The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Booth

vcrguy

Yeah, I haven't seen a "Booth is overpaid" topic either.

It's just a known fact. There is no discussion here, though it is mentioned in every thread where his name comes up.

It's not like the Ballard situation where he was never given a chance because of AV and there was discussion there.

In Booth's case, he's been injured a lot, got super rusty, and has never played as well as he did when he did deserve that contract. We have Booth because MG was hoping he'd get a steal of a player for that contract. Could have worked if he didn't get injured so many times since we got him.

Booth's situation is unfortunate for both the team, and Booth himself. He has no trade value, and we can't buy him out until the summer. We just have to hope we get as much as we can out of him, and he happens to be on the 3rd line because he's being outplayed by... pretty much everybody but the 4th liners.

Hard to put up 60 points when you are playing on the 3rd line with zero PP time. On Florida, he was the go-to guy on a line with Horton and Wiess. He was brought in to play with Kesler, but as we've discovered, playing with Kesler is not very easy.

If people want to complain his cap hit is too high, fair enough, but when people come on here saying that he isnt doing anything out , they are clearly not watching the game closely. Booth is one of the few players always finishing his hits, always backchecking, always covering the D-man when they decide to pinch, is always the first forward back in our zone covering the centermans spot, and drives the net hard when he does get the puck. I do realize that he is getting paid to score as well and hopefully he does start, but he has been a solid player or us so far.

This. Booth has been one of the most consistent forwards for the Canucks thus far. If he keeps up his strong defensive play, good play along the boards, and driving the net, the goals will come.

Booth is fine, he's been playing well, just not getting those 4.5 million dollar numbers. Calm down and be patient he's coming back from injury. The season is long and we all know its just warm up for spring anyways. He could get 30 points all season, and if come playoffs he turns into a point a game guy or a clutch goal scorer he's worth it.

The question is.. How serious of a push do you want to make? Booth isn't playing bad, he's just not playing like a 4 mill player. So you can not trade him for value. You could perhaps dump his cap but you would take back some salary or maybe a smaller cap dump.

Now even if you managed to get rid of him and barely take any cap back you think dope, I got 4 million in cap space to play with, I can really load up!! But how are you going to load up?

Shinkaruk and Hansen for vanek?

The problem is, even if you dump him, you gotta still give to get. We got lucky last year and only gave up connaughton and 2nd. This year I say we stay the course with booth. Loading up with this years uncertainty could be a detrimental blow to this organizations future. We can't afford to cough up one of our top prospects to replace him. Also If we keep him he's still got a chance to break out if his funk.

If were just steam rolling through San Jose and numerous top teams bu the 30 game mark, then go for it... but as it sits now I'm not cool with moving him at a loss and then coughing up tons to get a major improvement.

I can't agree with those that preach patients for Booth, regardless of injuries he's had his chance, time to except him for what he is. When this current contract expires here, he's going to be lucky to sign a PTO with a NHL team.

How long has he been here now? and I can probably count his good shifts on one hand let alone his good games.

I searched the site for a similar thread but couldn't find one (surprisingly), so hopefully this one can remain open for discussion and unlocked.

I don't understand what the obsession with Booth here is. At his cap hit, I really believe he's extremely overpaid. I would much rather have another Hansen, Santorelli, Mayson Raymond or Brendan Morrow, or about a dozen other players.

Just to put his value in perspective, of the three players named below, two of which make much less than him, what one player would you cut of the three if you had to right now:

Hansen

Santorelli

Booth

I'm very curious.............

Very subjective question. You compare Booth to two of our recently better players just to make yourself "sound better". If there was an issue with cap space we wouldn't have all 3 players in the lineup at the same time.

I'm curious, how much time do you spend trying to make everything sound bad?

1. Booth signed the contract after being top 20 in even strength points in the entire NHL over two seasons.

2. He hasn't really had much opportunity due to bad luck and injuries. He tends to start of slow and pick it up. Even his first year here he had a stretch where he was our best player before getting injured again.

3. Small sample size, low minutes and weak linemates past two seasons. He has put up good corsi and physical numbers. While his point totals aren't there over time he should be able to produce given his effort and output over a stretch of games.

