Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

[Report] Canucks NOT Expected to be Active in Free Agency - Raymond, Lapierre, Alberts Likely Gone Too

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#1 Vancouver Canucks 30

Vancouver Canucks 30

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:12 AM

http://www.vancouver...612717&tab=PHOT

VANCOUVER — Even with defenceman Keith Ballard off the books, the Vancouver Canucks face a salary-cap conundrum that figures to prevent the team from making any kind of splash in the free agent pool.

Ballard's compliance buyout, which will be completed on Thursday, frees up $4.2 million of cap space for the Canucks. But that only leaves Vancouver with $7.497 million of cap space with seven roster spots left to fill to complete its 23-man roster.

So barring a trade of a veteran core player — and most of them have no-movement clauses — the Canucks figure to be simply trying to fill out their roster with players making $1 million or less.

When you factor defenceman Chris Tanev into the equation, the Canucks' cap crunch becomes even more severe. Tanev is a restricted free agent and is pencilled in to be the team's No. 5 defenceman. He figures to more than double last season's salary of $900,000.

For the sake of argument, let's say Tanev signs a new deal for $2 million a season and winger Dale Weise, another RFA the team is close to signing, gets $750,000. That would leave the Canucks with about $5 million to spend on five players.

Free agency officially begins Friday, although teams were free to contact players as of Wednesday, but the Canucks figure for the most part to be bystanders left to pick up the scraps.

They simply won't have the money to compete for any of the big free-agent names like Jarome Iginla, David Clarkson, Ryane Clowe and Nathan Horton.

Right now, the Canucks have nine forwards, five defencemen and two goaltenders signed for next season. Once Weise and Tanev are signed, the team will still need to find three forwards and two defencemen to fill out its roster.

All indications are that the Canucks won’t re-sign centre Max Lapierre, winger Mason Raymond or defenceman Andrew Alberts, who are all unrestricted free agents.

It seems likely the Canucks will fill some of those roster holes with young players already in their system. General manager Mike Gillis has talked about getting more young players into his lineup and it's not entirely by choice. It's a necessity as he needs players on entry-level deals in order to squeeze in under the $64.3-million salary cap.

The Canucks’ most pressing need appears to be at centre. If Lapierre does not return, that leaves the Canucks with Henrik Sedin and Ryan Kesler as their only centres.

They could elect to give Jordan Schroeder a chance to be the team's third-line centre, but would still need a fourth-line centre to skate between Weise and Tom Sestito on the fourth line.

Kellan Lain, a 6-6, 220-pound free agent signed this past spring out of Lake Superior University, figures to get a look at training camp as one of Gillis's stated goals is also to get bigger. The Canucks are high on Lain's feistiness and like the fact he is a left-hand shot who is good in the faceoff circle, something they have needed since Manny Malhotra was removed from the lineup.

Fellow prospects Nicklas Jensen, Brendan Gaunce and even the team's two first-round picks from Sunday's draft, Bo Horvat and Hunter Shinkaruk, will be given long looks at camp.

Rookie defenceman Frank Corrado, who impressed late last season, figures to make the team and his $600,000 salary is already counted in the above figures.

But the question has to be asked: how can the Canucks possibly be better next season if they go the youth route and don't add at least one impact player, preferably a forward with some grit and skill?

It seems a given that with Cory Schneider gone and a potentially unhappy Roberto Luongo asked to carry the load, their goaltending won't be as deep as it has been. The Canucks simply must get better in other areas to make up for that.

Gillis may be forced to go the trade route to truly improve his team, but all those no-trade clauses could make many of his veterans almost as tough to deal as Luongo.

The Canucks listened to offers for defenceman Alex Edler before the draft, but his no-trade clause has now kicked in and he becomes more difficult to deal.

So far, Gillis's promised re-set of the team has amounted to a new head coach and trading away his No. 1 goalie. He still has much work to do and not much money to make it happen.

It should make for an interesting summer.

bziemer@vancouversun.com

Twitter.com/bradziemer

#2 IIlIlIIllIlIIIlIl

IIlIlIIllIlIIIlIl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:14 AM

POPULAR

It's going to be hard losing Lappy.

#3 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:18 AM

Lappy is the only one of those three I'll miss. I don't see how we can't play Schroeder as one of our centres. He has the most NHL experience of our prospects and is still cheap.

