zone, that means we're constantly having to back check, and allowing chances in our zone.

who cares? this team's window has officially closed it was slammed shut this year. we were the joke of the playoffs, didn't win a single game and I don't know about you but every single other series has been more entertaining to watch than ours was. I'll still follow this team but I'm starting to understand why a lot of people get sick of this team and begin following other teams, way more teams playing with heart and having a way more entertaining playoff than us.

I'd try to replicate the attacking style we had in 2011, except I'd add a bit more size. Our guys aren't large, physical players so trying to get them to play a way that isn't suited for them wouldn't work. This isn't to say they can't play that game, but I wouldn't make it the focal point of our team. Instead of going for a skilled team or a big, physical team I'd try to find that happy medium. To do this we'd need to upgrade our bottom six while inserting a slightly larger, skilled player into our top six. We'd also need a PP quarterback who can skate. New coaching would be ideal as well, as AV doesn't seem to like coaching an attacking style.

All this is easier said than done, but that's what I'd like to see.

Archived