The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

10 games in, time for a little perspective.

DeNiro

Seriously? Stop whining.

I think Jersey is looking for new additions to their fan base, or even the Sabres. I'm sure they will welcome you with open arms.

Calm down a fan is allowed to regret a trade their team makes.i'm sure the majority of fans are feeling the sting of those trades. Lets be honest we lost the sabers one but I honestly think in time we won the new jersey one. With the hodgson one we could have.

Sedin sedin burrows

Booth hodgson kesler

Higgins santorelli hansen

Welsh richardson weise

Much better line up...

Calm down a fan is allowed to regret a trade their team makes.i'm sure the majority of fans are feeling the sting of those trades. Lets be honest we lost the sabers one but I honestly think in time we won the new jersey one. With the hodgson one we could have.

Sedin sedin burrows

Booth hodgson kesler

Higgins santorelli hansen

Welsh richardson weise

Much better line up...

Agreed - but there are people here that feel that no true fan should ever say anything bad - even when true or their interpretation/ opinion.

They were forced into the Schneider trade because of Luongo's contract and I suspect got far less in return than they would have liked.

Good thread, but I think we need 20 games to get an accurate read. Particularly with Lu, he needs 10 starts to get rollin'.

Another aspect worth mentioning goes beyond the roster. It's the team's future. We finally have a handfull of prospects worth keeping an eye on. Probably we'll have 2 or 3 at the WJ's. Also our new farm team, to better develop the young guys.

The Aquilini's are sinking some money into this operation; in time we should receive some nice dividends from the investment. Such organizations(with $ & a plan) can usually stay in the upper echelons for a longer period. I'd say MG is steering in that direction.

Great thread, it's nice to see someone who's not pushing the panic button.

All in all, we haven't looked bad at all. Yesterday could have been better, we had a ton of shots but more of them could have been quality shots. But even then, it was essentially a 2-1 loss. And I feel I've seen more complete efforts during the last ten games than I've seen the last couple years. It's nice, especially given the fact we usually start slowly. We're not running out of the gate like Pittsburgh, San Jose, or a few other teams, but we're certainly not limping out like we usually do. Torts is still adjusting to the West, and we're still adjusting to the system. I look forward to seeing how the guys progress.

Agreed - but there are people here that feel that no true fan should ever say anything bad - even when true or their interpretation/ opinion.

They were forced into the Schneider trade because of Luongo's contract and I suspect got far less in return than they would have liked.

Yea everytime I especially hate the fact that everyone loved hodgson then as soon as he got traded the majority changed to completely hating him. He apparently went from a great guy with leadership qualities to being an arrogent punk who is a daddy's boy. News flash people hodgson's dad wouldn't have signed cody for so little money for 6 years. That was his choice. He is a great player who moved on from our team we should wish the best for hodgson he was all class. Mg really threw him under the bus thats all.

.500 hockey

The club does not make the playoffs at this rate.

Besides,Edmonton(whom have not made the playoffs in a decade) the Canucks have the worst GA in the conference and only Florida and Edmonton are worse in the entire NHL.

I think it is time to accept what it is until it isn't any more.

Look at Detroit's record and compare because that is what we thought we should emulate not so very long ago.

.500 hockey

Besides,Edmonton(whom have not made the playoffs in a decade) the Canucks have the worst GA in the conference and only Florida and Edmonton are worse in the entire NHL.

Look at Detroit's record and compare because that is what we thought we should emulate not so very long ago.

.500 hockey

You really have missed the point in the OP haven't you. I hope your negativity towards this team doesn't bleed into your real life.

Also yeah lets look at Detroit. We're one OT goal off their record. They lose that game in hand they have and it's a pretty close comparison don't you think? No, of course you don't.

Even though 20 is a better measure, where they are in the standings already is of a concern: 13th overall with every team above them with at least one game in hand (as many as three).

I agree 20 is a better measure. For me I'm not concerned or excited until the Christmas break. But putting it into perspective make that OTL a win instead and we're 10th or take a loss and make it a win and the team is 5th. Stuff like that is why I don't care at 10 games. When one game can make that much of a jump in the standings I have a hard time understanding the doom and gloomers or the plan the paraders. Is paraders a word? is gloomers?

Also

November 23rd can't come soon enough.

Good post Deniro.

But I was never worried about how this team or the twins would start the season, or about the twins scoring at their regular clip from the months of October - February.

What I have been concerned about for a long time is who the heck on this team is going to score when March comes around and the playoffs are in sight, and when real playoff teams start to tighten up defensively focussing specifically on shutting down the twins.

There have been some positive signs in the first 10 games, but I'm still not convinced that guys like Santorelli and Richardson are going to be the difference makers and give us the secondary scoring we've clearly missed the last few years. If they don't, and our power play woes continue, we'll once again be crossing our fingers, holding our breath, and hoping beyond hope that the usual suspects can get it together in time for the playoffs.

We know the guys...that Kes goes into beast mode, that Booth finds his game and can pop in a goal or two for that $4.5 Mill he's getting paid, that Kass can actually make a contribution at this level, that Hansen & Higgy don't develop those hands of stone they usually get down the stretch and into the playoffs.

I guess my point is that it's still really early, the twins will always get their points, and the question of whether we have real depth of secondary scoring to prove that this year will be different from the last 3 seasons will only be answered when the games really start to count.

My main worry this season was if the Sedin's would play well or continue to slow down.

Henrik looks amazing out there. Some amazing passes, more impressed with him than last year already.

Daniel is still playing good, but he does seem to be slowing down a bit. Same with Kesler. Hopefully they can feed off each other and improve their play since they are on the same line (for now) with Henrik.

I think it's beneficial to both Daniel and Kesler to play together.

I hope your negativity towards this team doesn't bleed into your real life.

lso yeah lets look at Detroit. We're one OT goal off their record. They lose that game in hand they have and it's a pretty close comparison don't you think? No, of course you don't.

Since it is one am on Bali and nobody noticed I will correct the stats:

Detroit is second in their conference and first in their division with a .667 winning percentage.

Vancouver is a single point above .500 and are currently out of the playoffs in 9th position with more game(s) played against ALL of their opposition,that being the entire conference.

I would list the GA record again but suffice to say 27th or 28th in the NHL is not where Detroit ranks.

Good post.

Sedins at normal rate is good. Burrows coming back will help out on the secondary scoring side.

Wouldn't put too much emphasis on our standings just now... same last few years, as pointed out.

All we need is to get into play offs and hopefully past round one, and then who knows...

I see a better level of compete out of this team than last year. More depth as well. I like the 20 game point as well it is 1/4 of the season. The big issue leading up to that point is maintaining point production as to not fall out of contention. Bottom line is that the Pacific is probably the toughest division so the Canucks will have constant pressure.

Facts were never your strong suit.

Detroit is second in their division with a .667 winning percentage.

Vancouver is a single point above .500 and are currently out of the playoffs in 9th position with more game(s) played against ALL of their opposition,that being the entire conference.

I would list the GA record again but suffice to say 27th in the NHL is not where Detroit ranks.

Ummm... the playoffs aren't done by conference anymore.

It's true they are currently out of the playoffs, but it's because they are 5th in the Pacific.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/the-explainer-new-nhl-playoff-seeding-format-1.1871216

Archived