The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

Stevens is SUCH a better fit for the Canucks. Torts is such a gimmick. The idea of having a hard nosed coach like him is, I'll admit, pretty tempting. But realistically this guy would fit HORRIBLY with our core and our franchise in general.

Would you care to elaborate?

Has anyone actually heard any reliable updates on the interviews with Torts/Stevens/others? Everything these last 2 days has been pure speculation as far as I have seen.

Yeah same here... I'm dying to hear some real news! And I sure hope the press conference will be in the next couple of days.

I hope everyone will be real entertained by Tortorella's post game comments while we're losing game after game.

Anyone that watches hockey because of the coaches is watching it for the wrong reasons.

Sather summed up what I was saying about Tortorella. He's an old school coach in a new school league. Today's game needs creativity and puck control, not dump and chase, and sitting back and blocking shots.

Stevens and someone like Maurice is more of what this team needs.

I disagree

Didn't Stevens just win a Stanley Cup ring as the defensive coach for a primarily dump-and-chase team last year? Why would you say he's a good fit here when his primary (if not only) notable resume highlight is his ability to engage a defensive unit?

Didn't Boston recently win the cup with an aggressive (not particularly creative) forwards group and a solid-as-a-rock defense and goaltender?

Boston is also currently in the finals (again) by doing the exact same thing. They have tightened up BIG time since the awkward Leafs series.

Creativity and puck control only works if you have the drafting power and to get the best in the game, like Chicago. We don't, so we won't.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that in a pro-Torts argument. To be honest, I'd be happy with either Stevens OR Torts. But I don't think the Canucks have the talent to emulate the likes of recent Detroit, Pittsburgh, or Chicago teams.

I hope everyone will be real entertained by Tortorella's post game comments while we're losing game after game.

Anyone that watches hockey because of the coaches is watching it for the wrong reasons.

Sather summed up what I was saying about Tortorella. He's an old school coach in a new school league. Today's game needs creativity and puck control, not dump and chase, and sitting back and blocking shots.

Stevens and someone like Maurice is more of what this team needs.

Ya, I'm still in shock that there are a number of Canucks fans who think Torts is a good coach in todays NHL. The main reason seems to be "he's won a Cup" or "he'll light a fire under teams butts". I haven't seen any rational argument in favor of Torts on these boards. Not one.

He won a Cup 8 yrs ago, pre salary cap era when you could buy teams, and when the league wasn't competitive. May I ask these people, what good did this 2004 Cup win do for the NYR in the last 5 years? Did he even make the dance (SCF) in a weak eastern conference?

How exactly is he going to "light a fire" under this teams butts? Does he have a magic ingredient that no one else on the planet knows about? Does he have some deep insight into motivation that the most highly educated psychologists don't? Or, does he simply think that screaming at his players and calling them out in front of the entire world is motivation? Cause that's worked so well for him in todays NHL. It got him fired in NYR cause the players said "we want him gone". Who else is looking forward to Schneider in 2 yrs saying what Lundqvist did cause he didn't want to play for Torts. Or, free agents looking at one of the most disliked coaches in the entire league coaching in Van and saying "I'll choose a different destination thanks".

Or even better, he can loose his cool every post game so North America has video evidence how irrational he is. They can mock this team some more, officials can find even more reasons to call against this team. The Canucks would become the biggest sideshow on the continent. Such a great idea.

Can someone explain to me how his 'sit back, block shots, poor puck possession systems' will get this team a Cup? In a league where only the top puck possesion teams make the dance (SCF), is Torts going magically change this?

None of the available coaches mentioned are really what we need. They need to start thinking outside the box; maybe go out if left field and get a coach who coaches a hard hitting forechecking grinding style of play.

They should consider interviewing Ted Nolan

This outside the box must stop. There is no box.

Sometimes I think our team could really use this instead of letting them sit in the room alone to figue it out themselves. Especially the Sedins. but honeslty I could see the Sedins crying or something if someone were to yell at them like this LOL.

Honestly that vid made me respect Torts a hell of a lot more. He's being tough but he's not calling them useless pieces of crap. Not quite what I expected.

Sometimes I think our team could really use this instead of letting them sit in the room alone to figue it out themselves. Especially the Sedins. but honeslty I could see the Sedins crying or something if someone were to yell at them like this LOL.

Yes. We all know Torts has temper tantrums when things aren't going their way. Assuming this would be good for the Canucks and they need to be screamed at like everyone on CDC seems to think, I still want a coach who can, you know, coach.

Ya, I'm still in shock that there are a number of Canucks fans who think Torts is a good coach in todays NHL. The main reason seems to be "he's won a Cup" or "he'll light a fire under teams butts". I haven't seen any rational argument in favor of Torts on these boards. Not one.

He won a Cup 8 yrs ago, pre salary cap era when you could buy teams, and when the league wasn't competitive. May I ask these people, what good did this 2004 Cup win do for the NYR in the last 5 years? Did he even make the dance (SCF) in a weak eastern conference?

How exactly is he going to "light a fire" under this teams butts? Does he have a magic ingredient that no one else on the planet knows about? Does he have some deep insight into motivation that the most highly educated psychologists don't? Or, does he simply think that screaming at his players and calling them out in front of the entire world is motivation? Cause that's worked so well for him in todays NHL. It got him fired in NYR cause the players said "we want him gone". Who else is looking forward to Schneider in 2 yrs saying what Lundqvist did cause he didn't want to play for Torts. Or, free agents looking at one of the most disliked coaches in the entire league coaching in Van and saying "I'll choose a different destination thanks".

Or even better, he can loose his cool every post game so North America has video evidence how irrational he is. They can mock this team some more, officials can find even more reasons to call against this team. The Canucks would become the biggest sideshow on the continent. Such a great idea.

Can someone explain to me how his 'sit back, block shots, poor puck possession systems' will get this team a Cup? In a league where only the top puck possesion teams make the dance (SCF), is Torts going magically change this?

1) Tampa certainly didn't buy that cup win

2) The league wasn't competitive. Really?

3) There's no doubt the Rangers improved when Torts took over

4) Lighting a fire under the guys butts? No I think a lot of fans here want to see the team work harder and be more accountable. Sick to death of them saying We will be better next year, after every playoff defeat and I will mention the country club atmosphere.

5) He doesn't call his players out ALL the time, he can be quite protective and I think he deflects the attention on himself to support that.

6) you are assuming Schneider will say that. Schneider appears to have a winning mentality and doesn't accept second best ( see his interview when he said the team ain't good enough )

7) We didn't attract the best free agents anyway but a lot of the players go where the money is not who the coach is

8) loses his cool EVERY post? No

9) Sideshow? Well maybe if the last coach was a little bit stricter the players wouldn't of brought a lot of it on themselves. The diving etc.

10) I agree with you on the shot blocking ( although I believe this is part of the game) not all of it but I would like to think he won't have the Sedins doing that and I have heard a few posters here mention that MG has said about The style of the play would not be the dump and chase game in relation to if Torts gets hired.

The only other coach out there is Stevens. I don't know if you are a fan of his but Torts fans can look at his record as a head coach and say he won't fit here.

I like The way Torts speaks to his team. On the HBO winter classic thing one particular thing stood out for me. There was a video of the previous game and he was talking through it with the team and just said Michael (Del Zotto ) you were our best defenseman last night .

Imagine how good Del Zotto would of felt after that and imagine how the other D's would think I want that to be me. That's motivational.

Archived