The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ten Canucks poised for career years

Everybody Hates Raymond

Your expectations are pathetic.

You expect him to whip out 30-40 points while playing in the 3rd/4th line?

No. I'd expect him to play himself onto a top 6 role. With Burrows out, it was a perfect opportunity for Kassian to seize the opportunity and prove that he can play with the team's best players. The reason he's on the 3rd or 4th lines is because his play doesn't warrant him getting to play anywhere else

There's a grace period, a getting used to each other thing...and I think the players and Torts are starting to understand one another. He demands and they are buying in. And it's not all points...playing good D, a smart and tough penalty kill has killed...what? Its last 15 or so? A shortie last night as well...Go Nucks!!!

No. I'd expect him to play himself onto a top 6 role. With Burrows out, it was a perfect opportunity for Kassian to seize the opportunity and prove that he can play with the team's best players. The reason he's on the 3rd or 4th lines is because his play doesn't warrant him getting to play anywhere else

Got an epic 2nd line going that is dominant against most teams' 1st lines? Bitch about a guy with 112 games not playing his way up to the second line already. Jesus CDC, just....my God. :picard:

Kass has just started to figure things out while playing with Booth and his points totals are going to climb, just as Kes and the Sedins' numbers will since the power play is now figured out. (Kass by the way is on pace for 19 points, not 16 and last game earned his way onto the 2nd PP unit). The inability to look at context on this board makes me wonder how some people here feed themselves.

Another positive message. With they way they are playing, there is no way Welse only gets 2 pts and Dalpe will definitely end up on the scoring sheet eventually. Our 4th line is corsi'ing it up right now. But yes, I enjoy the career high play a lot of players are having right now.

If Kassian can grab 30 point this season playing mostly bottom six minutes, I'd be happy. 16 points is great too I guess but for a player who we expect to be in our top six in the next couple years, I really do hope he finds his offensive game quickly while playing little minutes

Kass netting 15 goals with the limited time he gets would be fantastic. He would be in the top 20 in the league for goal scored per 60min of ice time.

Where in the top six would you put him? The second line has been amazing, there is no way they're getting broken up and even though the Sedins haven't been producing that much Torts isn't going to throw Kass up there without him playing great for more than a couple games in a row. At this stage of his career Kassian is an ideal third liner, he can be physical while learning good defensive play and gain offensive confidence by popping in somewhere around 15 goals a year. Your expectation that Kassian can instantly jump into the top-six and consistently produce at this stage of his career is asking too much. I would be happy if he spends 1 or 2 more seasons on the third line with moderate offensive production, after a couple seasons there then we can start to have top six level offensive expectations.

Beiksa has been one of our top d men for years now, IMO. Santorelli is the most impressive so far, especially to for what he's signed for.

He was one of our top-4 for many years now but this season he has brought himself to a new level, I'm loving it. I know people here rave about a pmd(Puck Moving Defenseman) but I think Bieksa can be one. He has good speed, hands, breakout etc

He was one of our top-4 for many years now but this season he has brought himself to a new level, I'm loving it. I know people here rave about a pmd(Puck Moving Defenseman) but I think Bieksa can be one. He has good speed, hands, breakout etc

In all honesty people who rave about PMD, or two way D, or offensive D, or Defensive D, or Gritty D. I don;t think most of them know what they are talking about anyways,

By definition Bieksa has been a shutdown D for 3 1/2 years, an offensive D for 6ish years, a great PMD and Gritty D for most of his career. Very rarely can you simply say "X is a Y type defenseman" because every season is situational for them and the best D play however they are needed at that time.

But yes I agree I think Bieksa can be a great PMD and honestly he already has been.

Only last night, I noticed that Dale Weise is leading the Canucks in even strength scoring productivity (5v5 points/60). Yeah, that's right, he's #1 on the team. He's also in the top-30 in the entire NHL.

The whole website at stats.hockeyanalysis.com is currently down (so I can't check the numbers right now) but IIRC, Weise sits at #25 in the entire NHL with 2.45 points/60.

I knew he was playing well and making the most of his limited minutes but damn, that's pretty impressive. He's basically producing even strength scoring at the same rate as guys like Malkin and P. Kane.

EDIT: behindthenet.ca has Weise at #42 in the NHL and 2.32 points/60.

I'm pretty sure stats.hockeyanalysis had Weise higher than that.

Normally, behindthenet.ca is the definitive source for advanced stats but with 5v5 points/60, when I've checked individual numbers in the past, stats.hockeyanalysis.com was more accurate.

Regardless of whether it's #25 or #42 in the NHL, and 2.45 or 2.32 points/60, it's still very impressive. Basically, over limited minutes (less than 9:00 TOI/G), Dale Weise is producing even strength points like an elite 1st liner.

At the very least he's still improving despite 4th/3rd line minutes

Hard to do anything on the 4th line, I agree. But he belongs on the third line. He is not a top 6 forward.

If he continues to develop his game, he can be a solid 15-20 goal scorer who can hit and intimidate people. That's always been my expectation of Zach but some still believe he's gonna be a top 6 , power forward, Bertuzzi like player. I dont see it.

I hate to be negative here but:

Zack Kassian - currently on pace for 16 points

That's pathetic.

The fact that he is on pace for 17 goals while getting 3rd line minutes makes it quite a bit better. Not good enough, but I think him putting in a consistent effort and taking the body hard and fighting etc is more important than his current production.

How many other players in NHL history have been paid league minimum and have done what Santorelli has done so far this year? Potentially 56 points for $550K is insane.

not to say santo is not impressive, but around ten years ago martin st louis put up 35 and 40 points with tampa bay but made half as much as santo. He was making less than 2M when he had his 70 and 94 pts season.

but back to what you mention, santo is hell of a bargain. I hope he followed similar path as st louis to be a player who was misused by previous teams

i also like the stanton move just as much, not because of his salary, but we literally did not give up anything to get him. Most of canucks fans never heard of him. I remembered some CDCers even said at the time MG picked him up just to have some fun on waivers.

Archived