Edit: Just remember Schroeder is an RFA. Well, we can assume he'll still be cheap since he hasn't done much to deserve much of a pay raise and I doubt any other teams have their sights set on him.

Edited by Where's Wellwood, 04 July 2013 - 12:19 AM.

14diqh3.jpg
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
"There is a time and place for everything but not now."

http://forum.canucks...a-bros-game-on/

#4 Crom!

Crom!

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:23 AM

A part of me is devastated to hear that Lappy won't be back but another part is hopeful that we can start building back up our rapport with the refs.

nfl1.jpg

#5 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,210 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:24 AM

POPULAR

I said this in another thread but I'll say it again:

We currently have $7,497,222 in cap space. Trade Booth as a cap dump to a team with a good amount of cap space and we'll have $11,747,222, add in Tanev's $2 million and Weise's $750K as suggested and sign Lappy for $1.5 million a year and we're left with the exact same amount we currently have. Plenty of room to sign a guy like Horton, Iginla, or Clowe.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#6 ftmN

ftmN

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:27 AM

I think the reality of trading booth will be low granted his last season, may as well cross that off the list of possibilities. You haven't read anything to support that trade possibility..?
Posted Image
Thanks to (>'-')> for the sig.

#7 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:27 AM

We currently have $7,497,222 in cap space. Trade Booth as a cap dump to a team with a good amount of cap space and we'll have $11,747,222, add in Tanev's $2 million and Weise's $750K as suggested and sign Lappy for $1.5 million a year and we're left with the exact same amount we currently have. Plenty of room to sign a guy like Horton, Iginla, or Clowe.

My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#8 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:30 AM

POPULAR

Honestly I'm more bothered losing Alberts than Lapierre. It's very easy to take for granted having a depth 7th defenseman that can go weeks without playing and then step in and hold his own after a mid-road trip injury.

#9 iinatcc

iinatcc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:32 AM

Booth ruined the team <_<

#10 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:33 AM

I still want to see a shakeup, though it will be sad to see Lappy go. I think we should keep Alberts, he doesn't make much, and for what he brings he's a moneyball pick for that LD 3rd pairing.

I'm absolutely thrilled that we're losing Raymond. You can't have a guy in your top 6 that brings nothing beyond a point every 3 games. He has no intangibles and is really only good at skating in one direction and then falling down. Excited to see which of our young guys will inevitably take his spot.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#11 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,375 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:33 AM

POPULAR

Letting Lappy go is plain retarded. Less center depth and ta-ta to our most physical forward.
Posted Image

#12 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:38 AM

I think the reality of trading booth will be low granted his last season, may as well cross that off the list of possibilities. You haven't read anything to support that trade possibility..?

Exactly. He probably was suggesting the Canucks trade Ballard for a 2nd round pick recently too. No team will trade for Booth just like no team would trade for Ballard. IF Booth went on waivers tomorrow he would clear.

Booth is an important player for the Canucks if they will have any success this year but right now the Canucks just have to "pray" he will have a better season.

Actually putting Booth on waivers is a move I would do If I was the GM of the Canucks right now. You can always hope someone is dumb enough to pick him up.

Edited by gradin123, 04 July 2013 - 12:39 AM.

#13 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:39 AM

We currently have $7,497,222 in cap space. Trade Booth as a cap dump to a team with a good amount of cap space

With the amount of buy-outs happening, I think its safe to say no teams are willing to trade assets for a guy with too high of a cap hit. Add in Booth's injury history and he loses even more value. He either stays or gets bought out, simply a function of the market and booth's history.

Bring Back the Totems!

#14 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,696 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:41 AM

This team is going with youth. Guys like Lain, Gaunce, and Schroeder will get their chance to show what they've got.

Yea it sucks that Lappy is leaving, but this team needs to fill more important holes, and frankly Lapierre's constant yapping is one of the reasons we're hated by the refs.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#15 pibroch

pibroch

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:43 AM

Good, it's time to let some prospects step up.

#16 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:48 AM

no one wants booth, we can't trade that yucky contract
Posted Image

#17 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,186 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:51 AM

Right now, the Canucks have about 7.5 mil to fill 7 roster spots (16/23). Signing Tanev, Weise and Lapierre at the contracts you stated leave them with about 3.3 mil to spend on 4 more players. The Canucks don't have much cap space at all.

