The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey in Utica....again

Utica Fan

I'll tell you what the reception will be like for the Comets. The Abbotsford Arena will be full-up sold out...and the Comets will be the "home team". Abbotsford went to the Flames for their AHL affiliate and frankly...it's been a thorn in our side for far too long. So Utica will be the only team that I believe will have two "home" arenas. Canuck/Comets fans will outnumber Heat fans in that arena.

Glad to hear the Comets will have a "home crowd" when they head up to Abbotsford. We need the support! Because the Comets, and the Canucks for that matter, are all new to the Utica community, I am trying to learn as much as I can about the Canucks organization. I have taken the time to read through a lot of the message boards to "read up" on the Canucks. I can see that they have a die-hard fan base. Being on the east coast, the only exposure we had to the Canucks, before the Comets came here, was mostly on the CKWS "late game" on Saturday nights or during the playoffs. I, personally, am a Devil's fan. Sorry to expose that here. Why? Well, the Devil's were the last team to call Utica home. I've always been a hockey fan, usually following the "Habs" (again, sorry). When the Devils starting play in Utica back in 1987, it was a new and great experience for us to see a player one night in Utica (Marty Brodeur) and watch him on TV the next. That's how I got to be a Devil's fan. I'd like to say, however, that I have ALWAYS been a Canucks fan, albeit, for 2 games a year....when they played the Rangers. ::D I have favor to ask anyone out there who will be attending the Abbotsford/Utica game: Please post a picture of the crowd. I'd love to see that. Also, I've read in some previous posts here that there is a chance of Utica and Abbotsford swapping franchises (cities). Can anyone elaborate on that "rumor"? A source from the Comets says they WILL be in Utica for 6 years. I can see why Abbotsford would be the logical choice for the Canucks farm team. It would make the call ups so much easier, to say the least. At least your Canucks organization is saving a ton of money on travel costs by having their farm team in Utica. Can't say that about the Flames. Abbotsford has no bus trips. frequent flier miles I hope. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to take a moment to wish all of you, on behalf of the Utica Comets fans here in Utica and central NY, a VERY Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday Season. It has been a pleasure to get to know you through this forum. I am very thankful that we can share our passion and enthusiasm for Canucks and Comets hockey even though we are 3 time zones apart. Wishing all of you a healthy, safe and prosperous New Year!

I just wanted to take a moment to wish all of you, on behalf of the Utica Comets fans here in Utica and central NY, a VERY Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday Season. It has been a pleasure to get to know you through this forum. I am very thankful that we can share our passion and enthusiasm for Canucks and Comets hockey even though we are 3 time zones apart. Wishing all of you a healthy, safe and prosperous New Year!

Great post and Merry Christmas from another fan in Utica.

Right back at ya man, cheers.

Have a good one Utica Fan and lets hope the Comets repay your support

Comets 2013 -'14 ...in review so far.

Just read that after the dis-heartening 0-10-0 start... which was predictable as the team was made from scratch - with new coaching staff, new systems & having to scramble to fill a roster with new players from all over.....they have now gone 10-7-0. That's a signifigant up-swing! The Comets have already bested the league-leading Abbotsford Heat in every one of their meetings so far this season...home & away! I think the future is looking very bright for the Utica Comets!

Joaquim Eriksson,....took some time to adjust to the smaller North American ice-surface...but now he's in VAN to back-up Eddie Lack as Luongo recovers from a mystery ailment. I hope Cannata can also stay strong between the pipes for the Comets & hold the the fort untill Eriksson returns.

Frankie Corrado is one of my favorite Canuck's prospects. Many felt he should have made the Canucks roster out of training camp...but now we can see how playing big minutes & gaining more confidence in the AHL - has given him even more poise to lean upon in the future. Canucks' young D Chris Tavev prepared himself in the AHL....now he's stepping-in as a top-Line D-man & stays cool as a cucumber. I'm also looking forward to seeing if Alexandre Grenier can score NHL goals - if given a look in VAN.

Comets' players will need to develop team foot-speed, tenacity on the puck, & some more mental & physical toughness...before they can compete successfully in the new Pacific Division of the NHL. I hope Travis Green proves to be an extra-ordinary teacher. If he does...it won't be long before the Comets are nearing loftier heights in the AHL rankings. Good fortune to all! Hopin' hockey-fans in both Utica & VAN...get to see way more victorious nights for the balance of the season in 2014.

