The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Lebrun] Canucks covet O'Reilly and will deal defense to aquire him

Southpop45

Caphits as we have known them will be unrecognizable within two years. 6.5 will be upper-middle class - guarantee that if Horvat pans out the way we hope, he'll be making that kind of money five years from now.

This is one of the rare rumours that really piques my interest. It's a very realistic trade imo. Edler & Hansen - I say that even though Hansen is my personal favourite player on the team, I can see the writing on the wall that he won't work out under Tortorella. I do wonder if the 'won't ask players to waive NTCs' will be the hill that Gillis dies on. If ownership is already planning to make a change in the summer, they can easily pressure him into forcing Edler's hand, then saving face with future UFAs with the firing.

Biggest problem here is that nothing can happen for about 6 weeks. That's a lot of time for this rumour to gestate and other teams to make changes to get in on the bidding. Well, we'll see.

O'Reilly is only 23 years old, so he's perfect for retooling the forward crop on this team. If we get O'Reilly on the 29th, it'll allow us to move Ryan Kesler to the first line and give us a really good scoring line.

Than we'll having the option to move Ryan Kesler in the offseason to another team for some young assets, getting a better return than they would on Alex Edler

Wait so the Canucks want to acquire another two-way defensive minded player?

O'Reilly will not fix the Canucks scoring woes, and a top six scoring forwards is much more needed than another two-way forward.

You obviously don't know much about O'Reilly.

22 year old excellent defensive center with big offensive potential that had a 55 point season as a 20 year old. Not too mention he's got decent size on him too at 6'0" 200lbs.

O'Reilly is only 23 years old, so he's perfect for retooling the forward crop on this team. If we get O'Reilly on the 29th, it'll allow us to move Ryan Kesler to the first line and give us a really good scoring line.

Than we'll having the option to move Ryan Kesler in the offseason to another team for some young assets, getting a better return than they would on Alex Edler

What I would do is keep Kesler and find a way to get both Kane and O'Reilly

Kane - O'Reilly - Kesler

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Higgins - Horvat - Burrows

Sestito - Richardson - Santorelli

A very quick rebuild that would put us right back in the mix of being contenders.

I dunno his cap hit is pretty big and will take $6.5mil to qualify him this summer. Is he really worth that?

of course he is, just look at it like this, instead of MG signing 2 plugs for 4+ million who contribute nothing we can get this guy

Wait so the Canucks want to acquire another two-way defensive minded player?

O'Reilly will not fix the Canucks scoring woes, and a top six scoring forwards is much more needed than another two-way forward.

Actually, I agree with you Kovy. He would be a great addition to the team but relying on him solely to fix the scoring problem would be absurd. Ryan can chip in a few goals here and there, mostly a passer but has a good shot and can produce points but bottom line isn't an offensive player that can get us over the hump.

If we were to get him, it'd be Booth bought out and sign a top end strict scoring forward to balance out the lines. Then we'd be set but getting ROR alone, you're actually right :)

How many does Chicago have?

Oh you're talking about the ones that put up 70+ point seasons and get nominated for selkes while doing so? You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

So you're telling me acquiring Ryan O'Reilly will solve the canucks problem which is scoring. Sure he's still very young but he hasn't surpassed 18 goals in his career. And along with Ryan Kesler, jannik Hansen , Chris Higgins you think the canucks need another two way forward?

The canucks need a player who's job is solely to put the puck in the net

You obviously don't know much about O'Reilly.

22 year old excellent defensive center with big offensive potential that had a 55 point season as a 20 year old. Not too mention he's got decent size on him too at 6'0" 200lbs.

Trust me I know who Ryan O'Reilly is. You clearly don't know anything even about hockey looking at you proposing that Florida takes Booth back and we acquire Campbell at half price. :lol:

Like you said he is a defensive center. And 6'0 200 lbs is not big by any means although yeah he's got some grit to him.

Like I said in my above post, acquiring O'Reilly will not solve this teams scoring woes and you would be silly to think that.

The Sedins window for doing some damage before they start declining is quick and to wait for a defensive minded center to hopefully develop into a 30 goal scorer is not the answer. O'Reilly has never put up 20 goals and most he's put up is 18. Players that can pot 18 goals are not hard to come by and actually come at a very cheaper price.