Booth is statistically one of the most unlucky players in the league. If he can get a stretch of non bad luck I think he would be the exact type of player we need - 20 goal power forward playing 3rd line minutes.

Booth has lost a step. Haven't seen him walk a Dman wide in almost 2 years. But like many other posters have said. He has no trade value and all we can do is let him play and hope to god he gets better as the year progresses. Heck throw him with the Sedins for a game.

Put yourself in his shoes. You try to play like you did before after having an injury. Most likely, you would lose a step too, but you would also know that with time and patience you could get back to the way you were before.

Look at a player like Patrice Bergeron. He was injury plagued. It took him a while to get back to form, yet he overcame.

As far as value goes, I have one word of advice: Don't assume.

Booth's fine.

Just to put his value in perspective, of the three players named below, two of which make much less than him, what one player would you cut of the three if you had to right now:

Booth Santorelli Hansen

Better question: why not line all three of these guys up? I think they could make a decent 3rd line.

Santorelli's been playing on the PK and has been solid on that (and on draws); their speed makes them good on the forecheck, and all three (even Booth... :shock:) has played solidly on defense. Booth and Santo have chemistry from Florida, and all three work off the rush (and shoot a lot-- heck, Santo got a goal recently by going to the net hard and tipping pucks home in Calgary, if I'm not mistaken). This unit could work well.

Higgins - Hank - Burr

Daniel - Kes - Kassian

Booth - Santo - Hansen

How bout we stop the constant bashing of our players and support them. He has been constantly injured and never has had an opportunity to get back to his former self. You guys will hate on him and call for a trade. Then when gmmg does trade or buy him out and he finds his form with another team you will all call for mgs head for getting rid of him. Remember how hard power forwards are to get? Well how bout we support the one we have thru his tough times and let him blossom when we need it the most! Wouldn't it be nice to get some support from your teams fans. This is why every other team thinks were the worst fan base. You guys did the exact same thing with mason Raymond and his injury! A broken freaking back, and now you want him back.

Agreed 100%.

Now you all LOOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEE Raymond.

Merely just 6 months ago, you all hated him, wanted him to be traded, called him a plug.

This just isn't fair to MG,

He brings in a player= you guys hate him

He doesn't trade a player= you guys hate him

He trades a player= you guys hate him

He picks a player in the draft= you guys say he should of selected someone else (funny thing is that some would have criticized him for picking Nichuskin too)

He doesn't buy out a player= "Overpaid" would gotten more cap space! (if he did buy him out, most of you would have been sitting here how we should of kept booth and needing secondary offence)

MUST suck being a GM, I'd rather you guys stick to NHL 14.

I don't like MG, I'm not his supporter (see recent posts), but I want you guys to think how it would suck to be in his shoes.

How bout we stop the constant bashing of our players and support them. He has been constantly injured and never has had an opportunity to get back to his former self. You guys will hate on him and call for a trade. Then when gmmg does trade or buy him out and he finds his form with another team you will all call for mgs head for getting rid of him. Remember how hard power forwards are to get? Well how bout we support the one we have thru his tough times and let him blossom when we need it the most! Wouldn't it be nice to get some support from your teams fans. This is why every other team thinks were the worst fan base. You guys did the exact same thing with mason Raymond and his injury! A broken freaking back, and now you want him back.

Couple things - booth isn't really young (28) and I don't see how much more blossoming you can seriously expect. Booth hasn't impressed since he signed... I hope he has a great season, but so far he just hasn't been very good. Step behind, lost in defensive positioning, not the player he can be... If he didn't show flashes of greatness it wouldn't be such a bitter pill to swallow.

Now, Raymond. I don't think any intelligent hockey fans "want him back". So he's had a good 6 games on the leafs 3rd line? Good for him. Maybe his super fast perimeter skating, soft play and blind passes from behind the net will work in the east , but not here and he's never coming back. Raymond wasn't some hero until his back got broken, he's been on the fans trade block for years, and rightfully so. 18 points in 55 playoff games is enough of a test sample to figure out we. Don't. Need. Him.

As far as worst fan base, we haven't thrown waffles at our goaltender, or chanted. "Fire Alain" 6 games into a season... Every fan base has heroes and heels, and they complain about players as much (or more) than we do.

Archived