Why does everyone think teams are willing to pounce on acquiring Booth? It ain't happening, especially since he's still on a multi-year deal. There are better options out there to fill the cap void plus pretty much every team except the Jets and Isles are going to be at the cap floor quite easily (but the Jets and Isles have a ridiculous amount of roster slots to fill up).

Edited by TheEhrhoffEffect, 04 July 2013 - 12:52 AM.

#18 J529

J529

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:53 AM

Since Gillis isn't going to be active in FA, how is he going to be "bold", guess that means trade route.

They need to sign Parros. He won't cost alot. Don't care what anyone says, we need toughness and he brings it.

Frack Sestito or whoever else they think addresses toughness area.

#19 Cold Hard Truth

Cold Hard Truth

Comets Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:54 AM

Raymond and Lapierre gone....hallalujah!! Thank christ.

I would take AHLberts back if he came back nastier.
<p>"If you can't beat them in the alley , you won't beat them on the ice." ~ Conn Smythe

#20 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,543 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:54 AM

Sucks Lappy is likely gone but oh well, I think Lain is ready for that role and it would be nice to finally have some prospects on the club. Right now I guess this is what we are looking at:

Daniel - Henrik - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian
Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen
Sestito - Lain - Weise

Hamhuis - Garrison
Edler - Bieksa
Corrado - Tanev

Luongo
Lack/Ericsson

*Note, part of the lineup (D-pairs & wingers) is interchangeable. Just throwing this out as an estimate.

zackass.png

#21 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,696 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:56 AM

We need at least another top 6 player. We can hope Booth stays healthy and becomes that guy, but if he doesn't we're right back with the same problems we had this year. No scoring.

Changing the coach and expecting we'll all of a sudden score in the playoffs is a bit hopeful I think. It's not AV's coaching that was the problem for scoring, it was the personnel. We didn't have nearly enough depth. And I'm not sure if putting rookies in key top 6 roles is gonna solve that problem.

One more top 6 and filling in the rest of the holes with youth is what we need to do IMO.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#22 Dr. Hockey

Dr. Hockey

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:58 AM

No more Mason Raymond drinking game. :-(

#23 Dr. Hockey

Dr. Hockey

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:58 AM

No more Mason Raymond drinking game. :-(

#24 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:59 AM

Having the same roster as last season doesn't help...somethings gotta be done to shake things up.

Edited by nux4lyfe, 04 July 2013 - 01:19 AM.

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#25 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:03 AM

Booth ruined the team <_<

We definitely would be much better off without him

Zf3XIDB.png

Sig by: Samuel Påhlsson

#26 J529

J529

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:03 AM

Booth needs to go. Overrated and injury prone. What an idiot Gillis was acquiring this clown and his huge contract. He's useless. Money he's taking up, could be used so much better elsewhere.

Edited by J529, 04 July 2013 - 01:04 AM.

#27 iinatcc

iinatcc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:11 AM

Booth needs to go. Overrated and injury prone. What an idiot Gillis was acquiring this clown and his huge contract. He's useless. Money he's taking up, could be used so much better elsewhere.

Agreed especially now where the buy outs are giving opportunity to get some good players. Seems like it's only Booth's cap hit that is in the way. Can the Waivers happen like what nux4lyfe said?

Edited by iinatcc, 04 July 2013 - 01:12 AM.

#28 Mighty Walrus

Mighty Walrus

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:12 AM

Resign Alberts please. He was our only physical presence on defence.

#29 Cold Hard Truth

Cold Hard Truth

Comets Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:14 AM

Canucks need to add some bite.

Edler + Hansen+ Schroeder for Wayne Simmonds +Couts +Cobourn

i wish our team looked something like this

Sedin-Sedin-W.Simmonds
Booth-Kesler-Kassian
Higgins-Couterier-Burrows
Sestito-Lain-Parros

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Tanev-Garrison
AHlberts-Cobourn

Edited by Cold Hard Truth, 04 July 2013 - 01:15 AM.

<p>"If you can't beat them in the alley , you won't beat them on the ice." ~ Conn Smythe

#30 J529

J529

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:15 AM

Agreed especially now where the buy outs are giving opportunity to get some good players. Seems like it's only Booth's cap hit that is in the way. Can the Waivers happen like what nux4lyfe said?

Booth is still injured. That's why he can't be bought out right now. I would imagine he can't be put on waivers either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.