This club needs a player who can score some goals, a top three winger to be exact. And please don't say that Sedins will get going once burrows is back and there our 30 goal scorer. If the Sedins need Alex burrows to get their offense going then there is something terribly wrong and maybe burrows should get the 7 million dollar deal.

Any chance they'd take Hansen, Corrado and a pick? I just don't see MG moving Edler in this sort of deal, considering the risk of resigning and what he presumably turned down from DET last summer.

Salary cap issues

I dunno his cap hit is pretty big and will take $6.5mil to qualify him this summer. Is he really worth that?

That really doesn't matter if he is going to be traded he is going to be traded before the trade deadline because then that team that trades for him has time to work out a contract so he doesn't become an RFA and qualify for that 6.5 million.

He's making 5 mil for literally this year only then he is a UFA... His contract isnt bad at all.

He's an RFA that if he doesn't get signed to an extension will have to be signed to 6.5 million for one year in order to qualify him. If the AV's choose not to qualify him to the 6.5 million he will then instantly become a UFA that will never happen if the AV's can't get him resigned or don't want to qualify him he will be traded and that team will then try to sign him and if they cant do that they will definitely qualify him at 6.5

He's an RFA that if he doesn't get signed to an extension will have to be signed to 6.5 million for one year in order to qualify him. If the AV's choose not to qualify him to the 6.5 million he will then instantly become a UFA that will never happen if the AV's can't get him resigned or don't want to qualify him he will be traded and that team will then try to sign him and if they cant do that they will definitely qualify him at 6.5

The qualifying contract is pretty hefty, I agree. He isn't the right fit for what we need either, so I'd say no to him. If we did need another young two way center his contract wouldn't be too bad though.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt Edler's NT clause kick in July 1st? Wouldn't there be a window to move him then? I honestly don't know if any other team really knows too much about Tanev.. almost feels like he is a well kept secret here in Vancouver.

Under the new CBA, if a player signs an extension with an NTC, and is at a point where he'd be a UFA (if not under contract), the clause kicks in immediately.

Actually, I agree with you Kovy. He would be a great addition to the team but relying on him solely to fix the scoring problem would be absurd. Ryan can chip in a few goals here and there, mostly a passer but has a good shot and can produce points but bottom line isn't an offensive player that can get us over the hump.

If we were to get him, it'd be Booth bought out and sign a top end strict scoring forward to balance out the lines. Then we'd be set but getting ROR alone, you're actually right

Here the common misconception. Canucks aren’t scoring, so that means we need to obtain a goal scorer. For example right now we have scored 1 goal in the last three games, but it’s not because we don’t have a true sniper, it’s simply because our team and star players are way underperforming I don’t care who you put on the twins line they are simply not putting in the effort lately and become invisible at times. We shouldn’t expect the twins to completely carry the team but we can and should be expecting 1-2 goals a game coming from our first line which hasn’t happened in a long time. Unfortunately even if we do bring in a pure goal sniper we still need our star players to play at what their true value is.

We have put the money and term into the Sedin’s our goal scoring woes start and end with them. We can’t put that much emphasis on the secondary scoring at the Sedin’s are taking up the majority of offensive zone opportunity (PP). Imagine what the Pens would look like if Crosby and Malkin stopped scoring, or the Duck with Perry and Getzlaf. It’s up to them (the players) to figure this slump out not so much the GM.

A player like O’Reilly would greatly help out the Canucks. His a younger more offensive version of Ott. He is the type of players that will drive to the net when everyone else is playing perimeter hockey. He provides that option that when players like the twins are not producing they can be replaced. Guys like him are key to playoff success.

O'Reilly is perfect and especially for Horvats development, only having to look a line up to find how you need to play

A far better option is a guy that has far more NHL experience and a selke...Lets get one of those...O wait that's right we already do...Kesler is the guy that would be perfect mentoring Horvat

What I would do is keep Kesler and find a way to get both Kane and O'Reilly

Kane - O'Reilly - Kesler

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Higgins - Horvat - Burrows

Sestito - Richardson - Santorelli

A very quick rebuild that would put us right back in the mix of being contenders.

Lol I'm sure gillis would do it too if it was doable

Archived