The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What makes people so confident in Schneider, as our number 1?

BenDrinkin

How do you make a decision based on nothing more than supposition? This discussion has gone on all year...where were you? Schneider relies on better technique than Lou so he is in better position. As Lou stated. he has tried to learn from Schneids and has stated schneids is quicker. When you look at their stats over the last 2 seasons, you can see the results of Schneider;s superior ability. End of story.

Why are so many Canucks fans obsessed with the team's goaltender?

They have so many other problems right now, including finding the right coach, being able to get the power play going and finding a way to play a puck possession game that allowed them to dominate 2 seasons ago.

Both Canucks goalies were good this year, and they had to be because this team couldn't score. Cory Schneider doesn't have the experience a vet like Lou has, but he has more than enough to take over the #1 spot. He's got about 100 games of NHL experience now, and he's won more than half of them. He's not doing anything that hasn't been done before.

Every young goalie has to start somewhere.

As for 'hating' Lou, I think a statement like that is naive. Obviously he's a great goaltender, and a very accomplished on at that, but he's got baggage from some bad playoff series that seems to stick with him. I think he needs to leave Vancouver to truly revitalize his career.

Schneider needs to play in Vancouver. Lou's time here is done. Thanks for all the memories, there were some great ones.

I also said the same thing when Clouts left.

I have never seen any player get so little trust or confidence from a fan base. You would never ever complain about a winger or a defender if they played by his standard. And i agree with you, he did not show up for the play offs this year, but he just came of a injury and the whoke team was falling apart, because the confidence level on team had hit rock bottom!

When we got Luongo he had zero playoff experience, yet we all trusted him to get the job done. Schnieder has been fantastic for the past 2-3 years. When he has played in the playoffs he has been solid. I have faith in him. I beleive in him as much as I do in Luongo.

Doesn't matter which is kept, both are capable of being no. 1's and taking a team into a good playoff run.

Here's what you and other fans here need to remember: goaltenders aren't going to be perfect and will have "moments". All goaltenders, not just ours. I guess because this fanbase has (rightfully) gotten a little impatient, we demand lights out, never faltering performances. But these are human beings and will have off days.

If you keep that in perspective you'll quickly see that he (like Lu) is a pretty solid goaltender and we can rely on him in that. He will likely only get better with time and experience and when we remove the distraction of "who will start". When he can go to work knowing the deal each game, it'll allow him to fully focus on doing just that.

I can't see how anyone would really question him....in particular, I like his 5 shutouts that put him on the top of the league in that category. He is fully capable of shutting the door and playing lights out. Give the guy some backing...the goaltender graveyard should have taught us all by now to just allow the guys to do their job and get behind them instead of questioning them.

Schnieder will be fine, he is aware that this year is his team. And if he struggles he won't have to worry about losing starts to Luongo. This situation is very simliar to Rask and Thomas in Boston. Rask was one of the best goalie 4? years ago and then choked in the playoffs losing to philly while being up 3-0. But Boston was aware that Rask was a better option because he is younger and cost less. Schnieder will be good for the Canucks not a lot of goalies are good the first few times in the playoffs, just look How Quick, Rask were there first times in the playoffs.

When the going got tough this year it was Schneider who stepped up and carried us to the playoffs. I love when people say he's a bad playoff performer when the only 2 bad games he had were the last 2 he played coming off of an injury.

It’s not like Cory has came out of no where or only had 1 good season in europe and a small string of decent AHL games and everyone deemed him the next best thing (lack). It’s the fact that he’s been a star at every level of hockey he’s every played. High school, college, AHL and even in his 98 games he’s played in the NHL he’s shown no signs of faulting. In his first year as a starter (although it is only 30 games) he posted again star like numbers. But then again we don’t need him to come up and play 75 games like Lundqvist or Luo did, All we really need is for him to play 2/3 of the season 60+ and play solid for us in the post season (steal a few games for us, not every game)..He’s young(ish) and hasn’t been giving the opportunity to completely take the horns and as he is just entering his prime we can only expect him to get better. He will provide solids goal tending for this team for next 7-10 years.

Archived