The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2014 NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Yeah I had Barbs 12-15 as well. I am honestly shocked he dropped.

Ya I can't believe he didn't go in the 1st round.

Fair enough. I read your posts regularly and you always have reasoned opinions.

Another comment though; teams rarely draft for positional needs for certain positions because quality wingers and defence can be had through other avenues. Obviously not elite defensemen either, those are usually drafted too, although that position seems to be a bit more of a crap shoot in drafting because they take longer to develop.

Loading up on centremen in the draft I think is a smart oraganizational approach because there will be many personnel changes over the next couple of years that will address our other needs through trade and FA.

The more I think about it the more I like it, McCann is a good player for sure, my issue isn't really him, he's got good upside, Scherbak just would have been great.

I think its more of my frustration about taking Virtanen & some of the other moves we made compounded with this last pick that leave me feeling disappointed about the day.

"I've never thought about being a Vancouver Canuck. It is what it is."

Ouch...

Yet McCann says his favorite-player is definitely Ryan Kesler....I think it's safe to say that he thought he'd be selected by a very different group of teams.

With a favorite player like Ryan Kesler tho'...it probably signals that he thinks Kes' pompous schtick is well-worth emulating too. Hey - Trev? What's happening here? Put the organization's life coaches, mentors & counsellors to work.....will ya? A course correction or 2....may be in order.

I'm left a just little tepid about this draft results after the 1st round...after all of the manoeuverings to trade Kes. Not a home run... but its way too early to predict the future. Trust in JB - these players are ow assets to be moved around a chess-board...and I think JB knows how to play the game well-enough by now.

Aight, I've never heard such whining about having a plethora of big two-way centres in the prospect pool.

A. Two-way does not mean offensively deficient. Guys like Bergeron, Toews, Kopitar can all score. That doesn't mean they're the best players in the league, but they're strong and effective players that teams need to win.

B. Centres, in general, can be converted to wing more easily than vice versa.

C. You can still use them as trade bait. McCann was the best player available at 24. Even if he doesn't 'fill a need' or he's 'redundant', his value is higher (for the time being) than other guys we drafted there. So guys can be moved for pieces that do help fill a need.

The more I think about it the more I like it, McCann is a good player for sure, my issue isn't really him, he's got good upside, Scherbak just would have been great.

I think its more of my frustration about taking Virtanen & some of the other moves we made compounded with this last pick that leave me feeling disappointed about the day.

Funny how we all have different perspectives. I'm happy about the moves Benning made today. In the near term I don't think we're as good a team as we were yesterday, but in the long view I think we're set up much better to move ahead and contend sooner.

Buffalo @ 31

NYI @ 32

STL @ 33

CGY @ 34

TB @ 35

VAN @ 36

Top 6 Players left - Barbashev, McKeown, Demko, Lemieux, MacInnis, Dougherty

Buffalo: Dougherty

NY Islanders: Lemieux

St. Louis: Barbashev

Calgary: Demko

Tampa: MacInnis

Vancouver: Mckeown

In my opinion.

Funny how we all have different perspectives. I'm happy about the moves Benning made today. In the near term I don't think we're as good a team as we were yesterday, but in the long view I think we're set up much better to move ahead and contend sooner.

Yeah Im excited about the future for sure, we got another 2 first rounders out of this draft, so your always going to be happy about that.

I'm looking forward to tommorrow & to training camp.

Buffalo: Dougherty

NY Islanders: Lemieux

St. Louis: Barbashev

Calgary: Demko

Tampa: MacInnis

Vancouver: Mckeown

In my opinion.

Buffalo has many defencemans in their system. Risolainen, Pysyk, McCabe, Zadorov, Florentino, Ruhwedel. I don't think they need to take one in the 2nd round.

Calgary has Jon Gillies I don't see them taking another goalie till late.

I hope we can land McKeown but if I'm general managers how do I pass him over?

Archived