The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Declined Kevin Bieksa for Alexander Steen

Strombone1

He's an overrated Defensemen because his character and toughness, yup clearly a reasonable response...

Just look at this thread. Everyone is praising him, not because of his play, but his character and toughness. He's overrated alright in a hockey world, but this is a Canucks forum. I know, i get it. A lot of people can't take their homer glasses off.

If we actually, take it back when Steen was a Leaf. Bieksa was struggling and making error after error, but people have just come to accept it because he's willing to fight. Throughout his career, he's been paired with the best defense man in the league in Mitchell and Hamhuis to help him yet he struggled often. Sure, he put up 40 points, but so did Brent Sopel.

Bieksa still needs to be paired with great defensive defense man, to make him better. Torts system is a hell lot simpler and will make Bieksa look better because they need to think less. This is why Dan Girardi is struggling with AV.

When it comes down to it. He's always been the number 4 guy on this team but like, Weber overrated because he is more flashy in terms of physicality and is a bit more vocal. People like, Don Cherry, think Bieska the first thing they think of the Canucks.

Steen is having an anomaly of a year. When the Sedins had their phenomenal year, they repeated that level of production the next year showing that it wasn't a fluke.

Unless Steen repeats this performance next year, or comes close to it, then this will be his Cheechoo year.

Bieksa may be overrated but what he brings, he brings consistently. You know what you'll get, good and bad, and the positives outweight the negatives.

Not to mention, that this supposed trade offer was years ago when Steen was on a different team.

Steen might be having a great year, and I think he's a really good player, but I also don't think people realize how important Bieksa is on our blueline. He might make some pretty boneheaded mistakes, but he's a very important piece and plays a really unique game.

People need to stop mentioning Jonathan Cheechoo. Cheechoo was actually a good player, and put up 28 goals in his first full NHL season without Thornton. What happened, was that he blew out his knees in the 06-07 playoffs. He was playing with an injury, and Hartnell went knee-on-knee and blew out Cheechoo's knees.

Any player who loses his speed, will fail to maintain a high level of play at the highest level.

It's too bad, there's little mention of it, this is the only link i can find:

http://www.battleofc...t-hartnell.html

nonetheless, the speedy and elusive Cheechoo became a slug afterwards.

Besides Steen is a completely different player. He can play in all situations.

Notice how reports like this trickle out when Van's doing better than slugs like the Leafs. Lame attempts to distract & detract from our very solid first half.

Every franchise prob has names come up in talks(over the freekin yrs), that today would surprise. Media should spend more time analyzing the brilliant succession of signings/deals our GM put together, especially last summer.

Glad KB's remained part of this team-decent player, but even moreso for his toughness & character.

love the way Bieksa's game is coming around, and like post #3 is the snarl on the teams blueline. steen is good but I have way more fun watching Bieksa when he is on his game

Can't think of a time when a team has won a hockey game cause they had more snarl than the other team. Goals win hockey games not "snarl" and Steen is on pace for over 50 goals. Are Rey and I the only ones who missed out on the Christmas crack that must be being passed around here?

Just look at this thread. Everyone is praising him, not because of his play, but his character and toughness. He's overrated alright in a hockey world, but this is a Canucks forum. I know, i get it. A lot of people can't take their homer glasses off.

If we actually, take it back when Steen was a Leaf. Bieksa was struggling and making error after error, but people have just come to accept it because he's willing to fight. Throughout his career, he's been paired with the best defense man in the league in Mitchell and Hamhuis to help him yet he struggled often. Sure, he put up 40 points, but so did Brent Sopel.

Bieksa still needs to be paired with great defensive defense man, to make him better. Torts system is a hell lot simpler and will make Bieksa look better because they need to think less. This is why Dan Girardi is struggling with AV.

When it comes down to it. He's always been the number 4 guy on this team but like, Weber overrated because he is more flashy in terms of physicality and is a bit more vocal. People like, Don Cherry, think Bieska the first thing they think of the Canucks.

No one is overestimating Bieksa in this thread. You on the other hand are underestimating Bieksa. Bieksa is playing well. Try watching more games other than the Jets games and you would see that.

Can't think of a time when a team has won a hockey game cause they had more snarl than the other team. Goals win hockey games not "snarl" and Steen is on pace for over 50 goals. Are Rey and I the only ones who missed out on the Christmas crack that must be being passed around here?

Like to point out the Canucks record over the last 5 years when Bieksa IS in the line up and when he ISN'T in the line up. Goal scoring is all well and good, but has Ovechkin or Marleau won again?

There is a reason we love BXA

So were all the fruits ignorant before changing their name or did changing their name make them ignorant?

Easy, easy.

On topic though, it's interesting info but I'm glad we didn't make the trade. Hindsight is 20/20, and KB3 has been pretty valuable to this hockey club.

You must not know how defence works...

As for the possible trade. I would'nt have done it then and not now. Bieksa is a leader and is a huge voice in the locker room. Henrik and Kes aren't exactly out spoken. Bieksa is probably our best two way defender. Tanev and Hammer are more shut down Garrison and Ed are more Offensive d-men. Because he is one of our leaders his mistakes are more under the microscope.

I don't know if Steen would've developed the same way here as he did in St Louis. Although AV's offensive system might of been good but he wouldn't be on pace for 40-50 goals in Torts system.

I'm of the mind that Steen wouldn't be the player he is today, if he wasn't on St. Louis. I believe the year he was traded, he was slotted into the 3rd line, I believe there top 9 was something like this:

McDonald-Tkachuk-Boyes

Perron-Berglund-Oshie

Steen-McClement-Backes

While the Canucks top 9 was:

Sedins-Burrows

Demitra-Sundin-Kesler

Raymond-Wellwood-Bernier

I think if Steen was traded to Vancouver his development would have been really similar to Raymond. A speedy scoring winger vs what he developed into in Stl. A scoring two-way forward who plays the point on PP.

Seriously? I understood why the Canucks said no at the time before Steen really reached his potential but to say you wouldn't trade Kevin "Giveaway" Bieksa for a guy whose scoring goals faster than anyone not named Ovechkin is just crazy.

save your breath, CDC's unconditional love for that sad excuse for a defenseman defies all logic.

I dont see Steen developing the same way he did in St. Louis. I'm very glad the Canucks kept Bieksa, he's a very key part of this team, and it would have left a huge hole on the blue line. Bieksa would be tearing it up in St. Louis and people would be crying because we have a 20 goal Steen.. If he even would hit that.

Archived