The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Williamson | D

IIlIlIIllIlIIIlIl

• 10 months later...

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/011916aac.html

Williamson Announces Decision to End Hockey Career

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – It was announced Tuesday afternoon by Penn State men’s hockey head coach Guy Gadowsky that junior defenseman Mike Williamson (Leduc, Alberta) has decided to end his hockey playing career due to chronic injuries.

“Unfortunately and sadly, Mike Williamson informed us that, due to his health, he will not play hockey anymore.” Gadowsky said at Tuesday’s press conference. “He’s been struggling with injuries for over a year now and the episodes get worse and worse. After talking with his family and the physicians he’s come up with this decision.

“It’s unfortunate because the guys on the team love him. He’s an extremely popular player in the locker room. I think the whole team is really sad to hear this news. He will remain a part of us doing whatever he can. He’s hungry to do that. He loves Penn State and is staying here to get his degree and help the program.”

Williamson, who is majoring in finance, appeared in six games this season and 49 for his three-year career at Penn State. A 2013 NHL Entry Draft Pick by the Vancouver Canucks (6th round, 175th overall), the 6-4 209-pound Albertan was known for his powerful shot and big frame.

Williamson made 27 appearances as a freshman in 2013-14, tallying six points on two goals and four assists, while posting a minus-4 rating. Williamson also blocked 57 shots. In his sophomore season, Williamson had two points on a goal and an assist in 16 appearances with a minus-1 rating. This season, Williamson had one assist and a minus-2 rating.

Although the 2014-15 Academic All-Big Ten honoree is unable to play hockey at Penn State, Williamson will remain enrolled through the duration of his degree-earning curriculum with the help of the Penn State program.

The Nittany Lions, who continue to be ranked in both national polls at No. 14, return to action on Friday and Saturday for road games at Ohio State. Both games are set for 7 p.m. puck drops with BTN Plus ($) covering the live streaming. Both games will carry a radio broadcast on the Penn State Sports Network with live audio streaming through GoPSUnow and the Penn State Sports App. 

43 minutes ago, Visp said:

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/011916aac.html

Williamson Announces Decision to End Hockey Career

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – It was announced Tuesday afternoon by Penn State men’s hockey head coach Guy Gadowsky that junior defenseman Mike Williamson (Leduc, Alberta) has decided to end his hockey playing career due to chronic injuries.

“Unfortunately and sadly, Mike Williamson informed us that, due to his health, he will not play hockey anymore.” Gadowsky said at Tuesday’s press conference. “He’s been struggling with injuries for over a year now and the episodes get worse and worse. After talking with his family and the physicians he’s come up with this decision.

“It’s unfortunate because the guys on the team love him. He’s an extremely popular player in the locker room. I think the whole team is really sad to hear this news. He will remain a part of us doing whatever he can. He’s hungry to do that. He loves Penn State and is staying here to get his degree and help the program.”

Williamson, who is majoring in finance, appeared in six games this season and 49 for his three-year career at Penn State. A 2013 NHL Entry Draft Pick by the Vancouver Canucks (6th round, 175th overall), the 6-4 209-pound Albertan was known for his powerful shot and big frame.

Williamson made 27 appearances as a freshman in 2013-14, tallying six points on two goals and four assists, while posting a minus-4 rating. Williamson also blocked 57 shots. In his sophomore season, Williamson had two points on a goal and an assist in 16 appearances with a minus-1 rating. This season, Williamson had one assist and a minus-2 rating.

Although the 2014-15 Academic All-Big Ten honoree is unable to play hockey at Penn State, Williamson will remain enrolled through the duration of his degree-earning curriculum with the help of the Penn State program.

The Nittany Lions, who continue to be ranked in both national polls at No. 14, return to action on Friday and Saturday for road games at Ohio State. Both games are set for 7 p.m. puck drops with BTN Plus ($) covering the live streaming. Both games will carry a radio broadcast on the Penn State Sports Network with live audio streaming through GoPSUnow and the Penn State Sports App. 

Damn, Gillis completely wasted our 6th round pick!

I just wanted to get that in before someone else got a chance to rant about Gillis drafting...::D

16 hours ago, HK Phooey said:

Big d-man with a big shot...too bad that he suffered from injuries.  

Finance degree from Penn State.  He'll do alright...kid from Leduc, AB will probably end up being a Wall Street hedge fund manager making a fortune in the crude oil market.

Can only wish Mike Williamson the best,. Absolutely the worst feeling when something of that magnitude closes the door on a dream.

Bummer for his hockey career.  I just hope this is a proactive move and not one that is being forced upon him becasuse he sustained an injury that is going to follow him for years going forward.  good luck in the finance world Mike!

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Can only wish Mike Williamson the best,. Absolutely the worst feeling when something of that magnitude closes the door on a dream.

True that^^^...Williamson sounds like a solid kid -- academic all-Big 10...well liked and respected by teammates.  We'll never know what the Canucks missed out on.  And to have to give up on a dream -- that's never easy for anyone.  Other than the little bit that I've read of him in the OP, I think Williamson will be successful at whatever he chooses to do.  I'll always cheer for a guy like him.

On 22/01/2016 at 6:24 PM, SpennyCanuck said:

Hope this doesn't effect his scholarship... good thing he went the college route.  

I wonder why more players don't go the college route. There's high odds of injury playing hockey and your odds of actually making it are quite low. Junior seems like such a foolish idea to me.

20 minutes ago, Delta76 said:

I wonder why more players don't go the college route. There's high odds of injury playing hockey and your odds of actually making it are quite low. Junior seems like such a foolish idea to me.

I think I remember hearing a few years ago that if you play Junior in Canada the CHL gives you a scholarship to go to a Canadian university when you finish your junior career. So while it might not be quite the same as going the NCAA route, there is still opportunity.

12 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I think I remember hearing a few years ago that if you play Junior in Canada the CHL gives you a scholarship to go to a Canadian university when you finish your junior career. So while it might not be quite the same as going the NCAA route, there is still opportunity.

That would make a lot more sense.

Yes I believe for every year you play in the CHL you get one year paid for post-secondary. So 4 years of junior = 4 years of schooling paid for. Books and everything.

You actually don't even have to play for the whole year. I have a friend who played only a few games in the CHL over a few years and he has gotten almost his entire post secondary education paid for. As long as they burn a card on you, you get the full year of paid schooling. So you can make the team at the start of the year, play 5 games and get cut, and still get a full year of schooling paid for.

Archived