Go Canucks Go! :canucks:

Go Comets Go! :towel:

Agreed. I (we) have seen this team do a total transformation over the past month and a half. This team has had time to play together and the lines are starting to play as a team. They are still in the AHL basement, BUT, they are NOT the same team that put them there...if that makes sense. The losses are not blow-outs, they are usually by 1 goal. I like the way they have come together as a team. I am usually a optimistic person, so my hopes for the playoffs this season are very slim. I would be very happy just to see a .500 record, which, I believe, is very realistic. Just very happy to have Hockey in Utica...again.

It's tough to say right now sense tonight will be the first opportunity to see them play on home ice. I think Archibald will likely be an early fan favorite as he looks like he plays with a lot of passion and he seems to be one of the guys that is comfortable on the camera for local news interviews.

I think a lot of fans were impressed here in Vancouver while he was here on his call up. How easy is it to follow Vancouver games out side the net?

Agreed. I (we) have seen this team do a total transformation over the past month and a half. This team has had time to play together and the lines are starting to play as a team. They are still in the AHL basement, BUT, they are NOT the same team that put them there...if that makes sense. The losses are not blow-outs, they are usually by 1 goal. I like the way they have come together as a team. I am usually a optimistic person, so my hopes for the playoffs this season are very slim. I would be very happy just to see a .500 record, which, I believe, is very realistic. Just very happy to have Hockey in Utica...again.

I have been Canucks fan from day one and let me tell you there were some seasons that were forgettable nightmares where losing wasn't even the worst part. But over time a team will grow with the right people in charge and I think Utica fans can trust the parent club to build the franchise for success.

Patience. We in Vancouver are still being patient for the CUP. It will come. Just like in Utica.

I think a lot of fans were impressed here in Vancouver while he was here on his call up. How easy is it to follow Vancouver games out side the net?

I can occasionally find a Vancouver game on the NHL network or Hockey Night in Canada on my local Time Warner Cable. I don't pay for the Center Ice package so the majority of the games are not available to me on TV. I've also watched a couple of games streamed on the computer from the "free streaming" sites but the video quality isn't fantastic.....similar to the AHL Live video quality.

Glad to hear that you guys are finally getting to see some good hockey. Next year is looking even better for Utica, what with some of the jr prospects coming up to play.

The future looks bright for the Utica Comets! :towel:

As long as there is hockey in Utica, the future will always be bright. I am a fan of the GAME, not just a "fair weather fan" who only cheers on a team that wins. In my opinion, from reading about the Canucks struggles in years past, I always look for the positive in everything. So, I take comfort with this thought: Utica has gone 20 years without a AHL franchise. Watching a struggling team is far better than having no team to watch at all. It's a new team, with new players, coaches and staff. It's fun to watch them grow together as a team. As for following the Canucks, the only exposure I had to Canucks hockey, before the Comets, was to catch the "late game" on CKWS on Saturday nights (love to see what kind of suit Don Cherry has worn next, you just got to love the guy) and during the playoffs when it seemed the Canucks were always on the late game. I never really followed them EXCEPT for when they played the Rangers. I was a HUGE Canuck fan in 94. In fact, ALL Devil's fans became Canuck fans for 2 weeks then. I almost bought a Bure jersey just to P/O my neighbor. By the way I'm glad they dumped those brown/yellow colors. I have to say, honestly, that it's been fun learning about the Canucks this year. You folks here are VERY TRUE to your team. I enjoy reading the insight about your team, from a fans perspective. Keep it up, TRUE fans are what makes hockey THE BEST SPORT, EVER!

I too try to watch the Canucks whenever possible. Sometime catch them on ckws, the Canadian feed we get on our local cable network. It's fun following the big club again....I used to do the same thing when we had the Utica devils.

I'm so happy we have quality hockey again in Utica. I think right now the goal is to try and get to .500 before the season ends. Also, developing players for when the big club needs help.

Amen Comet Fan 0727. I did the same when the Devil's called Utica home. That's how I became a Devils fan. It was fun following the guys from Utica to NJ. Seeing Marty Brodeur play as a rookie here in Utica...priceless. Now, I get to share that with my kids. Seeing the boys get the call up to Vancouver brings back some good memories. Good times again in Utica.

Archived