The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ten Canucks poised for career years

Everybody Hates Raymond

All in all, I'm incredibly impressed and happy with this team and can't wait to see just how good they're going to be when Edler, Burrows and Schroeder mesh into this lineup. Torts' system is finally clicking. The powerplay, after two long years of being dormant, may have started this season abysmally... BUt it finally started to click - and low and behold, the Canucks have won 7 straight with 9 powerplay goals in 11 games, in addition to their record breaking penalty kill. And with some legitimate top tier prospects on the way like Shinkaruk and Horvat...

The future looks so bright we're going to need sunglasses.

Tortorella is proving that offense and a dynamic game are not sacrifices for defense. AV couldn't get that.

I guess it helps when your two best players are now your two best penalty killers.

I find it incredible we have so many players playing some of the best hockey of their careers and yet we're still just barely clinging to 6th in the West. Not to mention we've been the hottest team in the NHL the last dozen or so games. It just goes to show how ridiculously hard the West is this year.

I'm glad to see many of these players doing well though. If we do ever win a cup in the near future, it'll be off the backs of our grinders and secondary scorers. If history is any indicator we can't solely rely on the Sedins to score.

Surprised how few assists Kassian has considering his passing is one of his better assets IMO.

Playing on the 4th line a lot of the year will do that, but I agree, it is strange even in that context. When the rest of his game is ready for a top 6 assignment, I expect his assist total to equal or exceed his goals, because he is an excellent passer with good vision. There aren't many players out there with his skill-set so it's just a question of getting the defensive and positional side of his game up to speed.

Kassian's play without the puck has improved almost 100% and that is what we asked him to do this year. We know he can score but that isn't his main job this season. It's to improve defensively and he's not looking so lost out there any more.

He may not be putting up solid points yet but the goals he's scored have been at pretty clutch momentum changing times. He's not being asked to dominate the scoreboard yet but he's still contributing when we really need him to.

The kid is doing just fine and is well on his way to earning torts trust. He'll be a top six force in a couple years, he's just still got some work to put in yet.

I find it incredible we have so many players playing some of the best hockey of their careers and yet we're still just barely clinging to 6th in the West. Not to mention we've been the hottest team in the NHL the last dozen or so games. It just goes to show how ridiculously hard the West is this year.

I'm glad to see many of these players doing well though. If we do ever win a cup in the near future, it'll be off the backs of our grinders and secondary scorers. If history is any indicator we can't solely rely on the Sedins to score.

Totally agree. I was thinking the same thing last night. We're 10-1-1 in the last 12 and it's going to take this level and more to get into the playoffs. Glad Tortorella is forcing the players to take the season one game at a time in an effort to keep the divisional pressure off their shoulders.

In the end it's just making us a better team ... and a different team at that. There's been too much reliance on the Sedins to be the bulk of our offence when we've needed secondary guys to step up. So refreshing to see this come together.

Archived